Easter Monday, Torquay v Woking, 2/4/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Dover cannot come quick enough! If we win that, It will be key. I believe we can and will beat them! Although I am not getting ahead of myself.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Just home. A well deserved win, the better team throughout. Although we almost conspired to gift Woking a couple more goals. Very proud of the team today, they did the right things (mostly) on a tricky pitch. Romain was first class, wish we’d had him all season. Well done to the players, well done to Owers👏👏👏👏👏👏👏. Added belatedly, mea culpa, well done to the ground staff, we owe them huge gratitude for getting the pitch playable despite the shite weather that we have had for weeks absolutely weeks (I want to move to Spain).

As for the referee, dear me, Little Man syndrome to the max, we won despite him and his theatrics. I could see what he was going to be like, high fiving the linesmen just before kick off. A complete ****.
Last edited by gullintwoplaces on 02 Apr 2018, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Good win today, Woking were poor, very poor, probably not the best performance by Torquay we’ve seen either but they did ok. I think if they had pressured the back four of Woking more they would probably would of got a few more goals in the first half, they looked nervy. Cracking strike from Evans for the second, but as always, only a one goal lead becomes nervy in the last few minutes. Definitely deserved the win, fingers and toes crossed for next week now!
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by goody2449 »

gullintwoplaces wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 18:11 Just home. A well deserved win, the better team throughout. Although we almost conspired to gift Woking a couple more goals. Very proud of the team today, they did the right things (mostly) on a tricky pitch. Romain was first class, wish we’d had him all season. Well done to the players, well done to Owers👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

A[highlight=yellow]s for the referee, dear me, Little Man syndrome to the max, we won despite him and his theatrics. I could see what he was going to be like, high fiving the linesmen just before kick off. A complete ****.[/highlight]
Couldn’t agree more!!!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

brucie wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 18:01 So if Owers keeps us up he has failed. You really are an idiot.
Like I said. There were many fans there today who deserve the club to survive.

There are some that don't as has just been clearly highlighted.

Take Arsenal. Just say they finish 8th in the league but win the FA Cup. It's success but ultimately failure based on the expectations of the club at the start of the season.

Torquay don't expect to be finishing 5th bottom of this shocking league so if they do so then they have that success of survival but ultimately it's failure.

I'm sure most of us would have expected Owers to gradually guide the club to somewhere near lower mid table over the course of the last 6 months but instead the club has been cut adrift of safety for quite some time.

I trust this explains the theory of my thinking to you? Always helps to do that with more simpler, less imaginative folk I find.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

well some people put some shit on here, if Owers keeps us up he surely deserves another crack at it. I some times despair at Torquay fans, give the guy a break.
NOBODY SHOULD GET PRAISED IF WE STAY UP, WHAT THE **** IS THAT SHIT ABOUT. GET REAL! OWERS HAS FAILED, WHAT CRAP!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Is Dover a must win ?

Must draw minimum ?

Its a tough ask but got to get something from Dover and at least keep the status quo for the final 6 games

I know there is still a big and possible bigger gap depending on barrows in hand games. I'm looking at Woking with a potential 4 point gap if we can win our game in hand over them. Catch Woking and possibly be safe depends on Solihull aswell.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Relegation or great escape number x

Think the time is now is too support the manager and squad and have a debrief at the end of the season.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by goody2449 »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 18:18 Relegation or great escape number x

Think the time is now is too support the manager and squad and have a debrief at the end of the season.
:goodpost:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

This club certainly knows how to play poker. I still think we have too much to do with 6 games to play. But the fact is we are fighting and whilst there is hope we have to believe. Another return of10/12 from our next 4 games, will really set the cats amongst the pigeons. Well done to the entire Torquayunited set up today
Lucy
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Agree I'm no fa of Owers but as things stand the management and players need full support ,if we fail then the inquest can follow
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Zippy wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 18:15 well some people put some shit on here, if Owers keeps us up he surely deserves another crack at it. I some times despair at Torquay fans, give the guy a break.
NOBODY SHOULD GET PRAISED IF WE STAY UP, WHAT THE **** IS THAT SHIT ABOUT. GET REAL! OWERS HAS FAILED, WHAT CRAP!
"if Owers keeps us up he surely deserves another crack at it...."

And you said it was OTHER people who put some shit on here.

If Owers keeps the club up then it's handshakes all round, pats on the back, peace made and he looks for another job. Then get someone in who has what it takes to propel this club forward. Not keep it bobbing up and down but stabilise it and move it forward. This person is not Owers.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Anyway, a positive all round today despite people not being able to interpret others posts properly again. I see it was Cruisinho who posted the original no praise post and I defended Owers saying it was a bit harsh but I expected the predictable responses. Let today be about the win and the hope and nothing else.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Just got back after a first class performance by the ground staff and crowd, a mixed performance from the team and a pretty poor performance from the referee!

Dorel summed up the performance for me - made a couple of cracking saves, was at fault for their goal and panicked too much towards the end, flapping uselessly at a couple of crosses and bringing pressure on colleagues.

So we were actually quite fortunate to win - an inexplicable handball gave us the lead and was the difference between winning and drawing. Having said that, we did at least make rather more chances for ourselves today. A total of 14 attempts and 7 on target.

Is it a sign that we can make a third great escape? Don't think so - we have too much ground to make up - but at least it gives hope (but that's what kills you!).
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

It's all ifs and buts ,,,fact is we still staring firmly at the relegation hatch and instead of having to struggle through 46 odd games next season ( where there is no suggestion from me we will come back up at the first attempt ) we must try and build and carry on this momentum. Far better we put everything positive into last 7 odd games

I'm not surprised we won today and the seeing the massive efforts to actually get the game played was a master stroke by the club actually. It was a positive thing to do and allowed the reasonable good form to continue

The only thing we should be discussing about is not nicho v owers , or if owers waves to the fans , or is owers at fault , even osborne situation has to take a back step. Not forgetting about it. But the only thing we should be doing is backing the squad and hopefully encouraging the home counties fans and beyond to get to Dover and shout and support the team from the first whistle.
The positivity I've felt from good Friday has continued today and long may it do so.
Fantastic couple of wins and we need to outshout and out smart Dover

I'm feeling good