League 2: Northampton Town vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
TeJay
New Signing
New Signing

Post by TeJay »

regiment0609 wrote:
yeah, i agree with royal, this is getting a bit tedious now.

just couldn't let the above highlighted point go by without a response tho.

that is exactly what i was saying, big club, where are the fans when you're down in 20th ?? the 400 away fans that were there last night would've been there whether we were 4th or 24th.
Well i said we'd be getting double what you get, which is generally around the 2,000-2,300 mark? Double that you're looking at 4,000 to 4,600. 4,553 there last night.

Like i said, we've been bad all season but it's not as if we've been down here all season, we've genreally fluctuated from midtable to down here.

And no, Northampton isn't a rugby town, well it wasn't until their chairman started pissing money at it
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

He's right though, this league is very weak.

How many of our current lot would get into our promotion team of 03?
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I think football generally is weaker not just League 2. From international, to Premier Leagues and all the way down.

I've seen a bit of cHampionship football this year and the standard is as bad as I've seen. Just look at some of the real big clubs in the land, are Man Utd as good as they were 2-3 years ago when Ronaldo was there? Their best players are all 35+, Chelsea, are they as good as ast season? No just another year older, Man City have spent countires debts on players, barely beat a Reading side which had 4 of their back 5 missing. Arsenal, as good as when Henry and co were there? Or a bunch of gutless kids?

Blackpool gone into the Premier League with a side they just scraped 6th in the Championship last year. a side that still includes a few of the lads that got beat here in the Cup the other year, MIGHT stay up in that league!

Closer to home, Exeter's side contains a good 50% of the players they had which finished 5th in the Conference the other year, mid table in League 1.

So it's not just as and League 2, I think we're all much of a muchness and I felt the same last year when we were narrowly losing the games we're winning this year. Fine lines.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Last point from me on this, since TJ has come armed with wild speculation and nothing more...

How many would you be getting if you had a Champions League game against Barcelona...?

Answer: It doesn't bloody matter because, like it or not, you're 20th in L2 so you don't get to play in the CL. We'll never know how many fans you'd get if you were 4th, becuase you're not 4th, you're languishing at the bottom, despite clearly being far too good for this division, or any other if some of your fans are to be believed.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

TeJay wrote: Well i said we'd be getting double what you get, which is generally around the 2,000-2,300 mark? Double that you're looking at 4,000 to 4,600. 4,553 there last night.

Like i said, we've been bad all season but it's not as if we've been down here all season, we've genreally fluctuated from midtable to down here.

And no, Northampton isn't a rugby town, well it wasn't until their chairman started pissing money at it
Be interesting to see how many you would be getting if you get relegated to Blue Square, with the attitude of some of your so called fans perhaps that direction would suit, as you would surely be a big fish in a little pond!
relegation for northampton is a real possibility, Barnet have Martin Allen back and managed a 2-2 draw vs Chesterfield today, add that to 4 games in hand for Burton and things could get real intersting for them pretty soon.
TeJay
New Signing
New Signing

Post by TeJay »

ferrarilover wrote:Last point from me on this, since TJ has come armed with wild speculation and nothing more...

How many would you be getting if you had a Champions League game against Barcelona...?

Answer: It doesn't bloody matter because, like it or not, you're 20th in L2 so you don't get to play in the CL. We'll never know how many fans you'd get if you were 4th, becuase you're not 4th, you're languishing at the bottom, despite clearly being far too good for this division, or any other if some of your fans are to be believed.

Matt.
What a ridiculous comparison.

Are we in the Champions League? No. So can we play Barcelona in the champions league? No.

Are we in League Two? Yes. Can we potentially finish 4th next season? Yes.

Armed with speculation and nothing more?

You're getting around 2,000 for home games.
In 2006 when we were last promoted from this division, our lowest home gate was 5012. We were usually getting 5800-6800. So yes it's fairly safe to assume we'd be getting somewhere around the double mark of what you get

Also, we won't be going down. So your sudden hate and grudge will have to wait. Barnet have been garbage all season, it's fine getting one result but we'll see how the rest of the season pans out. Burton have games in hand but it doesn't mean they're winning any
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I lived in Northampton in 2000 near the Charles Bradlaugh/Chronicle and echo? and I went to a few Cobblers games and then they were in the league above us when Carlo Corrzzan was there never got above 3000 -3500 in the stadium. Nice town though good pubs. Good times in the Market square.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Now it seems TJ is plucking seasons out of his arse too, excellent form, well done that man.

Go here >>> http://www.howtostructureanargumentwithoutresortingtowildspeculationbasedonirrelevantcircumstantial"evidence".com

Actually, don't, it doesn't exist, but if it did, it would be of very great assistance to you (or maybe not, I wouldn't like to speculate).

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
northyorkshiregull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: benyon

Post by northyorkshiregull »

the population of Northampton is down as 189,474 on wikipidia compared to only 64,000 for Torquay.So Northampton should really be trebling our crowds
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

TeJay to be quite honest I have had enough of Northampton fans acting like their club is something special. No matter how crap you claim this league is, even if it is true, you're in it for a reason just like us, it's just that we're doing better than you right now. Considering what we usually put up with as Torquay fans, I think we're entitled to enjoy this while it lasts. But to your lot it is inconcievable that a 'tiny', 'tinpot' and 'inferior' club such as Torquay should be in the position that they are so you try to sh*t on us from below (I was going to say a great height, but league positions suggest otherwise). I imagine if our fortunes were reversed you lot would be unbearable, most of us are actually being sensible about the whole thing, it's great but it might not work out and to be honest this season has been better than we could have hoped for.

As for all this attendances crap, what good has having more fans than us done you this season? Maybe if they all get on the pitch (which they seem keen to do) and start playing for you you might actually win a game. As it is it has meant nothing, so I'll stick to judging a team by it's performance on the pitch if you don't mind.

Also you call the Hotel End members idiots, most appear to be yes, some seem alright. But you've come on here spouting the same nonsense as they have on their forum, which makes you an idiot too.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

If you hadn't wasted so much time in substitutions we wouldn't have scored - fact
LOL love that line,,

Mystic meg is alive and well
TeJay
New Signing
New Signing

Post by TeJay »

Dave_Pougher wrote: LOL love that line,,

Mystic meg is alive and well
She doesn't need to be alive to work that out.

4 minutes added. You took say a minute with the goal celebrations, so that makes an added minute. 95 minutes. Another minute making substitutions. 96 minutes.

Oh look we scored 96th minute.

Matt, hardly plucking random seasons out of my arse. I'm comparing the position you're in to when we were last in that position in this league. Common sense more than anything
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

What's the general crux of the argument here? Northampton fans think they're too big for this league?

Well, they probably are. They're definitely a club who should be at least challenging for the playoffs, and they're definitely a club underachieving massively at the moment. Just like we're a club that's overachieving.

There was a time in the BSP when we sounded just like this minority of Cobblers fans - around the time where we couldn't buy a win in the second season. (I won't look up stats but we were near the bottom of the table.) We all felt we had a divine right to be higher up the table because we were a big club in that division. Just like Northampton are at the moment. It's all about expectations.

By the way, I say minority and bolded it up because that's all it is. I think we're generalising a bit here. Sure, we had a couple of Cobblers fans come on the forum before the opening day shouting their mouth off, but they hardly represent the whole Northampton fanbase. Personally, I've always found them to be a reasonable bunch on other forums and what not, certainly no worse than other clubs. Bury fans think they're brilliant because they won the FA Cup - and that was 100 years ago.

As for the wild celebrations at the end on Friday - isn't that common for any club equalising in the 96th minute? I'd expect the same from our fans if we equalised at Matlock or Manchester United. Yes, the pitch invasion was a bit silly, but again, it would be unfair to just tar Northampton with that brush. We'll have plenty of fans on the pitch if we make the playoffs at Rotherham's expense.

To be honest we very much sound like the small club with a chip on our shoulder here, which is just as annoying as the big club with delusions of grandeur.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

shaunicus wrote:
To be honest we very much sound like the small club with a chip on our shoulder here, which is just as annoying as the big club with delusions of grandeur.

How do you work that out? I think almost all of us on here are grounded enough to realise we're a small club as well as knowing we're in a lofty position considering our fanbase and the budget that goes with that. What seems to be the bone of contention here is the majority of Northampton fans that have posted on here have said this division is crap and they should be hunting promotion not dicing with relegation. Surely NO club has a right to be anywhere but where they find themselves, regardless of budget or size of club. It's how results go on the pitch that count, end of. Due to those we're near the top and they are not. There's no inference to me that what you say is correct.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
TeJay
New Signing
New Signing

Post by TeJay »

Southampton Gull wrote:
How do you work that out? I think almost all of us on here are grounded enough to realise we're a small club as well as knowing we're in a lofty position considering our fanbase and the budget that goes with that. What seems to be the bone of contention here is the majority of Northampton fans that have posted on here have said this division is crap and they should be hunting promotion not dicing with relegation. Surely NO club has a right to be anywhere but where they find themselves, regardless of budget or size of club. It's how results go on the pitch that count, end of. Due to those we're near the top and they are not. There's no inference to me that what you say is correct.
Given most of the circumstances, we should be higher than where we are. We should, but we're not, tough shit on us. Theres a few reasons why we're there but i'm confident in those being turned around either next season or the season after. Oh wait that's me being big headed 8/

My 'bone of contention' is how some of you managed to form the opinion that you were supposedly robbed of 3 points by some awful referee who really had an axe to grind against you. Same goes for your manager.