one hour!!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

O'Kane is a very important player to us no doubt, however I was not worried in the slightest about O'Kane either way in this transfer window whehter he went or not.

The days of our club waiting to the last day of the window and accepting a bag of magic beans and a crisp £10 note for one of our players have long gone thankfully, if O'Kane does depart it would be because an offer better than one our club can refuse has been received, and i have no doubt that Martin Ling has more than an idea of who he would want to bring in should this happen.

I cant say whehter such a bid will come in during the next few days , as i just dont know, however should it happen to late in the window for a replacment to be signed , I shuold imagine that Lingy will add a ball playing midfielder to his shopping list during the loan window, which ever way it pans out, our team will be o.k, stop worrying.

P.s forgot to add, O'Kane will need a lot more than 6 months at a Championship club to stake a claim for the full R.O.I squad.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

forevertufc wrote:The days of our club waiting to the last day of the window and accepting a bag of magic beans and a crisp £10 note for one of our players have long gone.
By "long gone" do you mean "since the last transfer window"? :)

I do however agree that with the length of time left on his contract, the financial stability of the club, and Eunan's regular statements of being happy here we are well positioned to reject all but the most outrageous of bids, and if that happens we have a wise manager in a saturated loan market to see us through to summer, at which point we'd have a few quid to splash out on a replacement.

And you're right, there's no way he's making the Ireland squad, but he's still young, maybe one day.
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by popside_yidlad »

How can you 100% rule it out. Say eunan goes to Leeds or reading and does exceptional steering them into premier league he would deserve to be in the squad. Im not sayin its likely but from his point of view Ireland dont qualify for big tournaments often, he has had a cracking start to the season confidence is high and with chances in a high profile league with clubs going somewhere you would expect eunan to have personal targets and if I was him that would certainly be my target.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Who ruled it out 100% ??

I think he's nailed-on to make it at some stage, just not yet.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

As Dave says no one is 100 % ruling it out.

Although i have never met Eunan, I am pretty sure that getting into the ful R.O.I squad is the last thing on his mind, and I very much doubt he is busting a gut right now to secure a move in the hope of making Euro 12, and even if Eunan did secure a move in this window, who is to say he would go straight into that clubs first team, any Championship club at this stage would more likey see Eunan as one for the future and more than likey, would look in the first instance to loan him back to us.
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by popside_yidlad »

II am aware its likely he would not make it. But I think its another thing thats worth considering as possibly being there in his mind. He strikes me as a driven quietly ambitious individual so given the opportunity of a move to a higher league possibly with one of 2 clubs looking to get promoted. And no offence to any Irish supporters but they are not exactly flush with creative midfielders. If he goes to Leeds, cardiff, reading or the likes would expect it to be his secondary personal target. First obviously being a starting spot which tbh I think he will do quickly. His ability especially his full range of passing will be highlighted further by better players particularly with their movement off the ball
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

popside_yidlad wrote:II am aware its likely he would not make it. But I think its another thing thats worth considering as possibly being there in his mind. He strikes me as a driven quietly ambitious individual so given the opportunity of a move to a higher league possibly with one of 2 clubs looking to get promoted. And no offence to any Irish supporters but they are not exactly flush with creative midfielders. If he goes to Leeds, cardiff, reading or the likes would expect it to be his secondary personal target. First obviously being a starting spot which tbh I think he will do quickly. His ability especially his full range of passing will be highlighted further by better players particularly with their movement off the ball
Didnt do too bad already...qualified for Euro 2012 :-/
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Re-reading my post I do seem to 100% rule it out, but I suppose there is the tiniest possibility that a move to a Championship club and a half season of truly outstanding form could get him an unexpected wildcard entry (similar to Walcott or the rumours around Oxlaide-Chamberlain).

I still think it's 99.9999% certain he won't make it because a) there's no concrete evidence of such a move taking place, b) following such a move he'd have to be given a chance in the first team, bed in immediately, and perform fantastically, which is a big ask of a young lad straight after a big move, and c) he has no domestic experience above league 2 level, never mind international level, so taking him to a major tournament would be a massive gamble, especially as a central midfielder.

I mean no disrespect or criticism towards Eunan, he's a fantastic player, but as things stand I don't see him going to an international tournament this year.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I think saying about the Euros as a target is to far out of reach. The guy is still in league 2 playing for us. If he did get a big move, half a season wouldnt be enough. Yes the guys going to be ambitious theres not doubt about that, but he has to be realistic.

Who says he doesnt want to stay at Torquay for two more years, Eunan hasnt come out and said anything yet. I expect him to go in the summer and then he will concentrate on the level before getting a chance in the full national side.

It could happen that he moves in jan, scored 12 goals and takes his new club up, then yeah he might get a move. But i think he will have a big enough challenge to break into a new teams starting line up.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I really rate Eunan, he's a fantastic player, definitely one of the best torquay have had in my lifetime, but at the moment he's nowhere near challenging for a spot in the Ireland national team. If he was good enough to make their current squad we would have teams from the top end of the championship/lower end of the premiership knocking our door down to get him, but as far as we're all aware, that hasn't been the case.

I have very little doubt that one day Eunan will play at that level. Jamie Ward has managed to carve out a good career in the championship and Eunan is a much better player than Ward was when he was here, so i reckon he most certainly has it in him. And he is obviously ambitious enough to want to play for Ireland at some point, otherwise he wouldn't have switched allegiance from NI to ROI. But Euro 2012 is far too soon for him. I'll accept that there is the smallest of chances he could, if he got a move and performed exceptionally, but i don't see him moving, and if that's the case he'll never get picked playing at our level.

I think he'll stay, at least until the summer, unless we get a ridiculous offer, which I cannot see happening this window. He clearly loves the area and the club, which is why he signed a long contract over the summer, and see no reason in him moving. I reckon he'd much rather stay here for longer getting better while playing every game, than move too early and sit on the bench/play in the reserves for a season.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Agree with the above.

Having been released by a premiership club, I'm sure Eunan is well aware of his options and how to build his career safely. Thankfully, that means Torquay are currently the perfect place for him to learn his trade and get a good reputation.

That won't always be the case, but I am not expecting him to go anywhere just yet. Maybe not even in the summer.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i expect ellis will have joined robbo and eunan on the radars of clubs desperate to spend their money after his three recent goals

off work monday and tuesday so will be keeping an ear to the ground all day
still keeping the faith
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yep going to be a tense last few days, one thing that could work in our favour, is a lot of clubs do not actually have any money to spend, and those that do have been out and done what they needed to do, I am confident now that the window will shut with our squad intact.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I know the last 2 days are always manic and bids will be put in for players. I can see a few bids coming in on monday/tuesday. i just hope we can hold out then add a few loans.
the_shredder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by the_shredder »

Maybe it's just me, but a defender scoring a few goals wouldn't exactly get me excited if i was a manager. I'd want a defender that has a good record for defending. Scoring goals could be at the expense of conceding them, from a defenders point of view...

I don't think Ellis will be getting bids based on that. He still has some sloppy mistakes in his defence game so i don't think he's ready to move upwards just yet.