Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 89th: Coventry City 2 - 0 Torquay United - 1987/88

3 points, 1 vote

FA Cup 3rd Round
Saturday 9th January 1988
Highfield Road
Attendance: 16815

Coventry scorers: Brian Kilcline, Cyrille Regis

----

An FA Cup 3rd round match kicks off our games to pick up 3 points. Another that is before my time, and another that I'm struggling to find much information about. I assume the match was played at Highfield Road, but happy to be corrected. We made the trip to the FA Cup holders here, and went down by 2 clear goals, which isn't exactly a drubbing. I can't say I know anything about this game, but Coventry went on to get knocked out by Watford in Round 4.
pnutgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by pnutgull »

Not one I voted for but remember all to well Dave Caldwells overhead kick shaving the bar at 0-0 . Something out of nowhere which was typical of him. A great day out and Coventry knew they had been in a game.
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

Plymouth Gull wrote:JOINT 89th: Coventry City 2 - 0 Torquay United - 1987/88

3 points, 1 vote

FA Cup 3rd Round
Highfield Road

----

An FA Cup 3rd round match kicks off our games to pick up 3 points. Another that is before my time, and another that I'm struggling to find much information about. I assume the match was played at Highfield Road, but happy to be corrected. We made the trip to the FA Cup holders here, and went down by 2 clear goals, which isn't exactly a drubbing. I can't say I know anything about this game, but Coventry went on to get knocked out by Watford in Round 4.
Bloody hell - this is me as well! I must be have been on a different planet! We were brilliant this day........as far as I can recall. Dave Caldwell destroyed Kilcline that day and if that overhead kick would have gone in we'd still be watching it on Match of the Day now............................... West Midlands Police also made that day memorable as there was a steady flow of ejections that day for weird reasons.

Added in 5 seconds:
Plymouth Gull wrote:JOINT 89th: Coventry City 2 - 0 Torquay United - 1987/88

3 points, 1 vote

FA Cup 3rd Round
Highfield Road

----

Bloody hell - this is me as well! I must be have been on a different planet! We were brilliant this day........as far as I can recall. Dave Caldwell destroyed Kilcline that day and if that overhead kick would have gone in we'd still be watching it on Match of the Day now............................... West Midlands Police also made that day memorable as there was a steady flow of ejections that day for weird reasons.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 89th: Torquay United 3 - 1 Aston Villa - 1970/71

3 points, 1 vote

FA Cup 1st Round
Saturday 21st November 1970
Plainmoor
Attendance: 9229

----

Seeing this sort of result is always interesting for me as Villa have always been a top flight team since I begun following football. However they were in the old Division 3 with us and the two clubs met a few times in the early seventies. This FA Cup tie was the second meeting between the two sides, and the first at Plainmoor. The Gulls ran out comfortable winners against their league rivals (both sides were sat in the top 5 at the point of the game), and progressed on to the next round, where we beat Chelmsford City. The run was ended after a 3-0 defeat at Leicester in Round 4.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Two very memorable FA Cup games there. Villa were comprehensively put to the sword with former Villa player Dick Edwards playing a blinder for us and enjoying every moment. The second time in a few weeks we had beaten them having won in the league at Villa Park a few weeks earlier.

At Highfield Road I was standing on the home terraces (terraces - that dates it!) and the view of the home supporters around me was that we were extremely unucky. The overhead kick from Caldwell which has been mentioned was in the second half and if it had gone in I think we may well have dumped the cup holders out, and we created a few other decent chances including one in the first few minutes (I think that was Caldwell too but not 100% on that). There is no doubt Coventry were not enjoying the game and counted themselves lucky to win. It was two late goals. The first a penalty after a clumsy challenge right out in the far corner of the penalty box, probably due to exhaustion after 75 minutes or so of effort in clinging mud. The second followed shortly after, a clear handball close in to goal by a Coventry player (I think it may have been Cyrille Regis) before the ball was bundled over the line.

Looking at the league table now .... I am starting to find some of this list quite upsetting! ;-)
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I was at the Highfield Road game. It was a great match. As other correspondents say, we could very well have won. It's the only time (in 51 years of going to TUFC matches) that I was forced to line up before getting in and be controlled by dogs and horses - not to mention policemen.
I was the one who voted for the 3-1 defeat of Aston Villa. Now THAT was football.
Note for us old codgers: doesn't it amaze you when people say they can't remember 1988 or that they weren't even born then - blimey!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

There is a video on Youtube of the Coventry game.

[youtube]VWuQ5OMjgWA[/youtube]
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Enjoyed the video. Strange how memory plays tricks as I was convinced that Caldwell's overhead kick was at the end I was, which would have made it second half, but the video clearly shows it was in the first half. Can't argue with that! The two goals though just as I remember them, including their second where the ball came to Regis suddenly and he controlled it with his left arm before poking it home.

Added in 6 minutes 1 second:
wivelgull wrote: At Coventry it was the only time (in 51 years of going to TUFC matches) that I was forced to line up before getting in and be controlled by dogs and horses - not to mention policemen.
I was the one who voted for the 3-1 defeat of Aston Villa. Now THAT was football.
That was exactly why I ended up on the home terraces at Highfield Road. I turned up, saw what was happening, said **** that and was in through the home turnstiles within 60 seconds!

I didn't include that Villa game in my list, but I did include the win a few weeks before in the league game at Villa Park.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 89th: Northampton Town 0 - 1 Torquay United - 1993/94

3 points, 1 vote

Division 3
Saturday 16th April 1994
Sixfields Stadium
Attendance: 3519

----

Torquay ended a run of 6 winless matches with a win here at Sixfields. The hosts were struggling near the foot of the table, while United had consolidated themselves in 6th place in the league. This result saw us go on to take 7 from the final 9 points available and confirm our playoff position, where we met Preston. It was our away form that was really good this season, the second best in the division. Unfortunately that couldn't be replicated in the playoffs as we went out to Preston thanks to a dismal second leg in the North West.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Oh, that Coventry match, I remember it well.

It's not been mentioned yet but just look at that pitch, matches were played in all sorts of conditions in those days. How many of our postponed matches would have been cleared and out of the way by now if the same 'rules' applied today? We've all gone soft.

Added in 3 minutes 32 seconds:
Plymouth Gull, I must comment on your quote about the Preston match being 'dismal'.

It wasn't anything to do with our players who ran themselves into the ground (or would have done had the pitch not been an awful plastic affair).

It certainly was in terms of the refereeing that night and the play acting by our dear friend Raynor.

We wuz robbed.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

wivelgull wrote:
'Ere Mr wivel .... looking back to page 1 of this thread where you posted your selections you didn't include this one. Like me you did include the league win at Villa Park only a few weeks before though. Much be an age thing I suppose, and I realised it in posts earlier today when I was convinced I had an excellent memory of the Coventry away match, only for a video to be produced showing I had Caldwell's overhead kick lodged in my memory in the wrong half of the game. Everything else though was as clear as the clinging mud! ;-)
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

I think it was me who voted for the Aston Villa 3-1 home win in the FA Cup. How great was that Coventry game as well. Proper football played on a proper pitch. None of this 3g 4g crap. Bettany would never has lost out on the 50/50 challenge that led to Coventrys first goal.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 89th: Exeter City 1 - 2 Torquay United - 2002/03

3 points, 1 vote

Division 3
26th August 2002
St James Park
Attendance: 6065

Torquay:
Kevin Dearden, Reuben Hazell, Dave Woozley, Sean Hankin, Lee Canoville, Tony Bedeau, Alex Russell, Jason Fowler, Kevin Hill, David Graham, Marcus Richardson. Subs: Matt Hockley, Martin Gritton, Jamie Attwell, Neil Prince, Troy Douglin.

Exeter scorer: James Coppinger
Torquay scorers: David Graham, Tony Bedeau

----

Another away day win at St James Park is next to feature. This August Bank Holiday win was the first away win of the season for United, after defeats at Rushden and York. David Graham put us ahead inside 26 minutes before Coppinger equalised 15 minutes later. By half time, the Gulls were ahead again as Tony Bedeau scored in stoppage time. The second half saw no more goals, and United left Exeter with the points in the bag. It started a run of 5 wins in 8 matches as United looked to gain promotion out of Division 3; something they would do 12 months further on.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

This was one of mine I do believe. I hadnt seen us beat Exeter very often up to this point and never at St James Park. A cracking first half performance from The Gulls and even the second half which wasnt all one way traffic as Exeter searched for an equaliser. It got a bit nervy as like I said we didnt have the best record against them in recent times.

A decent TUFC away crowd, especially so early in the season, the scenes of celebration and feeling of joy still sends a tingle down my spine, a very enjoyable journey home from Exeter when the mood was good for a change. I was with my Dad and Uncle and we pulled in at The Old Smokey by Marldon where we quaffed a few ales and played pool, a rare and unusual family moment which topped the day off and added to a fantastic performance by our intrepid heroes in yellow.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Last one for today...

JOINT 89th: Torquay United 1 - 2 Lincoln City - 2006/07

3 points, 1 vote

League 2
Saturday 12th August 2006
Plainmoor
Attendance: 3192

Torquay:
Nathan Abbey, Lee Andrews, Steve Woods, Craig Taylor, Stevland Angus, Martin Phillips, Lee Mansell, Darren Garner, Kevin Hill, Lee Thorpe, Mickey Evans. Subs: Matt Villis, Jamie Ward, Matt Hockley, Carl Motteram, Chris McPhee.

Torquay scorer: Darren Garner
Lincoln scorers: Paul Morgan, Martin Gritton

----

Ah, I remember this match. We've had some memorable matches with Lincoln at Plainmoor in recent years, and this was one of those "tough to take" games. United took the lead in this encounter through a 25-yarder from Darren Garner. It looked like the points were the hosts, which would have continued our good start after wins against Barnet and Rochdale, both 1-0 victories. However, this one stopped the pattern. Leading 1-0 as the clock ticked over 90 minutes, not many expected Lincoln to go home with the points. But they did. First, Paul Morgan met a corner, before ex-Gull Martin Gritton found a winner when he scored from close range.

Other matches I can remember involving Lincoln were when they received 3 red cards in the final 10 minutes in 05/06 (a 2-1 win for United), and the meeting in 2009/10 sticks in my mind as the Davide Somma show (he scored two in a 3-2 away win and was unplayable if I recall correctly).