Torquay United v Wycombe Wanderers Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Burst?

What are they made out of nowadays? Balloons?! :na:
they might as well be if you've had a bet.............. :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

ToffeeGull
New Signing
New Signing

Post by ToffeeGull »

This is my second season as a Torquay fan, what have I let myself in for?

I sat in the family stand today for the first time this season, blimey it can get cold there. My overall impression today was that the players didn't care, it very much had a pre season feel to it from our side. Credit to Wycombe, they brought their A game and survival as a result. I found myself happy for them at the end ( I even had goosebumps at the sight of them celebrating survival when the rovers result was confirmed), albeit abit jealous at how much atmosphere we would have had, had we got just ONE more win this season.

On a side note, what was everyones views on the penalty? from where I was sat, it looked a blatant dive, but that may well have been my angle of it...
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

OllieGull wrote:I'm so annoyed I actually bothered turning up today to watch that, wasted my time. The more depressing thing is I'll be renewing next season!
Yes - fully agree. Total waste of a Saturday afternoon. Even shopping at Trago Mills with the missus would have been more entertaining than that, and believe me, that says it all ! I suspect there were players out there this afternoon who know they won't be here next season. However, Hargreaves will not be able to make wholesale changes because we have bloodsuckers on two-year contracts (Tonge, Hawley and Harding) who will continue to pick up money they haven't earned and bleed the club dry in the process. On this afternoon's performance, we were the worst team in the division. Dreadful.
Kinky John Fowler
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Kinky John Fowler »

Dave_Pougher wrote: Think they were after the Bristol City fans that had decided to "pop in" to the away end today & who can blame them, but I take your point.
Rovers fans were in with Birmingham fans at Ashton Gate last year when Bristol City got relegated, if they can't take it they shouldn't do it themselves. If there were City fans in attendance yesterday, they kept themselves to themselves as the Mansfield fans on their forum clearly didnt even know they were there. The group of 30 or so fans in the away section yesterday that Gasheads thought were City fans travelled to Bristol on Mansfield coaches according to Stags fans.

You say "who can blame them" I think its a shame that you seem to suggest that Rovers fans actions yesterday can be excused by the possibility of a handful of City fans being in the ground. No excuse for it IMO, disgusting behaviour.

To the rest of you Gulls fans, I sincerely hope you are back in the Football League at the earliest possible opportunity. Always a shame to see a proper football club with decent fans fall through the trapdoor. Good luck :)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yesterdays game was meaningless for us. The bookies don't often get it wrong and Wycombe were favourites to win the the game by some margin (just as we were last week at Mansfield).
That tells its own story as those odds would not be replicated if the games were played at any other time in the season.
Fortune favoured Wycombe yesterday as Bristol Rovers somehow comitted hari kari - think they struck the woodwork a few times which just goes to show when your lucks out there isn't alot you can do.