Is a reality check needed ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 07:58 Lots of young talent with really exciting ability... when you need experienced heads particularly in adversity...The better opponents are more more street-wise .

tomogull wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 00:55 We are a side of young players, including the Bristol loanees. This showed against Woking

To counter-balance the perception that our young talent contributed to our defeat, a Woking fan posted on this forum:

charltonlaw wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 14:34 Woking fan here...Our 3 midfielders were all teenagers (due to injuries) and did brilliantly

This appears to contradict the experienced street wise theory? from a Woking perspective.

Our manager GJ response to our defeat was not reflective of players age but of players who "need to show a lot more" as only one or two players " looked like they had the ability to go and win the game". GJ response to our ineffectiveness to beat top teams is to go an find "the players to do that". For me our saving grace has been the Bristol City starletts and my biggest fear is Bristol City call them back before GJ finds suitable replacements.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Or our family link disappears, I look anxiously at Bristol City's results 2 wins in the last 10 games
both with injury time winners, let's hope their Chairman doesn't do anything silly
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

MellowYellow wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 18:19

To counter-balance the perception that our young talent contributed to our defeat, a Woking fan posted on this forum:

This appears to contradict the experienced street wise theory? from a Woking perspective.
I would argue that we looked stronger in midfield and won the midfield battle. And Woking looked to have several more experienced players in other positions. Even Ben Gerring must be considered as being experienced at this level compared with all of our side except Davis & Dickson.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

At no point do I disagree that our team needs at least two or three old heads to guide young talented starlets, although given the maturity and play of Connor Lemonheigh-Evans (age 21) maybe a few more youngsters may be the order of the day.

The point I am trying to make is every player in the team - irrespective of age - will have relative strengths and weaknesses in their position. Their suitability or otherwise to us will be determined by what we are looking for in that position which is determined by the philosophy set by the club and/or by the manager and the needs of the team at that particular time.

From reading between the lines, I think our manager GJ is telling us we are still short of technically competent players (irrespective of their age) that demonstrate an understanding for their position. And that, I think, is the hub of the question as to why we lost against Woking.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

The key to me is to is consistency in that the team needs to perform well over 90 minutes rather than 45 and this will come with experience and training as well as the possible introduction of a couple more players. The squad we have are not bad - sure GJ may ship out a couple more but even in our last three games although winless we have shown we have potential.
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

Wolborough wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 06:17 The key to me is to is consistency in that the team needs to perform well over 90 minutes rather than 45 and this will come with experience and training as well as the possible introduction of a couple more players. The squad we have are not bad - sure GJ may ship out a couple more but even in our last three games although winless we have shown we have potential.
Agree with your post, the concern is that the more time it takes to find consistency the trickier it will be to aim for the top. I still have the opinion that we can win the league, I thought Bath were the only team to have played some football against us, lots of long ball stuff from other teams, but that was when Mr Negative was the manager... anyway, crucial game this evening!