Starting XI Vs Welling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I would go in with:

------------------Rice----------------------
Tonge----McDonald----Downes----Ives
Briscoe----Richards----Young----Cameron
-------------Ajala----Bowman--------

Subs: Harding, Cruise, Sully, Chaps, O'achie

Ajala could drop in to the number 10 role when/if needed.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Rice
Tonge Downes McDonald Ives
Harding Richards Young
Cameron Bowman Briscoe

Close run between Ajala and Cameron.

I'd also instruct Young to get as close to the front three as possible, which he should be able to do knowing he has the base of Richards and Harding behind him.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Richinns wrote:So after just 1 (very difficult) game are we all just giving up on the 4-4-2 system Hargreaves prefers and has utilised all pre-season?
Yep, apparently our fellow fans love the dull as dish water 10 men behind the ball 4-5-1 favoured by that amazing manager Martin Ling.

One game people, against the best team left from last year's Conference, after a nine hour coach journey, when the players still seemed to be in pre-season mode. Let's give them the next two games at least before we start making radical changes...
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

4-5-1 needn't be dull. Have a look at the side on the previous page (more 4-2-3-1, which is 4-5-1 in real life). Tell me that team will get fewer goals than a 4-4-2 with **** Benyon up front.

Apparently, Welling do little bar hammer the ball into the box at every opportunity. I can't see our full backs, poor as they undoubtedly are, being too involved. Get Pearce and Downer back there to head everything away and have the extra midfielder to pick up the loose balls. Give it to Youngy who can drive us forward or Ajala who can just do it all on his own.

Horses for courses.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

For some reason I misread this thread's title as 'Startling XI Vs Welling'... =D

Anyway, I'm not too concerned over the precise team line-up at this stage of the season. However, it is said that the best form of defence is attack, except that only works if you attack with swords instead of feather dusters. Similarly, attacking in football will only work if those attacks result in goals. Fortunately I get the feeling that our strikers this season are going to get plenty of goals, which is what we'll need if our defence doesn't stop giving them away. But I've no doubt that CH is aware of the team's shortcomings (every team has them) and is working on those areas where we need to improve.

It'll be interesting to see how things develop over the next dozen games or so..

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Last edited by Gullscorer on 12 Aug 2014, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Is Pearce available for tonight's game?
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.