A Review of or Squad after 14 League Games.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

I think a lot of people are being overly critical given the circumstances.

We have lost 45 goals from last years Outgoings to which we only got £50k back for them, thats not including the goals we weren't conceding because of our defenders and keeper, I'd say an estimate of 25 goals have been added to the goals against column because of this.

Now please tell me how any manager is meant to replace the football league talent that contributed 45 goals, defenders/keepers that stopped about 25 goals all on a £50k budget?

Have these signings worked? Not all of them but we aren't a prime location for quality players to come down and ply their trade when they can go to a major city to do it.

I believe some of these players will come good and make a difference but that was never going to happen from the start when you bring in 10+ into the squad.

Lastly, this team is currently built for a back 5 formation purely based on how the team is, people wanting a back 4 need to realise that each formation has to have the right players to have the formation work.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

General observation is the loan signings have proved more successful than the main signings. We all know that any signing and contracts offered is a risk, however these are the gaffers choice and he has created the mess we are in. Ditch Marshall as he is a complete liability to us. Hanson has achieved very little, I am still not sure what his position is.
Andrews can go, he has spent more time on his backside than on his feet, he has been a huge disappintment

We are blessed with the other summer signings and can only hope they improve, however
many will not cut it in this game in my opinion.
I think Mc Gavin and Donnellan are at best squad players , certainly not first team, both are slow and i would not want either in a relegation scrap.
Thats the reality
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

somersetgull wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 22:01 I doubt he will want to manage in the South anyway.

Good game.

But blimey we are doomed.

I won't rant or say which players wouldn't get a game for Newton Abbott Spurs on here.

Only Moxey shows he can play Football.
This game was the final straw for me.

Anyway see you at Taunton on Boxing day next year.

If any of you think we are staying up open your eyes.

The club won't die. But at this rate we are going to disappear into Devon and Exeter leagues within 5 years.
I tend to agree with this. I’m not sure it’s dawned on some what a poor side this is. I’ve never seen a team give so many chances to the opposition game after game. I think we are lucky we have 10 points and aren’t further adrift.

Clearly the state of the squad is not all GJ’s fault but he seems completely immune from criticism from some. Just because some of us criticise the management it doesn’t make us any less loyal supporters. I can’t think of many clubs that would tolerate the shambles that has been this season.
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by CourtierGull »

I think the management deserve the criticism they’re getting, I think our injuries haven’t helped the situation but after the last few seasons we should of been aware of this. I would rather focus on the positives so far and in Jarvis we have a very good target man. Mcgavin is a good footballer who looks shot of confidence and I also think wyatt has proven to be a decent player.
I feel bad for andrews, he scored a good amount for aldershot last year and has played all season injured until it’s got too bad and now he needs surgery.
I think we’ve put together an OK squad, a mix of good and bad ability with some very high potential, but we’ve seriously shot ourselves in the foot by not signing up any wingers. This is not the worst squad we’ve had, but a lot of things aren’t working and now the confidence has been shot in players it’s going to be very hard to turn that around.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

CourtierGull wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 01:28 I think the management deserve the criticism they’re getting, I think our injuries haven’t helped the situation but after the last few seasons we should of been aware of this. I would rather focus on the positives so far and in Jarvis we have a very good target man. Mcgavin is a good footballer who looks shot of confidence and I also think wyatt has proven to be a decent player.
I feel bad for andrews, he scored a good amount for aldershot last year and has played all season injured until it’s got too bad and now he needs surgery.
I think we’ve put together an OK squad, a mix of good and bad ability with some very high potential, but we’ve seriously shot ourselves in the foot by not signing up any wingers. This is not the worst squad we’ve had, but a lot of things aren’t working and now the confidence has been shot in players it’s going to be very hard to turn that around.
Don't agree with your main conclusion - it cannot be an OK squad if you have no wingers, no pace in midfield and defenders who (with the exception of Moxey) can't defend. Even if you are right about McGavin, he is a luxury player at best in such a squad given that he is so one-paced and consistently outplayed by more energetic oppositions.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

19 games in, so what has changed ? Loanees of Ellis, Ness, Wearne, Smith (who seems the odd man out at the moment) and De Silva have addded
to the very weak recruitments who have in general been very very disappointing.
Injuries obviously have not helped Moxey, Martin, Wyatt especially. Forget Andrews who could not hit a cows ass with a banjo and personally I would get shot of..he has been a total disaster. We all know some signings work and some don't for various reasons. Players cannot settle in the area, are homesick, or maybe don't get on with others.
The 'Marquee signings' I assume
Marshall......Mr Yellow /Red card nothing changes with him and will never make a centre back at this level far too slow.
McGavin... A huge disappointment after a good pre season, been found out, far too slow
Hanson.....think he has brought his bottom of the NL table mind with him, not what we want or need
Jarvis.....I am undecided about him. Good hold up play and seems to be trying. However look at his wikipaedia goal record and it will reveal
his abysmal goalscoring record. A great hat-trick v Aldershot but that was when there best defender had gone off injured. He might come good
but needs to be sharpening up his shooting skills, and judging his jumps better for sure.
Goodwin....runs all day, I like him..... but for a young striker who has played every game. I feel sorry for him
Lovett...a great back up, no complaints
Crowe....never a defender as he cannot defend
Evans...just coming good and then an unfortunate injury
Donnellan...seems to be improving, but what position is his best ?

The Old Boys

Hall has had his day, legs have gone. GJ just showing his loyalty to him unfortunately......
Lapslie...love him, will run all day, never gives up...epitomizes Torquay United end product questionable.

This is the squad that Johnson has , his recruits, his Marquee signings.

P 19 W 3 D 5 L 11 GD -18 PTS 14 This is not acceptable , it has become a total embarrassment.
Halstead...got over his pre-season v Plymouth disaster. confidence at the moment must be zero !
Moxey...need him back asap with Ellis in the 6 pointers will be crucial