Torquay United v Chelmsford City - PP 2/4/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 18:51 The only game off in the entire national league system, and the only full time club in our division. Shows how poor our facilities are - and yes, I do understand that our ground has been hammered by Truro too, but still, we are a fully professional team that should be able to get a game of football on.
Scott - it may be sunny in Guernsey with the palm trees gently swaying in the breeze, but it is absolutely hissing it down here as correctly forecast 24 hours ago, with amber warnings. It's nothing to do with ground sharing with Truro. There is no way the game would have been played. Very tough on Chelmsford coming all the way from Essex to 'sunny Devon'.

I see that WSM are playing tonight. I reckon this rain will reach north Somerset at about 9 pm. Hopefully, they will be 3 - 0 up and the game has to be abandoned. Not that I'm vindictive or anything ........ ;-)
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I nearly came down for this. Very glad I didn’t. Feel for Chelmsford fans but in reality and hour or two earlier wouldn’t have made a huge difference to them as they have been on their way by lunchtime.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I believe the subject of the pitch has been well discussed in previous threads and the various reasons why its so poor. But in the absence of a game it will undoubtedly get more coverage over the next 48 hours. I am more concerned that no one could find a ref before 6pm tonight to make a decision on the ground. Its shows us in a very unprofessional light and worse in my mind shows disrespect for our visiting team and their supporters
I realise nothing can be done to the ground that involves spending more than a fiver before the summer, but if we intend to play the same, fast attacking football that we have been doing this season, then for next season in the conference we need to do a lot better job with the pitch.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Night Mare are back to their par. Worked their socks of on Saturday but not able to repeat that tonight by the look of it.
Linostan
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Jamie Read

Post by Linostan »

To Ricchinns. In 99% of matches at this level of football the only person who can call off a match for whatever reason is either the match referee or a local fully qualified referee called in by the club earlier. The reason for this is that it prevents a club calling of a match on the pretence that the pitch could be unplayable when perhaps they have a good few injured or perhaps suspended players and don’t really want it played. Advice not only from the weather people and also the groundsman would have indicated that a referee, if available, should have been called in earlier.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Dazza wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 20:48 Night Mare are back to their par. Worked their socks of on Saturday but not able to repeat that tonight by the look of it.
To be fair, Wealdstone haven’t lost in their last 10 matches.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

grockle wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 19:42 Much as I like Plainmoor, does the ever recurring postponement of matches make an increasingly good case for moving to a new stadium?
Not if a new pitch has the same drainage issues.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 21:14 Not if a new pitch has the same drainage issues.
Don't think the pitch would be a reason to move. Understand the bench might have a effect on it but I'm sure that be solved or at least compromised in some way. Sure groud share didn't help either
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

So important to be at it from the start and get the first goal against these teams (Weston) if we had I think we would have put 10 past them
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

It's now pretty obvious what Saturday took out of Weston. Both games against us they raised their game very considerably.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Bunch of cnuts !!~
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Rjc70 wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 21:12 To be fair, Wealdstone haven’t lost in their last 10 matches.
0 - 5. Such a shame their match wasn't abandoned ....... :whistle:
TUFC__12
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Connor Evans

Post by TUFC__12 »

Linostan wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 19:09 In the majority of cases it is only the referee who can postpone a match due to the pitch being unplayable - ie waterlogged,snow, ice and the like. Referees and the assistants normally arrive for this class of match around two hours before kick off and one of the first things they do is walk the pitch for any problems there might be with it irrespective of the weather.
So it seems as though the officials have arrived and done there job correctly. The club should have realised that there might be a problem with the pitch earlier and called in a local qualified class 1referee for advice and to give an earlier decision. As to the suggestion of no referee being available they would have a list of qualified officials or got in touch with Devon FA to find one earlier of which I feel that one could have been found. So in conclusion I would say that TUFC have been a bit lax in the late postponement of the match.
Just looked on https://www.indyonline.co.uk/football/t ... tponement/
and it said they weren’t able to call in any local officials.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Some of you need to get over yourselves I'm afraid.
The right decision was made however late it may have been, if we'd played tonight & inadvertently came unstuck again there would've been uproar on this forum amongst others.
Why are we feeling sorry for the opposition ? These things happen unfortunately & as it's transpired the weather God's have put paid to a game being played tonight.
Like I say it's unfortunate but we've broken no rules as I see it, we've not lost in farcical conditions as could've happened & surely we need to give ourselves the best advantage we can at home ?
We move on to the next one.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Any thoughts on when the rearranged match might be? 3rd time lucky