Away Kit?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

CornishGull wrote: 23 May 2024, 10:50 REV comps is based in Devon, is it connected to one of the consortium members?
They have a few people local and believe they would be well connected to those behind VX3

They certainly turn over a large amount of money!!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

MellowYellow wrote: 23 May 2024, 04:51 As a football shirt I can live with it but with fans having to fork out some serious cash to buy the football shirt it's ought to be important for commercial sales that the shirts have some street cred and fashion statement. The away kit design is at least urban and leveraged to promote a more purposeful cause of drawing attention to the Torbay Riviera.
Torquay United is not Real Madrid. nobody is buying a shirt of ours as a 'fashion statement'. It's a football shirt. The people buying wil be 99.99% Torquay United supporters. Nobody is looking at regional football sides for their next outfit to the Oscars. You could possibly argue that the yellow shirt isn't something you'd wear...around town (yellow is a tough colour in that respect) but I could see the away shirt, with the white main colour and pastel detail, being acceptable 'summer wear', but again - you're not buying it unless you have an affinity for the club. There is a smallish subculture who loves to find obscure teams and buy their shirts if they like them, but I would be amazed if any of them would even have heard of us.

For the most important thing is availability - will these be availabe to buy from the club shop by mid-july? WIll we have a serviceable online shop for those outside of South Devon to buy (and be delivered in tim for the season)? I don't know who ownsw VX3 and I know I'm never getting an answer, but for the club coffers it would do a tremendous amount of good if they (VX3) were producing and selling these at cost, or for a very small profit on their side.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

happytorq wrote: 23 May 2024, 15:16 Torquay United is not Real Madrid. nobody is buying a shirt of ours as a 'fashion statement'. It's a football shirt. T
Ten years ago I would have concurred that football shirts were simply shirts of your team to distinguish them from the opposition. Nonetheless, in today's social media influencing some 43% of 6,000 voters broke with tradition and picked our away kit based on a pink palm tree inspired design. Were all these voters 99.9% loyal, dedicated Torquay supporters? or a range of people simply making the decision on what shirt they loved the look of and would wear. Based on this I stand by my comment that modern football shirts have become a way for fans to express their identity, and as such, they have become a fashion statement that transcends sport.

To reiterate I am happy with the home kit design as a garment that represents my team but would have been equally if not more happy (as a fashion statement) had the home kit been the palm tree inspired design in yellow and blue. There, I said it!
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

gateman49 wrote: 23 May 2024, 11:17 Ghastly, if true. It looks like an American prison tunic.

Oh Brother Where Art Thou (anybody know the Torquay connection to this film?)
*Fantastic, if true.

cheer up!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

gateman49 wrote: 23 May 2024, 11:17 Ghastly, if true. It looks like an American prison tunic.
Thoughtfully designed for next seasons 'Great Escape'
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 23 May 2024, 18:50 *Fantastic, if true.

cheer up!
I'm a happy bunny deep down, and, as I voted for the winning away kit choice, I'll probably wear that to games home or away!
(So far nobody has connected that film with Torquay)
CornishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CornishGull »

The cinematographer is Roger Deakins who was born in Torquay.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

CornishGull wrote: 23 May 2024, 23:54 The cinematographer is Roger Deakins who was born in Torquay.
Well done, I was in the same art classes as him at TBGS and he was always getting top marks. He now has two Oscars and I haven't got any. On reflection, he could have been our own Hollywood connection. Ah well.