Mr Owers steps down

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Quit frankly it was a shit show how Reid skied that shot from 5 years our blows my mind. There keeper mind was a good laugh.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Yes and I was there too. I'm all for giving Owers every chance; you're clearly the opposite and that's your right. I'm more a Sunshine Superman than a Mellow Yellow.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Trying to find the right descriptive adjective to reply to your support of Ower's - astounded - shocked - stunned. Your easy to please that's for sure - like the 'Hurdy Gurdy Man'. But seriously how many chances can we afford to give him (taken into account last seasons efforts)! At least he did say in his after match interview that he will review his addiction to 5-3-2 formations over the week-end. Don't think he has any other option as like last season its a losing formula.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 23:09 There are some quite frankly ludicrous comments on her. I mean we have conceded one goal in five games which in my book is pretty impressive making us a solid side. Some of Owers signings are looking pretty good to me.

I notice that some fool was whinging on about Owers replacing the goalkeeper today - well the replacement saved a penalty and kept a clean sheet.

Well done to him and congratulations to Mr Owers on shoring up last seasons pathetic defence. We all know that we need to score more goals but some of the comments on here as well as drunken buffoons berating poor Mr Owers. Absolutely disgraceful behavior and Mr Owers has done nothing to deserve being on the end of such abhorrent behaviour.

Scott Brehaut has never seen a game of football in his life and couldn't lace Mr Owers boots on his knowledge of the game so he would be far better off keeping his big trap shut.

Lets get behind the teams which s going ok at the moment in my view. New season, new team but one which is showing some potential.

For goodness sake get behind them manager - Nicholson has gone - get over it.
Come on, Brucie - you're just playing devil's advocate. I was one of the 'fools' who posted that Bass shouldn't have replaced Macdonald and I still stand by that. Just because Bass saved a penalty does not justify Macdonald being left out. In my view, he has played extremely well. Just check back to see how regularly he has figured in the 'five best players'. I repeat that it is not good for morale when players see a team-mate dropped for no reason.

No - I was not at Slough today nor at Oxford on Tuesday night. On Tuesday, several posted that Bawling was 'star player' when he came on and so you would have thought he would have started today. But no - he was on the bench again. Owers has brought in some reasonable players, but he will not get us out of this league unless he adopts a more attack-minded style. Three of our next four games are at home. This gives Owers a chance to prove that he can turn things around. You say that 'the team is going okay at the moment'. Well, Woking who came down with us have got 12 points - 4 more than us. That's what I would describe as 'going okay at the moment'.
Last edited by tomogull on 19 Aug 2018, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

MellowYellow wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 23:38 Trying to find the right descriptive adjective to reply to your support of Ower's - astounded - shocked - stunned. Your easy to please that's for sure - like the 'Hurdy Gurdy Man'. But seriously how many chances can we afford to give him (taken into account last seasons efforts)! At least he did say in his after match interview that he will review his addiction to 5-3-2 formations over the week-end. Don't think he has any other option as like last season its a losing formula.
Without wanting to be facetious here, are tactics and formations really THAT important in this league?

I mean Torquay are full time and professional. Most other teams aren't. Therefore they should be more organised, flexible, adaptable, skilful, fitter, agile, stronger and more motivated to succeed as they are playing for perhaps the biggest club in the league and are commanding a wage that reflects this.

Surely the way to go is to dominate teams and overpower them with all the superior aspects mentioned above? Not to do the opposite and let the opposition show that it's they who deserve the professional contracts.

You get 1 or 2 up against some of these teams and you're laughing but under Owers and these dire players it's always a struggle.

How can you lose to Oxford City one day and pretty much the next be glad that Slough (YES! SLOUGH!) miss a penalty so you can get something from a game?

Just chuck men forward and attack in numbers. It's highly likely you'll win or draw playing vibrant, high tempo football. If you lose then it's better than losing by simply trying to not get beaten by the likes of Slough.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

brucie wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 23:09 There are some quite frankly ludicrous comments on her. I mean we have conceded one goal in five games which in my book is pretty impressive making us a solid side. Some of Owers signings are looking pretty good to me.

I notice that some fool was whinging on about Owers replacing the goalkeeper today - well the replacement saved a penalty and kept a clean sheet.

Well done to him and congratulations to Mr Owers on shoring up last seasons pathetic defence. We all know that we need to score more goals but some of the comments on here as well as drunken buffoons berating poor Mr Owers. Absolutely disgraceful behavior and Mr Owers has done nothing to deserve being on the end of such abhorrent behaviour.

Scott Brehaut has never seen a game of football in his life and couldn't lace Mr Owers boots on his knowledge of the game so he would be far better off keeping his big trap shut.

Lets get behind the teams which s going ok at the moment in my view. New season, new team but one which is showing some potential.

Scott didn't say he was going to **** off and support Exeter though did he? At least i was true to my word and went off and supported another club regardless of the rights and wrongs of it and knew of the consequences. Courage of convictions. Scott would be more of a fan than you despite him not seeing many games.

Giving praise for being a solid side in NLS is **** ludicrous. Fair enough if Torquay ever get into league 1 or the Championship then by all means keep as many clean sheets as you want but it's NLS and you are accepting lower and lower expectations every season as the club gradually slip lower and lower.

Clean sheets dont' matter a shit in this league. Not when you should be banging in 2's, 3's and 4's most weeks. Not arrogance. Realistic expectation.

(Awaits predictable '**** off' retort).
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Yorkieandy wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 00:26
Without wanting to be facetious here, are tactics and formations really THAT important in this league?

I mean Torquay are full time and professional.
The simple answer is 'Yes' it does absolutely matter. But lets not get deluded here - we are most certainly full-time but can we claim to be 'professional'? Aren't we now just like everyone else in this league, a non-league club playing regional football. Aren't we the team that recently lost against a modest part-time Oxford side and as you rightly say 'got something out of today's game because Slough missed a penalty'. If we want to regain our professional status we need to start playing in a professional manner and that requires good managerial guidance, correct coaching, advanced tactics and 'fit for purpose' formations.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

It's a fair comment mellow yellow and i don't doubt that managers make a difference at this level but players have to take responsibility on the field at times and the pressure will be greater now because simply they are full time and most of the opposition aren't. A manager can only do so much.

For example if Torquay had Martin Allen instead of Owers right now, the players would know what's been served up since day one is nowhere near acceptable although to give Brucie some credit, it's not a disaster. It's a solid start.

Solid starts though are ok if you've just come up from the league below but Torquay have come down from the league above,are full time and the biggest club in the league. For that reason alone, a 'solid start' isn't acceptable.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Priceless.

When the going gets tough, Terry usually **** off. Can’t be bothered when everything’s turning to shit. Goes to a match this season and suddenly thinks he’s some **** guru on all things Gary Owers. Well, so far your mate has relegated this club into this division and isn’t doing the best job in trying to get us out of it.

I’ve not called for his head yet, because it’s early in the season - I disagreed with the sacking of Nico for the same reason - if you back them in the summer, give them a chance to prove that backing first before getting rid if it’s not working.

However, I am frustrated at the results, both today’s and our loss in midweek to Oxford against teams that are part time and shouldn’t, without sounding big headed, be hard to beat for a bunch of full time players, most of which have played at this level or above and we could and should be doing better.

I hope Owers comes good, I really do, but it’s not looking great based on the evidence so far both this season and last, and he needs to change things fast, figure out a forward line that works or get somebody in who can score goals because as great as it is keeping clean sheets, scoring goals and actually winning games is the main aim of football, and promotion won’t happen any other way.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Kingsgull83
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Kingsgull83 »

For those defending Owers and the 1 goal conceded in 5 games you are entitled to your opinion and I agree it isn’t always good to make changes early on in the season but don’t you think we should be setting out sights higher?
This is the lowest level we have played at in my memory, we are a full time team playing in a part time league (I did say pub league earlier and judging by some players I have seen this isn’t far from the truth)
We should be hoping for more, it looks like we have some good individuals but they are playing as individuals, we need someone to bring them together get a good team spirit and get them playing and scoring goals.
I don’t believe Owers is our man.
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

He's had 5 games with an 8 point return, pathetic in this league. The next 5 games are 3 home and 2 away. 9 points from the home games no excuses. 6 points from 2 easy away games are required. 5 wins, anything less against these teams will be failure. Only then, if our form reads W7D2L1, can he say things are OK and we're moving forward.
This is not unreasonable, fanciful or unrealistic in this part time awful league.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I don't buy this "we are full-time professionals so should be beating the opposition easily each week" argument.

By being fully professional at this level we are getting the dregs of the professional game. Non-one worth their salt as a pro would want to come to a club in free-fall for a short term contract.

There are many talented part-timers out there (certainly more talented than the crowd we have recruited) who know they cannot earn nearly enough to support their families if they went full-time and so ply their trade at this level whilst holding down another job. We are coming up against them each game as many of the match reports indicate.

Our problem is that the local jobs market is just not attractive for those part-timers and so we are stuck with either looking even further down the part-time pecking order or accepting the dregs of the professional game.

How do we get out of this Catch 22? I am running out of hope. Perhaps recruiting a young manager with imagination, new ideas and inspiration?
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

38 games, 10 wins. Relegation. 5 games in lower level, 3 goals. Why are we even considering this. He HAS to go if we want promotion.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Unfortunately turning up and stuffing poor teams week in week out isn't thay easy. Take Tuesdays match - it was played on some ludicrous football pitch that had been doctored to make the game a complete lottery as it appeared you couldn't kick the ball more than 5 inches. That isn't an excuse its a fact.

Everyone blames Jamie Reid for everything but to my mind Williams has been absolutely fecking useless this season. This endless witchunt against Reid is diabolical - I just wish everyone would get off his back and at least give the bloke a fair crack. How the **** can the bloke be expected to produce anything with constant barrage of criticism. Maybe he isn't the answer but as in the Bath game people shouting at him after 20 minutes (when in fact he had set up nicely for the completely useless Williams to miss the target) whats that going to do for his confidence.

Perhaps he isn't the problem? - perhaps replacing Williams is the answer.

We are short of two strikers not just one. On current form Williams isn't the answer and looks poor. Two decent strikers and I honestly believe we would be top of the league.

We have two wingers who don't get utilized - and I guess that's a problem. Calls for sacking the bloke are just daft. The situation as regards Nicholson and Owers are completely different.

Owers has made some decent signings for a start. I don't think we are so far off as some people think.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

We were miles off yesterday Bruce.