Martin Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Like most fans I will give Ling a chance of course but having had a bit of time to take it in, I certainly feel this isn't a great appointment. If he isn't good enough for Grimsby why is he good enough here? You have to wonder why the board have bothered to extend the early bird season ticket deal, who on earth is going to want to get one now who hadn't already bought one?

This was a total bolt from the blue, if Ling simply turned up today, was interviewed and then offered the job you have to wonder why the board bothered with a shortlist in the first place. They've known PB was leaving for how long?? And yet it doesn't seem as though ML was a preferred appointment until today, as far as we know. The article dated the 08th June on the official site stated the board had drawn up a shortlist of potential candidates, I assume that as he hadn't been interviewed at this point there was no way Ling could have been on it. There were certainly worse candidates such as Holdsworth, but I feel we have paid the price for not having a 'football person' at the club. I think had someone like Colin Lee still been at the club we would have gone for someone like Nicky Forster but instead the board have opted for a 'safer' (in terms of experience) and no doubt 'cheaper' option.

I'm not going to refuse to turn up because my preferred appointment wasn't chosen as I don't think that's right but I still feel the board have made a mistake here. I will be more delighted than anyone if ML can prove me wrong. You have to wonder if Simon Baker will be taking his regular spot on the pop-side next season, especially if things don't start well!
Last edited by taunton_gull on 13 Jun 2011, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Mansell's most recent tweet is interesting.....................

http://x.com/#!/manse7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TUST member 203
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

divingbboy wrote:Mansell's most recent tweet is interesting.....................

http://x.com/#!/manse7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He seems as surprised as us!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

I hope that's a good WOW! ??
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

No chance in hell it being a good wow!!

Jesus this smacks of BSP, on the cheap, crap

We are going to need more than good luck!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:No chance in hell it being a good wow!!

Jesus this smacks of BSP, on the cheap, crap

We are going to need more than good luck!
Quite.

I don't think Danny Potter and Martin Ling exactly saw "eye to eye" and given the way players talk I imagine Manse may have already formed an opinion of the new Manager's merits!

It's a difficult one knowing what to think of this appointment, it's true to say that every Cambridge fan seems absolutely delighted that he is finally off their payroll and that they are free of him ... some even seem genuinely sorry for us that we have appointed him and are predicting a swift return to the BSP! On the other hand the few Leyton Orient fans who've commented seem to hold him in a lot higher regard, so there is some hope. Whether they like it, or not, Cambridge Utd have been in decline ever since that Play Off Final defeat to us and having literally "chucked the kitchen sink" at trying to win promotion that year they have been cutting costs ever since and all of their better players quickly moved on after that defeat. They are still seeking new owners and as far as I can see there is little in the way of any investment going into the football club and so given this background it is hardly surprising that Ling wasn't a success.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

God I do hope he has a good start to the season or he is goanna get a load of stick, not to mention Simon Baker. In my opinion I think it's not a bad appointment and we as fans need to give Martin Ling time to bring some players in and settle in until we all start wanting him out. Even though it seems that he failed as manager of Cambridge at least he has a good 6 year football league experience and a promotion under his CV unlike many who were on our shortlist. I will be backing him from the start and good luck to him!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

Very, very dissapointed. Looks like Nicky Forster is too..... http://x.com/#!/nickyforster200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems absolutely crazy to me, and stinks of unproffesionalism. Why have a shortlist, to then appoint some completely random? And I'm sorry, but if he was the number one candidate in a list of 50 applicants, then we are well and truly ****.

Expect a few more imminent departures, along with Branston, I'm expecting Zebs to go, O'Kane too.

Also, would it of been unreasonable of Manse to expect some kind of communication regarding the new manager, as he is the captain of the club? You'd of thought that he would of been spoken to? Judging by his comments, he certainly doesn't seem to pleased and I wouldn't of thought there are many players at the club that are either.
HarrowGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by HarrowGull »

Wow. Just WOW! This is the guy that took Cambridge from finishing 2nd in the BSP two years in a row to a 10th place finish the next season, and had them in 16th when he was sacked earlier this season after losing 4-0 to Bath City...

I try not to criticise the board, but this is just ridiculous. I really can't think of anyone worse...
salmiakki
Trialist
Trialist

Post by salmiakki »

Will give him a chance but i've just had some interesting views from an Orient-supporting work mate:

"He bolstered the midfield when he took over from Paul Brush but was fond of playing people out of position"

"His biggest annoying habit was waiting too long in pre-season to sign his targets, e.g. we could have got Mackail Smith from Dag but Ling dillied and dallied and he signed for Posh instead"

but…

"Ling's press conferences were always on the nail though, he knows when his teams don't perform and won't try to pull the wool over your eyes or blame a ref, weather, fans etc"

I hope Billy and Manse don't read the first one :whistle:
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Lets give the guy a chance. Last time he was in League Two he did very well and got Orient promoted. He struggled at Cambridge but it sounds like they werent financially great when he was there and life wasnt that easy. As has been said lets give him a chance before we start slating him. Its a shock appointment but so was Buckle...

He likes to play football like Buckle did. So thats a start we already have the players for that style of play..
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

TUFC92 wrote:Very, very dissapointed. Looks like Nicky Forster is too..... http://x.com/#!/nickyforster200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Feel disappointed for Forster, I really do.

You have to feel for the guy - he was hugely popular at Brentford and indeed it seems liked and respected wherever he has played. He must have thought he was in with a good shout, given all the positive comments on here and given the way punters were backing him at the bookies. It just goes to show how difficult it is to get that first step on the ladder - all too often clubs go for the more experienced option and you get the situation where serial losers (like Peter Taylor) or big names (Rosler, DiCanio) keep getting plum jobs while others are never given a chance.

He (Forster) must have fancied his chances with us to have ruled himself out of the Hayes and Yeading job. I don't doubt he would have represented a gamble - all of the Managers on that shortlist would have - but perhaps in the end it all came down to his wage demands? Perhaps he priced himself out of it, I guess we will never know, but judging by the reaction on here he would have proved a very popular choice with the fans...

Best of luck Fozzy, I hope you get the chance to prove us (and Brentford) wrong somewhere.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Martin **** unbelievable! ©BoomBoom2011

You know it's bad when you got fans from a club below you are taking the piss out of you, I all for giving Ling a chance but it just doesn't look good does it.

"I'm right everybody else is wrong" attitude.

Great. Can't wait for season to start!
knh316
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: dont have one

Post by knh316 »

:keepie: 8/maybe he will bring scott mcgleish to the club,great goalscoring record and played under ling at orient,plus i think he is a free agent.maybe the candidates had to give a list of realistic potential signings and this had some bearing on the boards decision
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

'impressive consolidation of tenth place'. There's positive spin and there's Shane Warne esque bowled around the legs spin.

^^
Have to say that's a potential great shout on mcgleish. Would love for that to happen even if only for a season. he'd still comfortably notch 15 in League 2.