Hartlepool United V Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Emails were sent out stating the news about contact with Osborne, check your spam folder/junk box just in case ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 23:45 Actually Andy, TUST have put on Facebook tonight that he has agreed to meet with TUST "In the next few weeks."
This is following a hour long phone call between Michael Thomas and Osborne.
I agreed to go to Homebase with the wife once......
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Why the he'll would Harrop be taking the junior training at Seale Hayne instead of being at an important game where the club were being relegated. Can't believe it!!!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Whilst the death knell was sounding for our club yesterday, Macclesfield were clinching promotion back to the football league with FOUR players who have played for us in recent seasons - Tyrone Marsh, Nathan Blissett, Callum Evans (on loan earlier this season and looked a good prospect) and Jared Hodgkiss (on loan at the end of last season and more than did his bit to keep us in the National League). All four played the full 90 minutes and Marsh scored one of the goals in their 2 - 0 win at Eastleigh. I doubt that even the most fervent Silkmen fan would have bet on them being league champions! Their manager, John Askey, has done a fantastic job on a shoestring budget - sometimes a 'hotch potch' group of players come together as a successful team as appears to have happened at Macclesfield.

Askey is a former player who became the team coach and then manager. But that's not the point I wish to make. My point is that he has been manager since 2013 - 5 years. We have to allow a manager time to develop his side and not demand instant success. Whether Nico would have done that, I don't know. Whether Owers is the man to do it, I don't know. But there has to be continuity. How many managers have we had since 2013 ??
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

As much as I hate to say it I do think we need continuity regarding the manager to try and turn things round but Owers in many situations would have been sacked long before now however it's either getting rid of him now or hoping with continuity he will turn things round.
Still have that feeling that he is part of the so called 5 yr plan to eradicate Torquay as a football club.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

tomogull wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 16:15 Whilst the death knell was sounding for our club yesterday, Macclesfield were clinching promotion back to the football league with FOUR players who have played for us in recent seasons - Tyrone Marsh, Nathan Blissett, Callum Evans (on loan earlier this season and looked a good prospect) and Jared Hodgkiss (on loan at the end of last season and more than did his bit to keep us in the National League). All four played the full 90 minutes and Marsh scored one of the goals in their 2 - 0 win at Eastleigh. I doubt that even the most fervent Silkmen fan would have bet on them being league champions! Their manager, John Askey, has done a fantastic job on a shoestring budget - sometimes a 'hotch potch' group of players come together as a successful team as appears to have happened at Macclesfield.

Askey is a former player who became the team coach and then manager. But that's not the point I wish to make. My point is that he has been manager since 2013 - 5 years. We have to allow a manager time to develop his side and not demand instant success. Whether Nico would have done that, I don't know. Whether Owers is the man to do it, I don't know. But there has to be continuity. How many managers have we had since 2013 ??
Nicho would have finished mid table this season had he been provided the same budget owers has been provided, of course there are many who disagree. There is absolutely no way in this world Nicho would have allowed this to happen despite coming close.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

It's all very well saying give the manager time but Askey was never in danger of leading Macclesfield into the NLN. Nicholson nearly got us relegated and Owers actually did get us relegated.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

greb46 wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 16:29
Still have that feeling that he is part of the so called 5 yr plan to eradicate Torquay as a football club.
That's a feeling I keep eradicating from my mind but it keeps on springing back. I think it down to my lack of trust in Osborne/Owers relationship. My trust in them is like a broken mirror, I try to repair it, but no matter what I always see the cracks.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

notnow wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 16:31 Nicho would have finished mid table this season had he been provided the same budget owers has been provided, of course there are many who disagree. There is absolutely no way in this world Nicho would have allowed this to happen despite coming close.
Pointless and tiresome. He was given a better budget than last season and managed to pull together a worse squad than the season before. Nothing that he did at the start of this season can back up what you say.

How many of his signings were regular starters cone the end?????

They had to increase the budget because squad he'd assembled wasn't fit for purpose
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Can't really compare Nicho to Askey. Askey started his coaching career as an assistant, before being promoted to first team manager, that reign lasted 27 games losing 12 of them, before Brian Horton came to the club and Askey once again became no 2, Askey spent some time as youth team manager also I believe, before becoming first manager again in 2013.

The point is, between spells in charge, Askey picked up an awful lot of experience, which seems to have served him well. I have never doubted Nicho has the makings of a very good manager, I just wish he goes into a club as a coach, or no2 , and learns his trade first.
Formerly known as forevertufc