Is Hargreaves fit for purpose?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

To be fair I think many teams would like to have Alan Devonshire as Manager as it seems he has a very good eye for a player however having just played Braintree and looking at their results are they any better than your team? I am not sure,they play nice football and have a couple of very good players (Akinola is definitely one of the best players I have seen in the Conference this season yet has only scored I believe 4 goals.) However I would say they were better than the side we played at Plainmoor but NOT better than the team performance you put in at the Mem. As for an eye for a player I would say CH did pretty well to get both Young and Bowman who IMO are up there with the best in this division. I would also add that I believe I am right in saying that Devonshire is a VERY experienced Conference Manager.
Fans opinions on Managers are always very interesting and we are no different in some ways as although we are top of the League there are still some with questions against Daryl Clarke.
I always say that the main part the Manager plays is in Team Selection, signings and even more importantly the way the team plays. I say the way the team plays because that is the one he has total control of whereas the others are pretty well governed by other factors such as signings are governed by how much money you have and also location plays a big part. It is certainly true that northern teams and London teams have a big advantage on getting players due to loower wages up north and more teams and of course more teams and better quality available within London. Team Selection is obviously governed by the players he has available and this can often be "other managers players".
From that I would wonder how you lot feel Ch has done in terms of the way he plays the team. From the two games against us and the televised Barnet games he certainly seemed to change things around and early on in the season you seemed to be able to score goals for fun.
I always think that mid table is the most difficult area to judge whether a Manager should be sacked or kept.
Looking from the outside I would say from the responses on this thread that the majority are probably still in favour of CH and so he will probably be kept. Usually forums are 90% against the Manager when they are eventually sacked and fans can definitely govern the Managers future. Lose the fans completely and the Managers days are numbered.
Good luck. You can go on a good run now with the fixtures you have left as most clubs good runs seems to coincide with a lot of games against the bottom clubs minus the odd freak result ie Telfords win at Wrexham.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Would imagine you Gasheads are delighted with Daryl Clarke at the moment given your current run.Reckon automatic promotion is very much on now;not many thought you would get back into the league straight away;certainly not as Champions anyway.Having said that you are due a bad run and there are teams ready to take advantage.If it is the play-offs instead wouldn't bet against Grimsby winning the final.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Discuss.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:Discuss.
It's not looking good for the lad. His team. His management. His failure. Hopefully, now the maths means we won't have silly talk of play-offs any more, and we can just look to next season when it comes to selections.

If Ling had come back we'd be League 1 at best, League 2 at worst. We just didn't know how good we had it and have paid the price ever since.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:Discuss.

Absolutely : dis-cuss-ted.

:engflag:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

:goodpost:
Rjc70 wrote: It's not looking good for the lad. His team. His management. His failure. Hopefully, now the maths means we won't have silly talk of play-offs any more, and we can just look to next season when it comes to selections.

If Ling had come back we'd be League 1 at best, League 2 at worst. We just didn't know how good we had it and have paid the price ever since.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Dave_Pougher wrote:How about he really wanted to be Torquay manager more than any other job.
How about he is to blame and he knows it
How about he is hurting right now for things he can be blamed for,as well as the things he can not.
How about he's being blamed for team selections in which he had no choice.
How about he wishes to be successful at TUFC more than anything else
How about he has ideas and is unable to implement them through no fault of his own.
How about the players, the staff, the support are all blaming him and he is absorbing that pressure for the sake of TUFC
How about he's had other offers and has turned them down and wants to be here.
How about he's doing his best for TQY because he wants to and we've had precious few of those over the last ten years.
How about he already knows what he is try to do next season and knows it won't be easy but knows it's the right thing for the good of the club?

What you support him through this?

How about we revitalise the Durrell Berry Crowd Funding appeal, add to the money already pledged and start the .........."Hapless" Hargreaves Removal Fund
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

Hargreaves was ill-equipped for the job from the beginning. I can only assume he was appointed on sentimental grounds. Back in October I had grave doubts about his ability, hence this thread, and, sadly. these doubts have now been exemplified by the results.
If CH has United's interest at heart he will submit his resignation this weekend. If he fails to do so then we can only assume that his salary is more important to him.
Even SG may now be having doubts.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

As an aside, I'm hoping Gueguen and Ajala missed the starting line-up for no other reason than Hargreaves wanting to look at other players. If he dropped them on merit, he's lost the plot.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

NO!!!

Said that from day one.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

No doubts whatsoever.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote:No doubts whatsoever.
:rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Tamargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tamargull »

I get fed up with people talking about the constraints CH has to work under. All managers work under constraints and situations they have not made but have inherited. For me, today really did confirm my belief that we need a new manager. A minimum would have been the players fighting hard for a win and showing some real passion and desire. Hargreaves failed to motivate them after a shocking display against Wrexham, that was clear from the radio commentary. CH might be a great coach but he does not appear able to motivate the squad or instil self belief. We have fallen so far in the last few seasons and no sign that the decline has stopped. Sorry, but time for CH to go.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Rjc70 wrote:As an aside, I'm hoping Gueguen and Ajala missed the starting line-up for no other reason than Hargreaves wanting to look at other players. If he dropped them on merit, he's lost the plot.
Surely by that logic, Gueguen would have started instead of Downes or Pearce as both of them will be gone this summer. I'd stick him at right-back on Tuesday because Dawson was abysmal. The omission of Ajala is just baffling.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

tommyg wrote: Surely by that logic, Gueguen would have started instead of Downes or Pearce as both of them will be gone this summer. I'd stick him at right-back on Tuesday because Dawson was abysmal. The omission of Ajala is just baffling.
Taxilady has mentioned on another forum that CH rested Richards and Ajala as he felt they needed it and mentioned this in interview. Fair enough, but our player of the month didn't require a rest.