Torquay United v Nuneaton Town – Saturday 6th September 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

forevertufc wrote: Not sure what you mean here.
Sorry, I typed that in a hurry. Why do you think he'll not score many goals?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I don't wonder, you know, if Duane's strength might not be behind the striker. He's no finisher and can't really head (which is Bowman's strength) so he's mostly wasted in the box where things are tight. However, given his effort from 25-30 yards at home to Aldershot (which, for those who haven't seen, went like it had been fired from a cannon, but straight at the keeper) and his hold up play and running would create much needed space for the rest of our front men, none of whom has the pace to genuinely outrun a properly drilled back line.

Matt.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

ferrarilover wrote:
Because in my opinion he's no natural finisher, we saw v Southport when he had 2 clear shots on goal and whacked them both straight at the keeper, and as you say let one fly at v Aldershot and went straight at the keeper again, power isn't always the right way to score a goal and a forward then tends to go for that option again is a sign he's not a natural finisher, a finisher sometimes will go for a softly, softly into the corners approach.

I think he will score some goals but have him more as a 'forward' rather than a 'striker' paragraphs 2,3,4 in Kit-robins post is pretty much in my line of thinking .
Formerly known as forevertufc
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Welcome to the Bay Boroughbrad! Don't need to cover shirts. You shouldn't have any problems with either home fans or getting into bars, vast majority of our fans are pretty friendly. Unless you're driving from the harbour to the game it's worth jumping in a taxi to the ground, to avoid a lungbusting walk up a series of hellish hills (01803 211 611 will be cheaper than the taxi rank). Boots and laces (as said before) is away fan friendly if you're having a last minute pint. Weather has been pretty good down here this week, and Sat looks partly cloudy with no rain, so the pitch should be in good shape for game day.

Our form has been hit and miss, but we have Bowman back who has looked by far our best attacker. I think we should be winning this one, especially with your recent exits and injuries, but I'm not counting any chickens, anyone can beat anyone in this league and the team that turns up on the day will take the points.
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by KeithMalone »

Whilst I agree that O'Achie and Bowman are the obvious choice to start up top on Saturday, personally I'm not too sure the partnership will be effective as neither have the pace to go in behind the defence, meaning that Nuneaton could play a high line knowing they won't get caught out by the pace of a striker onto a through ball and thus make the pitch a helluva lot smaller.

I'm sure Hargreaves knows this and is working to formulate a system ahead of Saturday that will overcome the problem. 3 points at home is a must if we want to be successful in this league this season. COYY
Boroughbrad
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Aaron downes

Post by Boroughbrad »

Thanks for the information Brooker, we will see on the day! We finished mid table last season and had some great patches of form to just fall away near the end of the season, we were right in the mix for a while but squad depth cost us in the end.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Fair enough, we see it the same (at present).

Keith, while the two centre forwards are slow enough, Cameron and Ajala/Chaps are pacy and Youngy is capable enough of hitting sufficiently clever balls that, if Nuneaton do high, we can find them out.

Matt.
IlshamSchmilsham
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Welsh

Post by IlshamSchmilsham »

I don't think you could reasonably drop O-A, but Bowman must also start, so a front two with Young and Richards in the engine room and Ajala and Cameron on the flanks would be my preferred line-up. I don't feel strongly about the left back position, but Cruise's confidence would, I feel, be more likely to suffer than the Ives's were he to be omitted after having had a reasonable game. Otherwise unchanged, although now that my theory that Pearce's continued omission was because he was on his way back to the Football League has been proved wrong, I would like to see him return to the side sooner rather than later,

Dave
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Strongly disagree with Keith & Matt on this one. For a big guy, O'Achie is surprisingly quick. Because he's big, his speed is deceptive. In the Aldershot game especially, he outpaced defenders several times and chased down balls he had no right to get to. Not really seen enough of Bowman to judge whether he is quick or not but I haven't gained the impression that he's slow. I think both should play on Saturday with Yeoman ready on the bench if it doesn't work. Duane up against Exodus Georgeham (or whatever he's called) should prove to be good entertainment on its own !
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

He's got a decent top speed about him, but by Christ it takes him a while to get there. The weakness of a high line is that it invites trouble if someone springs the offside trap. Duane isn't sufficiently accelerative to do that unless the ball is inch perfect or he starts his run on the edge of his own box and the ball is timed to perfection. It's not so much that he's slow outright, more that he's slow to become quick.

Exxodus Geohagen represented Salisbury in their PSF against us and absolutely ran the show from start to finish. He was up against Benyon and a VERY unfit Rendell with Mansell stretching every sinew in the midfield (and still, more often than not, finding row Z). Different prospect this time round with Bowman and Duane with whom to contend.

Matt.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

He's got a decent top speed about him, but by Christ it takes him a while to get there. The weakness of a high line is that it invites trouble if someone springs the offside trap. Duane isn't sufficiently accelerative to do that unless the ball is inch perfect or he starts his run on the edge of his own box and the ball is timed to perfection. It's not so much that he's slow outright, more that he's slow to become quick.

Exxodus Geohagen represented Salisbury in their PSF against us and absolutely ran the show from start to finish. He was up against Benyon and a VERY unfit Rendell with Mansell stretching every sinew in the midfield (and still, more often than not, finding row Z). Different prospect this time round with Bowman and Duane with whom to contend.

Matt.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Bowman and O'Archie looks the first choice partnership to me. O'Archie looks deceptively quick to me and Bowman doesn't look a slouch either.
If we play like we have in the other three home games no disrespect to Nuneaton but we will win this in a canter.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

I think the most annoying thing about being in the conference so far is having to use the phrase "no disrespect to" about every team we play at home :lol:
Boroughbrad
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Aaron downes

Post by Boroughbrad »

No disrespect, :devil: but you probably thought the same about your games against Southport, Dartford, and Aldershot.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Can we please actually have walk out music this week? I don't really care what it is, but the last couple of home games there has been nothing to let people know that the players are about to walk, and, as a result its felt flat as the teams emerge.

Dartford were pretty cheesy playing the 2010 world cup tune, but they blasted it out and it made for a good atmosphere pre kick off.