Nicky Wroe likely to STAY!

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but just read this in the HE online...

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/torqu ... ticle.html

Would guess this means he's off...loan with view to permanent signing?
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

oops.. that looks like the end of that then... ( can I quietly say I never really rated him?)
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I happened to have saw nicky cycling on Paignton seafront at around 11am on Saturday morning(I wasn't sure it was him but when I saw he wasn't included in the team on Saturday I knew it was definitely him) He hasn't impressed me since he was made captain if I'm honest. Mansell for capain!!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Maybe 12 months ago I would have been aghast at the thought of Wroe leaving us. But ever since he took the armband he has consistently underperformed. Whether there is something going on in the background I don't know, but I'm guessing the emergence of Eunan O'Kane (and the proof that he can hack it in the centre of the park) has led to Buckle being prepared to cash in.

I'd imagine Wroe doesn't come cheap. If someone has shown a interest it may be mutually beneficial to Wroe, Buckle and Board that parties go their seperate ways. Clearly something is afoot if a fully fit Nicky Wroe is not included in a matchday squad.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I agree he's not looked the part since being given the captaincy. Personally, i'd be happy if he just had the armband removed, rather than being disposed of completely, but i guess it depends what's going on behind the scenes. Are we that desperate for cash that Bucks had identified him as sellable? Has the emergence of O'Kane persauded everyone he's no longer needed? Would his ego not accept being 'demoted' to mere player rather than captain? Whatever it is, he appears to be on his way out. Shame, but not a catastrophe.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I think you'll find it's more to do with the player himself wishing to move back up north due to personal reasons than us trying to cash in on him. That said, I know we've made an offer for a forward using him as bait, I guess we'll all know when the Manager makes public his intentions.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

SouthamptonGull wrote:I think you'll find it's more to do with the player himself wishing to move back up north due to personal reasons than us trying to cash in on him. That said, I know we've made an offer for a forward using him as bait, I guess we'll all know when the Manager makes public his intentions.
Without wanting to make it sound like I knew something I don't, but I did wonder whether personal issues affected Nicky Wroe. Its increasingly rare that a player is willing to make the sort of move (in mileage terms) that Wroe did. Without making assumptions about someone I don't know, there is always a risk in making a move away from your roots that can have an affect on your performance in your job (now that I do know about).

If Nicky Wroe was performing at the peak of his game (and was fully settled), then there would be no question that he would be the fulcrum of the team. As it is,the club finds itself in a financial predicament where we can no longer bring in any additional players to strengthen a side that has the makings of a good setup, and we have a saleable asset that is apparantly unsettled and seemingly its affecting his performances.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Seems that the answer is a clear Or?

Rumours abound about a breach of club discipline. Can t think of any other logical explanation for his sudden exclusion and transfer listing.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Jeff wrote:
Without wanting to make it sound like I knew something I don't, but I did wonder whether personal issues affected Nicky Wroe. Its increasingly rare that a player is willing to make the sort of move (in mileage terms) that Wroe did. Without making assumptions about someone I don't know, there is always a risk in making a move away from your roots that can have an affect on your performance in your job (now that I do know about).

If Nicky Wroe was performing at the peak of his game (and was fully settled), then there would be no question that he would be the fulcrum of the team. As it is,the club finds itself in a financial predicament where we can no longer bring in any additional players to strengthen a side that has the makings of a good setup, and we have a saleable asset that is apparantly unsettled and seemingly its affecting his performances.

I'd say that was a much fairer assessment than the post immediately after, Jeff.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

I didn't realise Wroe was in the transfer list. I did hear he's heading back to Yorkshire though.

I think he's has some harsh stick on this board. He's struggled since being given the captaincy which in hindsight was a mistake made by the manager. But he's still a talented player who I think is capable of playing at this level.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

of course im absolutely gutted. :cry: :cry: :cry:

anybody who has been giving him stick should lay off.

i would say we wouldnt be where we are without his contribution, along with many others.

he has the talent to play at this level, and although yes, his form has dipped, there is no doubt of his class for this league - whichever team he is playing for.

however there are certain things that are apparent.

and no i am not saying anything else so dont ask.

oh, and before any smart a**e posts some snide or clever remark, yes i do know the facts.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Having not seen him play as much as others, and therefore only reading the reports on here and elsewhere, it would seem that he has struggled ever since Greavsie left the club. Maybe this is purely a coincidence, but that it what it seems to me.

I appreciate he hasn't left yet, but I wish to state here that I wish him all the best for the future, wherever that may be, and thanks for the part he played in our promotion.
Last edited by Scott Brehaut on 12 Oct 2010, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:and no i am not saying anything else so dont ask.
Well if it's personal what business is it of ours? Just because he plays for the club we support doesn't give us access to his private life.

Footballers are just like everyone else, sometimes they just have to do what's best for them and theirs.

Good luck to the fella, yes he's not been at his best lately, but he has been an important part of the team.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I am fed up with the mud slinging at Wroe.

Like SNW states - would we be in this division without him?

He WILL be a big loss to the team.

It seems he is targeted because he gives the ball away more than others but this will be the case with ANY playermaker across football. We need creativity in midfield and he provides this.

Seems the boo boys on the plopside have their wish and have seen him off - congratulations to you, you really have our club at heart when you start with those ignorent and idiotic cat calls.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

scottbrehaut wrote:Having not seen him play as much as others, and therefore only reading the reports on here and elsewhere, it would seem that he has struggled ever since Greavsie left the club.
Scott, for what its worth, both NW and Greavsie struggled with the extra pace of L2 (NW not having as much time on the ball, Greavsie another year older and a bit slower) right from the off last season. I remember doing a post match post on here after the Chesterfield match wondering how we snuck a win despite our midfield being overrun. If anything, his game improved when Manse moved to midfield as the whole midfield looked a stronger unit once bedded in. A lot of work NW does is not noticed by the popside boo-boys. He now spends a lot more time on tackling back, shielding the back 4. This is something that both CM need to do at this level. There is no doubt that the opposition at this level are higher quality (and fitter) than the BSP. NW dosnt have the time to hold the ball and pick a pass as he did in the BSP because L2 teams invariably try and close down whoever has the ball. In addition to that, both CM really need to be able to go box to box for the full 90 and get plenty of tackles in. Thats in addition to attacking with the ball or playing telling passes that split the defence :)