Uncle Clarke part 812

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

toastkid wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 06:21 "... it's got nothing to do with budgets..."

Tell Wrexham that....
You could argue it is to do with budgets but no way did we have a bottom four budget.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

The comedians on here that are talking budgets need a reality check. Smaller clubs some part time with smaller budgets have given a 30 year experienced Manager a lesson in football this season. The reason we have been outfought, outwitted, outplayed and lead by a Dinosaur who is too stubborn to change or accept the blame for this shambles of a season…..yes it would be a great idea to let him continue to run it as a part timer again 🙄
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Have to agree with DevonBee, 100% on point 👍, Wealdstone, Maidenhead both part time, Altrincham debut season going full time, Bromley in play offs, Halifax on 60 points and in Trophy final, yet we've played direct, long ball football, used 39 players, and up untill 7 games ago, were shocking, GJ has been good, has a great CV and has achieved so much in the game, but I'm not being ageist, he now needs to retire and put his feet up on a sun lounger for a long time, enjoy a few San Miguels and walk away from the game with his head held high.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Wealdstone, Bromley & Maidenhead are in or near a huge catchment area called London. Altrincham are near another huge catchment area called Manchester, we're in the wilderness. Get a grip.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Which makes it even more of an achievement that they survive, imagine having big premier League clubs/championship clubs on your doorstep...It can't be easy for them, We seemed to get a shitload of players from the south east this last season just gone, probably the cast offs nobody else wanted, does make you wonder why they came all the way to Gulls to get a game.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 10:40 Wealdstone, Bromley & Maidenhead are in or near a huge catchment area called London. Altrincham are near another huge catchment area called Manchester, we're in the wilderness. Get a grip.
Same old tired excuse. Torquay United managers in the past have thrown together good teams despite our geographical location.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Amazing comments from the Cuckoo brigade.
Hopefully next week the question will be for us to name a better replacement for Johnson…. 🥳😂
As that’s normally the one liner 🙄
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I agree with southampton gull that catchment areas play a big factor in attracting players, they invariably come from that area so do need to rent in torquay or be stuck 8 to a house with a load of juveniles that think a henry hoover is a new meal at mcdonalds.
However we attract bigger crowds than the three mentioned by SG so paying a bit extra to entice them down would not break the bank, we must be able to put in place a recruitment policy that allows players to travel home after matches ,which doesnt involve crossing a time zone. Johnson and downes do exactly that, As a start we have to make far more and better contacts with plymouth, exeter and the two bristols.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Cheddargull wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 11:17 Same old tired excuse. Torquay United managers in the past have thrown together good teams despite our geographical location.
So did Gary Johnson when his budget allowed. Next?
Dave

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

The Johnson budget whatever it was should have ensured he could have finished ahead of part time teams and certainly out of the bottom 4. If Johnson did not fancy the budget to achieve better than he has with this shambolic bunch he has recruited…. I wish like many others he would have walked away from what is clearly a part time lucrative roll for him, and given an opportunity to somebody else.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 10:40 Wealdstone, Bromley & Maidenhead are in or near a huge catchment area called London. Altrincham are near another huge catchment area called Manchester, we're in the wilderness. Get a grip.
This is bang on the point I've made a while now. Look to relocate training out of area.

Others have said we cobbled together a team in the past. This would have been paying league two wages to relocate. Young players will not relocate to Devon, plus the cost of living. Let's open our eyes.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Nick Potkins wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 15:50 This is bang on the point I've made a while now. Look to relocate training out of area.

Others have said we cobbled together a team in the past. This would have been paying league two wages to relocate. Young players will not relocate to Devon, plus the cost of living. Let's open our eyes.
Relocating the training is an excellent idea I agree, however with the way decisions are made at this level for our club I am unsure if anybody is actually capable of making it.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Nick Potkins wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 15:50 This is bang on the point I've made a while now. Look to relocate training out of area.

Most are as deluded as Premiership fans and their fantasy football notions. It's worth trying but because of how remote we are it could make it even less appealing depending on logistics.
Dave

Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 15:07 So did Gary Johnson when his budget allowed. Next?
Our budget has rumoured to have been top quartile not bottom four.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

DevonBee wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 15:57 Relocating the training is an excellent idea I agree, however with the way decisions are made at this level for our club I am unsure if anybody is actually capable of making it.
I would be against this.

first - it's not as if relocating the training base will mean we're going to suddenly attract players from London or any of the northern football centres. At most it'd be closer to Bristol, which yes, is probably easier travel wise for players, but no guarantee that we'll suddenly be an appealing option to those players.

second - would fear it creates the perception of the club leaving the town. We're never going to be Manchester United with the global support that entails. We are, by our very nature, a local football club. That means the only way for it to be viable long term is to serve as a community hub and a source of pride for those that live in the area. moving the training base away removes that connection to the community.

If the club is ever to success in a way that Exeter, or clubs at our level like Altrincham, Bromley, etc do, then that connection to the community is essential. Right now the goal is getting back into NL (assuming relegation is confirmed tomorrow). Allowing the owner to move training further away is, in my view, another nail in the coffin as there's no need for them to commit to the community - either in the the form of a stadium or in a multi-use facility that can be used as a training base and revenue source. This is obviously some way in the future, but we've seen that there are owners who'd be happy to move the club further away if they thought it'd make them money - and I, like a lot of fans, don't have faith in CO that he wouldn't also try to pull something like this if he felt there was money in it.
Cheddargull wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 16:28 Our budget has rumoured to have been top quartile not bottom four.
"Rumoured"

So nobody knows. Only the owner, and the manager. Everybody is making stuff up. Top quartile is top 6 in a division of 24. Wrexham, Notts, Chesterfield are way ahead of the rest. I think Bromley also have a decent budget (they make money from the stadium despite nobody giving a shit about *their* games) and I'd hazard a guess that Southend and Scunthorpe are also up there (given late season acquisitions).

It doesn't really matter now - and what's not in dispute that whatever budget there was hasn't been used effectively - but I really don't think we'd have been in the top 6 budget-wise this year.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.