Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

2 points a game was a famous GJ quote . Well all those with rose tinted glasses on the facts are

P 20 W 3 D 5 L 12 GD -20 PTS 14 and we are bottom of this league . Who would have thought this in August, certainly not me.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Famous Johnson Brothers quotes....

Judge me after 10 games

Marquee signings

To me, to you

Oh dear, oh dear
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

When I posted on here just over a year ago following the debacle at Bromley and that I would never watch Torquay united again as long as Gary Johnson was manager, everyone mocked and laughed at me. You ain't laughing now, are you.
teddiebear
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by teddiebear »

Some people will always laugh at you
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I think Gary Johnson has got to go,I'm not doubting what's he's achieved in the game,his CV is superb, and the game Vs Hartlepool at Ashton Gate, that for me was a turning point,we've never really been the same since that season,last season was awful,this season it was basically 8 or 9 new first team players all joining at the same time,it was NEVER going to work out,you look at top teams in the Premier League and whenever a side gets SO many new signings all at once,it 9/10 goes t*ts up doesn't it?,and we're NL level,so it was never going to work out, decent players have gone, replaced with sub standard players who are good,no personal dig at any of them,but NL is beyond them,add all the loanees,way way to many, Inexperienced, naive,and not street wise,and sadly that has to be lie with Gary Johnson,the chopping and changing,the repeated errors,I could go on and on.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

dawlishmatt wrote: 19 Nov 2022, 21:45 When I posted on here just over a year ago following the debacle at Bromley and that I would never watch Torquay united again as long as Gary Johnson was manager, everyone mocked and laughed at me. You ain't laughing now, are you.
This sort of post is nonsense, taking joy in this situation to be 'proved right' is just tiresome
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

dawlishmatt wrote: 19 Nov 2022, 21:45 When I posted on here just over a year ago following the debacle at Bromley and that I would never watch Torquay united again as long as Gary Johnson was manager, everyone mocked and laughed at me. You ain't laughing now, are you.
We are absolutely still laughing at you, not supporting your team because of the manager is about as plastic as it can get
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 19 Nov 2022, 22:06 This sort of post is nonsense, taking joy in this situation to be 'proved right' is just tiresome
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

As I've said before the issues are deeper than just the manager. The whole club is living in the past, it needs an injection of forward thinking, a true five year plan and investment. Without this we need to accept regional football it is.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Nick Potkins wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 10:37 As I've said before the issues are deeper than just the manager. The whole club is living in the past, it needs an injection of forward thinking, a true five year plan and investment. Without this we need to accept regional football it is.
What an excellent posting - I posted something similar on here about 5 years ago and there has been no progress at all since then. Back in the day Bournemouth were no bigger than us, and look what they've achieved with proper investment and planning. Since I started attending matches at Plainmoor in 1972, all that's really changed is a nice new stand (Bristow's Bench - even part of the 'n' is missing from that!) and an electronic scoreboard. Blimey even the men's urinals are pretty much the same as 50 years ago (smelly and dark). Yes the club could get a new manager in, but as Nick says without serious funding and a long-term plan the club will just continue to fossilise.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I know what Budegull is saying,but I do believe that Torquay United is really out on a limb,yes we all support Torquay, and we're fans, but I went to my 1st game in 82/83 and we haven't really had much of a history in my time,2 promotions,relegations (to many) re-elections pre 1987,and even dropping into the 6th tier of the football pyramid,the stadium has changed,but it's ok,i remember when I first went the toilets behind the popular side stank,and they were like a maze of brickwork sure with no roof!,..we are a small team,Mike Bateson knew this fairly early into his tenure,we do well we get around 4k max,we do badly it's around 1500,and many years ago Dave Thomas said something that resonates with me, Torquay isn't a big footballing town,and a lot of people who live here,they aren't from Torquay originally,so TUFC isn't the club they support, Bournemouth have had Russian investment, paying decent wages,and I do remember them in the 90's being at championship level,plus they have a good catchment area.Torquay would need a massive cash investment to get to league 1,on and off the pitch,Exeter have done really well,great set up, training facilities, stadium and youth scheme.It could happen,but as much as this sounds heartless, I'm not sure what the appeal would be.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Too many fans still think we are a league two team. The reality is, and consider attendances here, we are a middle national league side. This season is a disappointment, but I'm confident that things will change.
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

Mr Tea808 has written the best summary of the club’s situation yet!
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

toastkid wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 15:52 Too many fans still think we are a league two team. The reality is, and consider attendances here, we are a middle national league side. This season is a disappointment, but I'm confident that things will change.
They’ll change when we are in National League South and go part time.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

toastkid wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 15:52 Too many fans still think we are a league two team. The reality is, and consider attendances here, we are a middle national league side. This season is a disappointment, but I'm confident that things will change.
Sadly that is the case.
We are one of many ex Football League clubs in the National League who all consider that our rightful place is League Two or higher.
They can't all go up and there will be clubs with money who are likely to take the top place.
In a good season we'll make the play offs.
In a bad season we'll fight relegation.
We had our rare chance for success two seasons ago and if it were not for poor refereeing would have made it back to League Two.
That chance will come again but so will the real possibility of going down.