Oxford United v Torquay United - 10/11/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

Two games in a week, and very different outcomes in my opinion.

i thought we deserved more on Tuesday at Barnet, but were fortunate to get a point today. that's football i guess.

when your centre backs and goalkeeper are your best three players, you know what sort of a game it was, but those three were excellent. we knew we'd struggle without Rene, but i didn't honestly think we'd struggle that much. our best chance of getting a goal today was from a set piece as Downes was so dominant in the air, and actually had the ball in the net, but unfortunately, was correctly called offside. on other occasions, our delivery into the box was poor.

i spoke to Dave SG before the game, and we spoke about the impact Howe's absense would have, and i thought we would need to change our game to suit the inclusion of Jarvis, but SG said we'd just play the same way as usual, and to a degree we were both right. we needed to change our game, but didn't, and as a result, presented very little as an attacking force.

it wasn't a good game, oxford, although marginly better than us on the day, were not particularly good either. i was pretty glad to hear the final whistle, it was a hard earned point, and a well deserved clean sheet for a defence and GK who had very little help from the rest of the team, so credit to them. more than anything though, the final whistle meant that i no longer had to endure that bloody d**khead behind me who did not stop spouting utter sh*te for the entire game. that man should carry a health warning.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Agree with Royal again. Thought we were shocking. Thank goodness Downes and Saah both had stormers though, Constable and Craddock are probably wondering what they're doing in Devon after finally being taken out of their pockets. Credit to Rice aswell, deserves a spot next week even if Poke is fit.

Oastler I didn't think did THAT well, not as good as he's been in the past. I also thought Damon did well, a couple of wayward passes but it's hard when there is no options.

Jarvis was about as useful as a [insert very un-useful thing here], absolutely terrible. No threat at all. Not a bad turnout of around 350? Gulls.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Interesting tweets from Manse. Someone suggested to him that we were poor today and he replied - "how were we poor today ??". The guy replied that he thought we were poor going forward and Manse tweeted back: "fair do's I agree with that nice to see someone who watches has a clue what's going on".

If Manse (and any other team members) are genuinely happy with that today, and thought that was anything better than a poor performance, then I'm worried. Lingy also seems similarly differing in opinion to many of us there, saying in his interview that the players can be proud of their workrate today. I wouldn't be if I'd just played a game of football like that.

Also, hope I'm wrong, but don't really like the way in which Manse seems to be suggesting the fans don't know what they're talking about. Maybe it's a joke and it's just gone flying over my head. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's not aimed at the fans.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

We had nothing up front today and although the defence won most in the air gave it straight back to Oxford as we were lying too deep to get the second phase ball and do anything with it. The guys worked hard but gave away too much possession too cheaply. No, not good but a determined rear guard action to cover up our inadequacies. A point is still worth something and although it weren't pretty we survived. The home crowd booed them off so that says something in our favour.
Good to see a few guys today, including Dave SG, Brady Regiment and some others. Onwards and upwards guys!!! :keepie:
Oblivion!!!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I think it's everyone here who suggests we are less than brilliant going forward. Not sure what Manse thinks we're upset with other than a relative lack of penetrative forward play?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Double postage for winners.

How in the name of all that is Holy are Oxford talking of finishing in the top seven and/or playing really well today? They were absolute tripe, couldn't hit a cows arse, kept falling over every 10 seconds, absolute rubbish. With Rene playing we might have come away with all three points. Unbelievable Jeff.

Matt.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

The comments I saw from Ling on BBC seemed reasonable, we weren't great but got a point so can be happy with that. First half I don't think work rate from either side was acceptable, don't know if it was the cold or a flat crowd but nobody seemed bothered to be playing, it was only after half time when Oxford seemed to believe they could win it that anyone got going. Our defense stood firm when put under pressure so can be pleased with the clean sheet they earned but I'd have liked to see more movement, desire, and willingness to get on the ball from the rest.

Oxford probably don't look bad enough to be relegation fodder but certainly aren't good enough to be amongst the top bunch, if that's a good performance for them I pity their fans.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

O.K OLD FART WARNING !!

I know this is the age of the internet ,twitter etc BUT it really pisses me off big time when everybody these days expects this club to somehow perform like fecking Barcelona every bloody game and has a go as to why we did not perform.

Everybody now has the opportunity to ultra criticise every fecking thing this club does or doesn't do. Every player is under ultra scrutiny. Why didn't he do this why didn't he do that. Its so irrational & boring BUT look at the situation we are in. Crowds (?) of 2000 and we are expected to produce teams of quality and style.

I am sorry BUT get realistic people.

We are so poor in comparison to even our neighbours Exeter who have gates of over 5000 and dare I say our Cornish "friends" who have at least 6500 who turn up to watch that crap. We on the other hand have to make do with half that or less (1800 FA Cup )but Mr Ling & the board are expected to produce a team of world beaters ?? !!!
PLEASE get fecking real and realise what we follow. A team that is situated in the backwaters of the country A place where hardly a fecker in the bay even cares about the club but we are somehow competing and dare I say over acheiving on what we have.
Yes I understand that people can get pissed off if the team doesn't do this or that BUT please just be bloody happy at we ARE doing !!

Years ago the only contact we had with the club was the report in the Herald Express. These days everything in analysed to the enth degree whereas in the past it would be accepted. Do we expect too much in this day & age ? I personally think so.

It may be the way of the world these days BUT before everybody goes loopy and types responses on the forums please people just pause for a second or two before launching into a tirade of abuse. It may stifle debate BUT I hope it may mean some logical sense is stated rather than a load of ill thought through clap trap that is normally posted !!

OUCH !!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Dutchgull wrote:O.K OLD FART WARNING !!

I know this is the age of the internet ,twitter etc BUT it really pisses me off big time when everybody these days expects this club to somehow perform like fecking Barcelona every bloody game and has a go as to why we did not perform.

Everybody now has the opportunity to ultra criticise every fecking thing this club does or doesn't do. Every player is under ultra scrutiny. Why didn't he do this why didn't he do that. Its so irrational & boring BUT look at the situation we are in. Crowds (?) of 2000 and we are expected to produce teams of quality and style.

I am sorry BUT get realistic people.

We are so poor in comparison to even our neighbours Exeter who have gates of over 5000 and dare I say our Cornish "friends" who have at least 6500 who turn up to watch that crap. We on the other hand have to make do with half that or less (1800 FA Cup )but Mr Ling & the board are expected to produce a team of world beaters ?? !!!
PLEASE get fecking real and realise what we follow. A team that is situated in the backwaters of the country A place where hardly a fecker in the bay even cares about the club but we are somehow competing and dare I say over acheiving on what we have.
Yes I understand that people can get pissed off if the team doesn't do this or that BUT please just be bloody happy at we ARE doing !!

Years ago the only contact we had with the club was the report in the Herald Express. These days everything in analysed to the enth degree whereas in the past it would be accepted. Do we expect too much in this day & age ? I personally think so.

It may be the way of the world these days BUT before everybody goes loopy and types responses on the forums please people just pause for a second or two before launching into a tirade of abuse. It may stifle debate BUT I hope it may mean some logical sense is stated rather than a load of ill thought through clap trap that is normally posted !!

OUCH !!
I agree - a point without Howe and Poke is decent. For two years in a row we have had our team ripped apart and yet we are on the fringes of the play offs. For people to be slagging off Lathrope, who has been one of best players for the past year is ridiculous. I was expecting a heavy beating when I saw the side we were fielding. I'm very happy with a point.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Normal crap peformance by the sound of it but grateful for a point the way we have been going and considering the shite team we fielded. Congratulations to Martin Rice who believe it or not has salvaged a point for us.
Was interested in the poster who had sight of Easton and Craig for the first time describing them as useless and average in that order.
Well that would be my assessment having seen them several times.
We have achieved a higher league position this season than our form really warrants as in quite alot of the games we have been terrible.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Dutch, you've missed the point both of the internet, and people's upset with the performances of the team. I'm on my phone and haven't the will to explain from here, but take it on trust.

Matt.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Regiment wrote:Two games in a week, and very different outcomes in my opinion.

i thought we deserved more on Tuesday at Barnet, but were fortunate to get a point today. that's football i guess.

when your centre backs and goalkeeper are your best three players, you know what sort of a game it was, but those three were excellent. we knew we'd struggle without Rene, but i didn't honestly think we'd struggle that much. our best chance of getting a goal today was from a set piece as Downes was so dominant in the air, and actually had the ball in the net, but unfortunately, was correctly called offside. on other occasions, our delivery into the box was poor.

i spoke to Dave SG before the game, and we spoke about the impact Howe's absense would have, and i thought we would need to change our game to suit the inclusion of Jarvis, but SG said we'd just play the same way as usual, and to a degree we were both right. we needed to change our game, but didn't, and as a result, presented very little as an attacking force.

it wasn't a good game, oxford, although marginly better than us on the day, were not particularly good either. i was pretty glad to hear the final whistle, it was a hard earned point, and a well deserved clean sheet for a defence and GK who had very little help from the rest of the team, so credit to them. more than anything though, the final whistle meant that i no longer had to endure that bloody d**khead behind me who did not stop spouting utter sh*te for the entire game. that man should carry a health warning.

I didn't even go! :@
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

brucie wrote:Normal crap peformance by the sound of it but grateful for a point the way we have been going and considering the sh*t team we fielded. Congratulations to Martin Rice who believe it or not has salvaged a point for us.
Was interested in the poster who had sight of Easton and Craig for the first time describing them as useless and average in that order.
Well that would be my assessment having seen them several times.
We have achieved a higher league position this season than our form really warrants as in quite alot of the games we have been terrible.
Not bad for 'a clown' :lol:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Bigman wrote:Our defense stood firm when put under pressure so can be pleased with the clean sheet they earned but I'd have liked to see more movement, desire, and willingness to get on the ball from the rest.
Sorry about this, but unless you're American (in which case you're forgiven because we all know the Americans are beyond help when it comes to spelling) I should point out that the correct spelling is defence, not defense. And, furthermore, defensive, not defencive.

Is that absolutely clear...?? =D
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

well said dutch, the crap that comes out of some people is unbelievable, you are right what you say, look how we are doing compared to plymouth, half the gates they get and we are in 8th place, we have to be realistic here, lingy is doing a great job here with limited resources, if we finish in the top ten i reckon it will be a good job done anything higher will be a fantastic bonus, and i understand what mansell is saying, maybe we coulld have been better going forward but if the team works hard and we gat a point away from home then i think we should be happy, ome on you yellows :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: