Players Under Contract

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
dtwilliams
Trialist
Trialist
Watches from: Pop side

Post by dtwilliams »

Let’s face it. If we get off to a poor start the fans are gonna be hounding GJ out of the club
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Hopefully Johnson acts quickly in the market. I’m actually very surprised at how quickly the list came out for once 😂
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Think Moyse and Omar have been unlucky not to get a season in the NLS. Some of those contracted did not look to have much heart when the going got tough. Would like to wish the pair of them best wishes.
kerswellgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by kerswellgull »

Surprised at the negative comments about Omar
Whenever he has been called in has done a job
Obviously still not the finished article
At least shows enthusiasm, more than can be said for some in the squad
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

The quality of our full/wing backs will be the biggest factor in whether we bounce back. If we can land a decent LB then I’d play Moxey at CB.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

kerswellgull wrote: 03 May 2023, 23:59 Surprised at the negative comments about Omar
I like Omar, and I really wanted him to do well. He looked strong, and pretty big, and of course the enthusiasm he clearly has is worth...something. But he kept getting caught out. Whenever we brough him on late in games it was real heart-in-mouth times. I never felt confident that we'd easily hold on to a lead (I mean, that was not exclusive to Ali Omar!)

I dod feel at varying points that he'd make a decent defensive midfielder, because his range of passing was actually pretty good, and being there he'd not be the last line of defence, but...we can't afford to have guys figuring out their own positions when we expect to get immediately promoted. A shame, but I see why the decision was made.

Also - Admiral - yes, our wing backs will absolutely define our season. If Martin can return at 100% and Crowe ends up being 'decent', we have a great chance. I think Moxey will play on the left side of a back 3 anyway, since we saw last season that he just can't keep up with the 22 year old wingers any more - but his experience and class is very helpful in that central area.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I really liked Omar but I cannot get out of my head the game at Plainmoor v Maidenhead on Tuesday evening 4th October last.

In the 95th minute Maidenhead scored the winner to win 2-3. Had that last second goal not been conceded Maidenhead would have been relegated with 48 points to our 49 points as it turned out.

I know there were lots of games lost late on but in truth it was this goal that cost us in the end. Omar was a late sub but watched the ball not the man and we lost. I know it seems unfair but it was a very costly error.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

kerswellgull wrote: 03 May 2023, 23:59 Surprised at the negative comments about Omar
It's a shame but it's heart in mouth time every time he's brought on. Boreham Wood away was another.
He seems to have the ability but needs to learn positional sense etc. Maybe another coach can help him to improve.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Omar still develop into a decent player if he gets better coaching than was offered by Johnson and Downes.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

SWgull wrote: 04 May 2023, 21:24 I wouldn't be surprised to see Omar still develop into a decent player if he gets better coaching than was offered by Johnson and Downes.
They’re never at training to coach him!
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

He did make errors but Donnellan make some howlers as well, as did Marshall. Defensive cock ups and bad decision making (i.e. they often looked for an unlikely goal, rather than defending what we had) cost us.

Hey ho. Next season will be a belter!
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Recruitment, Coaching, Fitness, Tactics, Game Management…all basic requirements in this Dog and Duck League.
Nothing has changed at the helm, and we are blessed with many on contracts who have proven that they are not good enough 🤔 Fact
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

DevonBee wrote: 05 May 2023, 08:04 Recruitment, Coaching, Fitness, Tactics, Game Management…all basic requirements in this Dog and Duck League.
Nothing has changed at the helm, and we are blessed with many on contracts who have proven that they are not good enough 🤔 Fact
Yep, some of them weren't good enough for the NL, but I don't recall many moaning about them when they were being signed, particularly those with NL experience.
However, they maybe good enough to play in the NLS after going through what they have this season and help get us back into the NL at the first attempt.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 05 May 2023, 08:34 Yep, some of them weren't good enough for the NL, but I don't recall many moaning about them when they were being signed, particularly those with NL experience.
However, they maybe good enough to play in the NLS after going through what they have this season and help get us back into the NL at the first attempt.
Maybe good enough is the key word. That’s the problem none of us are convinced. The fitness levels are extremely questionable, as was proven with the number of late goals we conceded.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

DevonBee wrote: 05 May 2023, 09:12 Maybe good enough is the key word. That’s the problem none of us are convinced. The fitness levels are extremely questionable, as was proven with the number of late goals we conceded.
To be fair that was more about poor game management than lack of fitness. Either way it's not good!!