Cheltenham announce retained list

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

MellowYellow wrote: 20 May 2019, 11:27 Much speculation about forthcoming player signings. So here is another for the transfer rumours page.

Billy Waters has been made available for transfer by Northampton Town. The 24-year-old spent the second half of the 2018/19 campaign back at Cheltenham Town on loan, having spent two seasons with the Robins between 2015 and 2017. So one of GJ's original selected signings.

His move to Northampton did not go as planned and it is possible that Cheltenham may step in for him again. However, Waters like all footballers wants regular football and given his previous Cheltenham links with GJ and AD it is possible that he may be interested, if approached.

Water found the net 27 times in 69 starts under GJ,at Cheltenham firstly helping the club to win promotion back to the EFL and then secure their EFL status in 2016/17. Whilst under GJ at Cheltenham, Waters was Cheltenham's player of the season and top scorer in 2016/17
I would imagine he would find regular first team football at league level but I also thought GJ would never join a National South mid-table team so never rule it out!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

We seem to be fixated on the impression that Gary Johnson will only sign players from West country clubs. Although the approach was not successful it has been reported that Torquay tried to sign a 19 yr old from Queens Park who has decided to remain in Glasgow. But this shows that Johnson is casting his net far and wide and is also considering young up and coming talent.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I have no doubt GJ is scanning a wide horizon for young up and coming talent, but in the same breathe he is also looking for marquee players. GJ say's we are quite close to our first signings and that "in some cases we are looking at people in the Second Division".

As we all know, for some players the West Country is either too far away from the bright lights of London or too far away from their beloved Northern homelands. Therefore, it is only natural to speculate on talented and experience players in Division 2, who have previously played or are transfer listed from West Country clubs
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

MellowYellow wrote: 20 May 2019, 23:51 I have no doubt GJ is scanning a wide horizon for young up and coming talent, but in the same breathe he is also looking for marquee players. GJ say's we are quite close to our first signings and that "in some cases we are looking at people in the Second Division".

As we all know, for some players the West Country is either too far away from the bright lights of London or too far away from their beloved Northern homelands. Therefore, it is only natural to speculate on talented and experience players in Division 2, who have previously played or are transfer listed from West Country clubs
Did Johnson say "the Second Division" or League Two? Second Division could refer to the Championship which was the old second division.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 21 May 2019, 04:59 Did Johnson say "the Second Division" or League Two? Second Division could refer to the Championship which was the old second division.
Well he said loan players would not be dealt with until August which I assume he means our link with Championship Bristol City - so I expect he means League 2 for our close signings, but like me still uses the old adage of 'Division' instead of 'League'.