MEMORIES

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
robbotufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by robbotufc »

anyone remembered the pirates coaches that Brian Ross use to organize for the away matches in the late 70s,a great guy fun times at the away games,remember going to workington with the coach leaving at friday midnight.. :bow:
surreygull66
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: mike mahoney

Post by surreygull66 »

[quote="ROADRUNNER"]yes i remember all that, snow covered pitch on boxing day against the cornishmen beat them 2-1 in front of 15,000 ish crowd around 1968, quote]
68 or 69? yes - taken out by St John's Ambulance, woke in Teignmouth late no brakfast straight on the bus, xxxxxx cold, sitting under the stand as we scored, happy memories!

Others include; West Ham old boys, Bond & Brown, "Billy" Kitchener et al, missing one home game in 67/68 due to a Family Wedding and finding out it was on Match of the Day!!!

Who would have believed in those days; 5 Wembley's & 1 Old Trafford!

Right now let's create some new memories for the next generation, Hereford here we come!!!
Last edited by surreygull66 on 01 May 2012, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Seventyseven
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Seventyseven »

Remember it well Robbo! my very first away game.... arriving in that god-foresaken northern wasteland at something like 9am.... and sod all to do apart from mooch around before heading off across what seemed like acres of wasteland to Workington's palatial stadium.... I'm sure we won that 4-2 and remember the scenes afterwards with what I believe were Man Utd fans giving us a 'guard of honour' back to our coaches(!)...and someone called Phil(?) getting a real good kicking.....

happy days!
Peter: So did your therapist figure out what the problem was?
Brian: Yeah. He thinks I'm in love.
Peter: Oh my God...you can talk!
robbotufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by robbotufc »

Seventyseven wrote:Remember it well Robbo! my very first away game.... arriving in that god-foresaken northern wasteland at something like 9am.... and sod all to do apart from mooch around before heading off across what seemed like acres of wasteland to Workington's palatial stadium.... I'm sure we won that 4-2 and remember the scenes afterwards with what I believe were Man Utd fans giving us a 'guard of honour' back to our coaches(!)...and someone called Phil(?) getting a real good kicking.....

happy days!
the Man utd league match at Carlisle was postponed that day,so their fans ended up coming to workington and after the match started on us outside the ground,and you're right Seventyseven the lad that got a kicking was my friend phil adams he was taken to hospital and stayed in for a few days,sadly he pass away a few years ago at a young age.. :'(
Seventyseven
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Seventyseven »

Phil Adams! That's the one.... I think the last time I saw him at Plainmoor was a good few years back and he was walking with a stick. Sorry to hear that he'd passed away.

....thought it was strange that Man U fans were there...makes sense now. I seem to remember the crowd doubling in size nearing the end of the game.
Peter: So did your therapist figure out what the problem was?
Brian: Yeah. He thinks I'm in love.
Peter: Oh my God...you can talk!
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

yes i was there, phil took a right kicking, he always use to go with adrian sanders mp, to all the away games, do you remember richard crabtree played in goal at workington when we won 4-2, dawlish town loaned him to us as both our keepers were injured. and the two old boys george and bill who ran the coaches for the away games.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Ha ha brilliant pmsl
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Ooops posted in wrong place
Sorry peeps
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

I went on that trip to Workington too- the Man United fans smashed the back of our coach window in and we had to travel all the way home without any protection from the elements. Me and my mates got chased by the Mancs, but I hid in someones back garden and avoided a kicking! Dave Provan scored a couple didn't he? Less than 2,000 there I think-with about 200 of us?
Happy days!
bruciesbootcleaner

Post by bruciesbootcleaner »

robbotufc wrote: the Man utd league match at Carlisle was postponed that day,so their fans ended up coming to workington and after the match started on us outside the ground,and you're right Seventyseven the lad that got a kicking was my friend phil adams he was taken to hospital and stayed in for a few days,sadly he pass away a few years ago at a young age.. :'(
remember phil adams AKA "TENKO" barman in the fortune of war when ex gulls goalie john turner had it,
liked a drink or 20 did phil, nice lad though, lost his legs in an accident on the barton back road,
was in hospital for ages, but still had a smile on his face, died after a short battle with cancer,
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

phil was a star, our coached stoped at a greasy joes cafe in the middle of the night on the way to crewe in the late seventies and phil nicked a cup and saucer only for the owner to get on the coach and wouldnt let the coach go until phil gave it back, he was always up to something, a loveble rogue
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

robbotufc wrote:I remember my grandad telling me that him and trojan use to watch torquay play at cricketfield road before they moved to plainmoor.. :rofl:
Nah that's when he was older. He used to teach Brunel how to have a kick around when he babysat him. I think he also was conscripted into the forces for the Boar war as well. Mind you I wasn't far behind. just far enough to not get shot at.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

ROBIN STUBBS!