Torquay United V Concord Rangers 17 Nov 2018

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Another dominant display from the first minute and 8 goals in 2 games gives us +14 equal top with 2 others.
What really pleased me was the first goal when we tried something Concord did not expect and scored.
It tells me what a great Manager we now have because I have been pleading for several years for more imagination with free kicks and now we are seeing clear signs of what is possible.
Huge credit to the players but Gary Johnson and his merry men must also take a lot of credit for transforming our style of play and after years of dross we are now seeing fast fluid entertaining football.
We the fans now look forward to every game.
Still 4 more games to the half way stage in the season but we are looking more like genuine contenders but, and it is a big but, very reliant on our Bristol City loanees who give us the edge because of their stand out quality.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Decided to go at the last minute. It was more or less a repeat of Tuesday night as the opposition ended up demoralized after about ten minutes.

A blazing howler by their keeper in the first minute gifted Janneh his first and it was more or less all over that as Concord were simply blown away and created precisely nothing all game.

Kalala must be the signing of the season - He was simply unplayable. Edwards looked a bit one dimensional in comparison when Kalala went off.

Their keeper who had an inept first half and raised his game in the second half and although understandably it fizzled out he saved them from an even bigger drubbing.

Our keeper let their only shot on target through his legs but really it could have been 8-1.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Hammdog if it is a 3 horse race who are your 3 runners?
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

portugull wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 20:14 Hammdog if it is a 3 horse race who are your 3 runners?
Us, Billericay, Woking.

Feel like welling will drop off once we’ve played them. Not played hard teams yet, when they have they’ve lost
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Not sure about Billericay. If you look at the form table Dartford are top we are 2nd and Truro amazingly are 3rd.
Billericay are 8th and again today very lucky to get a point at mighty Hungerford!
My 3 are TUFC Woking and Dartford.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Got to hand it to Brucie - he predicted we would steamroller Concord and how right he was. I bet you're pleased you made the trip, Brucie. I was expecting a much tougher game than that. What a nasty, niggly team Concord were. Full of failed, or past it, ex-league players who know all the sly tricks of the trade. But enough of that - what a great performance by Gary Johnson's warriors. What a difference he has made in the relatively short time he has been at Plainmoor. That free kick routine for the first goal was training-ground perfection. Another thing I have noticed is that we are taking throw ins much quicker. None of the previous 'wait for players to be marked' before taking a throw. Players are immediately ready to receive the ball so that the impetus is not lost. Ben Wynter is particularly good with his throw ins.

There are still only a few points separating the top half dozen or so sides, so too early to narrow it down to just three or four sides. If I'd had to pick four, I'd say Billericay, Welling, Woking and us (in no particolar order). In my opinion, Welling are dark horses because they are consistently picking up points and staying in the top two or three. It will be interesting to see how we play against them in a couple of weeks time. But trying to keep my feet firmly on the ground - I think if we put in performances like this afternoon, we have a very good chance of promotion.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

portugull wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 20:31 Not sure about Billericay. If you look at the form table Dartford are top we are 2nd and Truro amazingly are 3rd.
Billericay are 8th and again today very lucky to get a point at mighty Hungerford!
My 3 are TUFC Woking and Dartford.
Billericay will go on a poor run and sign another solid player. They’ll be up there
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

tomogull wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 21:47 Got to hand it to Brucie - he predicted we would steamroller Concord and how right he was. I bet you're pleased you made the trip, Brucie. I was expecting a much tougher game than that. What a nasty, niggly team Concord were. Full of failed, or past it, ex-league players who know all the sly tricks of the trade. But enough of that - what a great performance by Gary Johnson's warriors. What a difference he has made in the relatively short time he has been at Plainmoor. That free kick routine for the first goal was training-ground perfection. Another thing I have noticed is that we are taking throw ins much quicker. None of the previous 'wait for players to be marked' before taking a throw. Players are immediately ready to receive the ball so that the impetus is not lost. Ben Wynter is particularly good with his throw ins.

There are still only a few points separating the top half dozen or so sides, so too early to narrow it down to just three or four sides. If I'd had to pick four, I'd say Billericay, Welling, Woking and us (in no particolar order). In my opinion, Welling are dark horses because they are consistently picking up points and staying in the top two or three. It will be interesting to see how we play against them in a couple of weeks time. But trying to keep my feet firmly on the ground - I think if we put in performances like this afternoon, we have a very good chance of promotion.
A perfect summary . Lets hope we can dish out to Welling what we did today !!
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

tomogull wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 21:47 Full of failed, or past it, ex-league players who know all the sly tricks of the trade.
Yes, having them throw themselves to the floor (always a head injury, apparently) every time they were caught unawares as we broke forward got very tiresome....
TUST member 203
Paigntonfan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke young

Post by Paigntonfan »

A fantastic result, I listened on the tufc radio as usual, seemed right from the start Torquay dominated, agree it could easily have been 8=0 plus.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

Torquay have nothing to fear from any side in this league. We now have an experienced top class manager for the first time in many years and, even if he cannot retain some of the present players, he is more than capable of filling any vacancies. I confidently expect Torquay at the top of the league by the end of the season.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

A fantastic performance from all. A wonder strike from Reid and a 34 minute hat trick from Jannah will take the headlines but for me Evans is different class in this league. Head and shoulders better than any other player at this level. I am hoping Bristol City play well as a change of manager could see loan players recalled. Concorde Twitter very complementary of our team and hospitality. Some saying we are the best team in the league!! Great reaction from the subs warming up after Reid's strike. There's are real team spirit from young ambitious players who clearly want success.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Did you notice the buzz of conversation that went round the ground after Reid's goal. It was such a good strike that it was as if some couldn't believe what they had seen and wanted to talk to whoever was next to them about it to share the moment.
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

I'm not only worried about the Bristol lads being called back but also league clubs looking at GJ,he's to good a manager for this league.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Just arrived back in the north west and wow what a performance that was yesterday. Probably the best I have seen ever. The control, touches and team ethic was sublime. The wind was in our favour in the 1st half, the 2nd half the control and passing play was not a team playing in the conf south. As for Reid's goal, as I was in the popside the general consensus was initially was it a goal, no one seemed to celebrate straight away. That has to be the goal of the season. If it finished 7-1 no one could argue. The end of match applauds clearly shows this club has the spirit back .
Lucy