Clark Osborne/Jim Parker Interview

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Vick
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Vick »

^ Me too.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 16:44 But then the other problem he will have is Kevin Foster MP, who appears not to be a fan (like others) of Osborne.
Is he a fan of the club? I seem to remember a couple of bland statements about them from him at some point, but as far as I'm aware, he's never actually been to Plainmoor. (this may turn out to be unfair, but I already don't like him very much)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

Is there a sound basis for his dislike or is it petty politics.
Why doesn’t Osborne present a professional and comprehensive plan for his the new hybrid stadium?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

happytorq wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 19:31 Is he a fan of the club? I seem to remember a couple of bland statements about them from him at some point, but as far as I'm aware, he's never actually been to Plainmoor. (this may turn out to be unfair, but I already don't like him very much)
Can't say if he's a fan or actually been to Plainmoor - but he did threaten Osborne with Parliamentary Privilege if he continued to refuse to meet him, so I presume he's not a fan of him.......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Kevin Foster is interested in the club and attends reasonably often as he mentions about the trials and tribulations on his weekly online newsletter
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Personally, and politics is hugely personal and not a place for a football forum, I feel that concern for TUFC is one of the few positives of Kevin. I believe he's a Coventry fan so familiar with rogue owners and so empathise with our plight. TUFC is the only possibly reason I'd vote for him, I can't defend him on anything else he's done in terms of voting record in recent years!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Trouble with football is, the game itself can not exist in any country without political support, football and politics are linked always have been, us fans can't pick and choose when we're happy for political involvement and when we're not, so there is a place for it on football forums.

Ultimately every single supporter of TUFC regardless of whether they're a Torbay resident or not, are relying on politics, the political will of the local government and Torbay's elected MP, to assist/help in the long term survival of our football club.

We pretty much all know, the old landfill site at the Willows was the identified site for the new ground, not sure whether Colorado does however, also whether the said poster knows an agreement was reached back in 2021 with Torbay council for that site to be come a solar farm, so was closed off to CO and TUFC.

So what's happened in the 2.5 years or so, since. Colorado asks: why doesn’t Osborne present a professional and comprehensive plan for his the new hybrid stadium?

For me it was a case of what was not said during the online fans forum, CO said there was going to be a new stadium, but when asked to guarantee whether it would be in Torbay he said ,no, he couldn't.

So us fans assume CO is looking for sites in Torbay or within close proximity, but is he ? We don't know, is he looking for sites much further away ? We don't know that either.

So that could be one reason why no plan as yet has been submitted, there could be number of other reason also, this is why I firmly believe a battle plan for a phoenix club whether some fans like or not, needs to be drawn up, there isn't the will amongst the fanbase yet, sadly.
Formerly known as forevertufc
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Dave, asking the questions you have is primarily down to the information vacuum that exists at the club, not just with the owner but ably abetted by Johnson, we do not know whether Osborne has identified a new venue, would he tell us before the papers have been signed ,no, that would be poor business and could allow other potential developers to nip in with higher bids for the land.
He has stated that the new stadium must have strong potential for non football revenue streams to offset the costs of the loss making football club. So location is critical, it cannot succeeed without good transport links and easy access, are the council or the local MP onboard and supporting us other than by words, who knows, they have their own battles to fight but in my opinion they should look at torquay united as a valuable commercial resource for the bay, I recall when Wrexham hit town last season the huge amount of fans brought a goodly amount of revenue to the harbourside venues.
Heaven forbid the club does move out of the bay, but if it does I think the primary reason will be the local councils lack of tangible support. I saw the article on scunthorpe where by some magic trick and sleight of hand the local MP managed to get 2.5 million out of the government so that they could buy the freehold of their ground thus keeping them at their historic home and giving them the money to buy the attached land for commerical development.
As one alternative could Teignbridge council be persuaded to supply land close to edginswell, there is lots of it available, which in real terms is only 2.5 miles from plainnmoor, has excellent road and public transport links and the promise of a new railway station.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Lets face it, we are no closer today knowing what Osborne plans are as we were in 2021 when he outlined his idea for a new stadium.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Edginswell is in Torbay.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

torregull wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 12:07 Edginswell is in Torbay.
And Edginswell is bang next to Kingkerswell, I think that is what Culmstock's is referring to. Others have also mused about land in Newton Abbot next to the Brunel industrial estate.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

What's wrong with Plainmoor? Apart from the fact that we don't own the freehold. Surely it would be cheaper to buy the freehold off the council making sure that there is a covenant on it to prevent it being sold for anything but football. Boots and laces, the Gulls nest and restaraunt are surely suitable between them for non football income streams. Plainmoor has a good mix of seated and standing spectator areas, An all seater stadium would look great but would be pretty soulless. Personally I would rather stand to watch a game and only sit on the bench because I go with a couple of older blokes who need to sit. The atmosphere generated by the youngsters opposite is a joy to watch and would be lost in an all seater stadium. Plainmoor is big enough for our fan base even if we got to the heady heights of league one or two. Money would be better spent aquiring the freehold and improving what we have got.
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

Brewers boy wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 13:14 What's wrong with Plainmoor? Apart from the fact that we don't own the freehold. Surely it would be cheaper to buy the freehold off the council making sure that there is a covenant on it to prevent it being sold for anything but football. Boots and laces, the Gulls nest and restaraunt are surely suitable between them for non football income streams. Plainmoor has a good mix of seated and standing spectator areas,
If the above is correct how come TUFC is millions of pounds in the hole? Wasn’t the club going into administration when Mr Osborne came in and bought it. I am no fan at all of Mr Osborne but whatever folks may say, TUFC is a business and it seems something has to give.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Colorado wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 22:48 If the above is correct how come TUFC is millions of pounds in the hole? Wasn’t the club going into administration when Mr Osborne came in and bought it. I am no fan at all of Mr Osborne but whatever folks may say, TUFC is a business and it seems something has to give.
It wasn't going into administration - Osborne called in his debt and the club became his.
As has been pointed out many times, Osborne is a businessman and hates losing money.
There are other threads you can trawl through - the history of him doesn't really need bringing up again on this one.....

TUST Member 468

MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Skillsy wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 23:43 Totally agree, Brewers.

All seater stadiums have killed the atmosphere at most grounds, keeping the terraces is essential.
We have a smashing little ground, big enough for whichever league we are ever likely to be in. Of course, we rely on money being put in but if the current owners pull out I would have no problem if we had to go part time - there are several NLS teams who are part time who are doing well.
Like Taunton? Sorry - disagree on this one. The clubs survival will be reliant on a new stadium and leisure facilities, capable of bringing revenue to the club 364 days and nights per year (be it full-time or semi professional). Plainmoor surrounded on all sides by housing and a school, lack of parking and no room to provide any leisure facilities puts the club 'at risk' from financial difficulties if sustainable sources of additional incomes are not created for the long term. If 'Uncle Clarke' decides to call it a day who is going to fork out a million squid a season to prop the club up. It's a question worth consideration.