Torquay United v Wycombe Wanderers Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

lucy6lucy wrote: Did a bullshitter live in Guernsey.....is that where Knill was born
Das machte mich meine Hose gepisst :lol:
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Such a shame Shaq is injured - he deserved a big send off having been such a bright spark in an otherwise appalling season. I'm sure we all agree if he had come in instead of Showunmi there's a good chance we'd still be a league side. His attitude has been absolutely fantastic. It would be great to think he may come back but sadly (for us) he's probably already demonstrated he's far too good for the conference. Hopefully he will have a big future in the game.
The original taunton_gull!!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

:lol:

Well why didn't he just say so then?! :lol:

die Bushaltestelle ist in Guernsey. =D[/quote]

Did a bullshitter live in Guernsey.....is that where Knill was born[/quote]

Das machte mich meine Hose gepisst :lol:[/quote]

:rofl:

and that me! :clap: :bow: :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Back on topic: with Coulthirst injured and Bodin out for months, this could be an opportunity for Danny Stevens.. :)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Gullscorer wrote:Back on topic: with Coulthirst injured and Bodin out for months, this could be an opportunity for Danny Stevens.. :)
To do what? Fetch them cups of tea during the game? :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Good thread btw Mick. :-D
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Thanks Andy. We're fortunate to have a top-class official in charge of this game. I was wondering how he came to be in charge of a bottom of League Two game instead of a Premier League one, then I realised that he and his family had obviously booked in down here for the Bank Holiday weekend.. =D
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

By the way, some of you may be asking how Wycombe Wanderers came by their nickname of the Chairboys. It all began when the club was formed in the fiftieth year of Queen Victoria's reign.

In those days, Association Football was basically an amateur game, and the club, like many (if not most) clubs of that era, began as a local pub team. However, due to the invention of the gramophone in 1887, and the Victorian obsession with sex, people were not so interested in standing around a field to watch drunken men play football. They were more interested in sitting in the pub getting drunk themselves, listening to good music, and watching the local wenches lap-dancing.

Luckily for the club, however, in those times the biggest industry in the town was furniture making, and the main item of furniture manufactured (for which the town had developed a good reputation) was chairs, and it so happened that around the time the club was formed there was a depression in the furniture industry, causing a glut of unsold chairs. So some bright spark at the club had the idea of putting these chairs around the pitch and charging people to watch the game, with the incentive of being served drinks by the buxom local wenches.

He was given the job of arranging all this, and so became the club's first ever Chairman, and the wenches (who developed an excellent reputation for serving the spectators) became known as the Chairgirls. But of course, at the end of every game everybody was too drunk (and too pre-occupied with you-know-what) to put the chairs away, apart from the players, who by that time had always sobered up somewhat, so it was always the players who had to put the chairs away, and so they became known as the Chairboys.
Last edited by Gullscorer on 02 May 2014, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Im in Guernsey this weekend so will miss our send off. Hope Thea gets the cheer she deserves. See you all next season. Torquay til I die.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Forest gull wrote:Im in Guernsey this weekend so will miss our send off. Hope Thea gets the cheer she deserves. See you all next season. Torquay til I die.
Many congratulations on making the sensible decision to come over to guernsey.
Hope you enjoy :)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Scorpion
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Stevens

Post by Scorpion »

Wycombe are dire at the moment, I think they'll lose this game.

I'd like them to stay up - it would be nice to share our non-league adventure with Bristol Rovers, I feel!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

taunton_gull wrote:Such a shame Shaq is injured - he deserved a big send off having been such a bright spark in an otherwise appalling season. I'm sure we all agree if he had come in instead of Showunmi there's a good chance we'd still be a league side. His attitude has been absolutely fantastic. It would be great to think he may come back but sadly (for us) he's probably already demonstrated he's far too good for the conference. Hopefully he will have a big future in the game.
It's frightening to think that those are the margins in such a tight league. Those 6 games we lost in March (5 of them 1-0) were too much to recover from. Even three more points and we would be in with a great chance of staying up. The list of forwards on the BBC article shows what a shambles this season has been, we have used 13 strikers this season, and none of them have scored more than 3. One half decent striker and we could have been safely in mid table.

Getting Shaq back now will be almost impossible, he should be playing far higher, but it would be an incredible signing for us. Goodwin and Cargill are probably the realistic options for next year, and they both look like they are of first team standard.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Am going tomorrow, not expecting anything performance wise from us, losing Shaq is a big blow, and expect the atmosphere to be a bit flat. Think the result could depend on what's happening in the other games, Wycombe will obviously know what going on else where, and if they're in with a shout of staying up would expect to make a few attacking substitutions. Don't want to finish bottom, so hope we can put the game to bed early and build some momentum for next season.
Formerly known as forevertufc