Martin Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

Gems would be very nice, but we will need some experience. I just hope he doesn't go back for too many players he has coached in the past. Adam Miller, as previously suggested, might be worth a look but not convinced by some of the others named.

First things first - see what he says at the press conference, appoint an assistant and then get some new blood in, while of course keeping everything we still have (apart from Danny)
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

AndyC wrote:Gems would be very nice, but we will need some experience. I just hope he doesn't go back for too many players he has coached in the past. Adam Miller, as previously suggested, might be worth a look but not convinced by some of the others named.

First things first - see what he says at the press conference, appoint an assistant and then get some new blood in, while of course keeping everything we still have (apart from Danny)
think you are being a bit harsh on Danny....he only gets given 5 minutes run out...i personally rate him..gives us pace (not height) and scored a few beauties for us
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Whilst I think Danny has probably run his course with us, I feel he's been given a lot of stick on here undeservedly.

Anyhoo, I like what AndyC has said about Ling. At least he hasn't been sat on his jacksy since Cambridge, he'll come here with ideas for players and a plan, which must be what impressed the board. And I'm sure that even the most angry/frustrated of fans of here would love Ling to prove them wrong. Let's hope that this forum is full of praise for him in the coming months. :-D
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

The Board have made a surprising appointment. Only time will tell if they got it right. In my time I interviewed many people and some do interview well. You only find out 6 months later if you made the right decision.
Martin Ling had a long playing career 564 games in 17 years. He managed LO for 280 games and 87 at Cambridge. I would say this is a make or break move for him professionally. I believe in the modern game man management is everything. ML has much to commend him. and he obviously impressed the Board,it is how he inspires the players,or otherwise, which will determine success or failure. The jury is out.
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

While I'm still dissapointed, or underwhelmed at the appointment, Ling is our manager now and no matter how much we are all dissapointed etc, that isn't going to change, for now anyway.

As long as he has the players behind him 110%, then the fans have got to do the same. Our more experienced players, our leaders, have really got to step it up once again this year. Mansell and Nicholson especially. Both love the club, that's clear to see, and our most experienced players. Manse MUST keep the armband, and Nicho should be deputy. They are exactly the type of players that Torquay need. Like Manse said in an interview recently, players may not want to move right the way down to Torquay, but when they do, we have to show them why it is such a fantastic club to be at.

The club, the manager, and the players need our support now, no more moaning, no more whinging, just get behind them and drive the club forward. We are the club, the players are the club, the board is the club, we are all in this together and that is something that we can't forget.

We still have some top, top players. O'Kane is surely the best central midfielder we have had since Aggy, Manse, while not the most techinally gifted player, is so hard working and is, in my opinion, a fantastic leader, and Nicho, who has one of, if not the best left foot in the lower leagues. Then you've got Zebs, who has the work rate, and the skill, ok so occasionaly he makes mistakes, but that is the reason he is playing in League Two.

On top of that we've got some great youngsters who really can go far. Kee, Lathrope, Ellis, Robertson, Halpin, even Macklin, who is to say that these players won't step it up this season. WIth the right development those players can go far, especially Ellis.

Sometimes the club isn't the most proffesional, sometimes we as fans can be left out more than we should be, but we DO have a lot of things to be positive about! The young lads we have at this club could, in the coming years, bring us a hell of a lot of money, and it is certainly going to be enjoyable to watch these players grow.

We've all supported Torquay long enough to know the stresses you have to go through to be a fan of TUFC, so what is so different now? Yes, we do things the hard way, but that is what makes it so enjoyable when everything clicks. And who is to say that ML won't be the person who does make it click?
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by AndyC »

Very informative interview with the chairman on the website right now - well worth a read I would say.

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 54,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

New post on the club website from Simon Baker :-

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 54,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i'm getting a bit fed up with being told "last season was an over-achievement", but other than that, I think he's given an honest assessment of the work ahead.

i look forward to hearing Martin's views later today.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Yes.. agree. Good statement, helps with the "underwhelming"!!
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Sounds like staying in the league is the plan.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

hhhmmmm...... I am trying to get on board with the appointment but still have the taste of disappointment. Hope I can get there like others have been able to.

One thing is for certain - he needs to get moving on the recruitment front and I hope this is indicated in his views when he talks later today.
Last edited by Richinns on 14 Jun 2011, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Doesn't fill you with confidence when your chairman expects his club to struggle next season. Sigh.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by AndyC »

Don't know seriously what else he could say?

If he'd said we're aiming to improve on last season he's opening himself up for all kinds of criticism later in the season. Now he can just get the criticism of lacking ambition out of the way now.

Will certainly be interesting to see what the new boss has to say...hopefully he's currently outlining his plan for world domination.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

tommyg wrote:Doesn't fill you with confidence when your chairman expects us to struggle next season. Sigh.
I would rather have a board in touch with reality than a gun-ho lose all approach. It will be a season for rebuilding and securing rather than pushing for promotion. If that falls out as a consequence then its a welcome bonus.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Cambridge_Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Cambridge_Gull »

Good to see an informative update on the website that explains the decision-making process. It seems Forster was ruled out due to lack of experience and Hughes due to lack of local contacts/links.
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

Think that is a fair and honest statement from SB. I'd rather he was honest and laid out his expectations, instead of saying we were in the play offs last season so this year we expect to get automatic.

For the stick they've taken recently, it's a honest assessment from the club and for that they have to be praised.