Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Fully respect the Glory Years, and that is exactly what they were.
The year we were running away with the Nl , sides were so far behind they needed a snooker, the year we should have wrapped up the League, but for injuries ect.........the year we should have seen it over the line by winning the league, and in hindsight should have maybe got a loan striker to see us over the line.....we didn't and it has to be asked why we didn't ? Who made the decision we would cope and avoid the Play Offs ? It was our best chance. Instead we end up in the Play Offs, yes that lottery and we all can blame the referee at Ashton Gate......the reality is we should have been up long before.
Respect the Glory Years ........but this is today, this is the reality.......this is now
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

We’ve gone backwards, that’s all that matters today. We had some great times under GJ but it’s time for a change, 3 wins in 21 is all you need to know. These players need fresh ideas, it isn’t working and we’re now 6 points adrift.
Steve_TUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Steve_TUFC »

:goodpost:
knightmaregull wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 02:23 Whatever happens, whether we stay or or go down. Whether Gary's gone now or in years to come. I for one will always hold him in the highest esteem and in my lifetime, behind only Leroy in giving me the most enjoyable football and teams to watch. The NLS year was awesome and the Ashton Gate year quote simply got me through the depression of covid and lock down. I can't be alone in that.

I implore everyone to remember the state of the club when he came in and how, but for horrible luck with injuries, we'd have been back in the league. He's conducted himself openly and with professionalism of the like we've not had for many years.

Okay, it may well be time for a change (personally I'm not quite there yet but respect those who do). But, please please think twice before throwing around unnecessarily personal insults and attacks on the man (and Aaron). He's not defrauded us. He's not lied to us. He's given his all from day one and will be hurting as much as any of us.

Let's keep perspective and maintain a level of respect and civility that Gary's 'glory years' deserve.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I've just read the last post about Gary Johnson and the glory years/NLS I understand the comments and I do respect the post, but to "celebrate" winning the 6th tier of the football pyramid,and to be the only full-time outfit in the league,I'd say that it wasn't that hard of achievement to be honest with you, for sure Gary got us promoted, and very unlucky in the NL playoff final, but that season we had a big dip in form,and at one stage we were comfortably top of the league,we probably should of gone up automatically,We've had some good managers in the times Ive watched TUFC,GJ wouldn't be in my top 5, since I started watching in 1983.,but that's only my view, basically basing a lot of thinking on the level we're at now,and the standard of things against the 80s and 90's era.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 17:44 to "celebrate" winning the 6th tier of the football pyramid,and to be the only full-time outfit in the league,I'd say that it wasn't that hard of achievement to be honest with you,
Exactly. Percy Mackrill, Eric Webber, Frank O'Farrrell, John Impey, Leroy Rosenior and Paul Buckle all achieved promotions at a higher level with Torquay United.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Cheddargull wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 13:03 Exactly. Percy Mackrill, Eric Webber, Frank O'Farrrell, John Impey, Leroy Rosenior and Paul Buckle all achieved promotions at a higher level with Torquay United.
Thats when Torquay used to be closer to London and Birmingham
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Chelston TUFC wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 17:03 Thats when Torquay used to be closer to London and Birmingham
Ah, that's why it takes me so long to get down now....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Cheddargull wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 13:27 During Owers time in this division we achieved 1.08 points per game.
So far this season we have achieved 0.71 points per game.
That is how bad things are at present and a lot of people can't see it getting any better. Talk of things getting better with a couple of signings are nonsense, we already have too many loan signings which a sign of how bad the original permanent signings were.
To be honest if you were Osborne would you trust Johnson with anymore money?
Next you'll be telling me that Owers is a better manager than GJ.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Owers was next to useless as was his sidekick the thug Martin Kuhl.
But this is now and it is not looking any better.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

So 23 games in P 23 W4 YES 4 D 6 L 13 GD -19 PTS 18........... absolutely pathetic and something I was not expecting in July
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I’ve loyally supported GJ and have great respect for him and really hoped things would turn, but it’s time for a change
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

I never thought I’d say it but I agree, it’s time for a change. It can’t get any worse. There are a few moments of brilliance and excitement but there is an overwhelming amount of naivety and quality when it matters.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

GJ has done a fantastic job but the NLS is proving to be a magnet too strong to fight. He stopped the Plainmoor gates from being permanently locked but we are dancing dangerously with it again if we don’t try something else. But then can we afford to change?
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

So halfway through the season and we are still perpetuating the myth that GJ will get us out of this, I agree Knightmaregull he has never knowingly lied to us, but probably thats because he never says anything, pre match, post match, midweek briefings, everything is totally choregraphed by the club to avoid saying anything, look at the Oldham web site posted before the match, they knew that Hall was out injured for about six weeks, did you know, I certainly didnt, there is nothing on the club site.
Has Johnson ever let us know before a game that he has a new loan or signed a player which logically fills us with a little hope and more inportantly adds a few to the crowd, no we hear about it when the team sheet comes out and everyone scrambles to google this great new acquisition.
This is not a way to run a football club, well not a proffesional club, The manager should be held to account for his failings and shortcomings as should the players when we win,draw or lose, both best handled at the conclusion of the game, but that just does not happen which leads to not unreasonable frusration and annoyance.
After 23 games the team would have gelled if it was going to, there are too many weaknesses, clubs surrounding us are already strengthing while we ponder any possible throwaways in January. Lets be honest there is no great urgency is there.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

It is a total shambles from top to bottom. Owners do not give a Monkeys or a change would have happened long ago. Total embarrassment, he will take us back to where he started with us...what great planning that was. He is too bloody stubborn or he would do the decent thing and have resigned
by now. I am pleased some more of the minority that want him to stay are now realising the time to go is now......or do the comedians at the top
wait until we lose both games against Yeovil ? Shite recruiting...as I said many Months ago will cost him his job.
A sad end to it all, but it is a results business and 4 wins in 23 is disgraceful