The defunct youth system

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
howarddevoto
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: David Graham

The defunct youth system

Post by howarddevoto »

Surely a good youth system is vital, however from experience I know for example that if you were good but clever, at 16 you had a choice to make. Stay on at grammar school (or westlands etc) or join tufc. Given the prospects of the club it was no choice. Who knows if one of those lads could have made a difference either on the pitch or to the coffers? But I guess its just another example of poor leadership.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This was discussed to death back in the summer, the youth set up was never self funding as some posted, it did have a cost to the club, to run, think we all understood there was no choice but to close and the reasons why.

Personally don't think there's anything to be gained, by reopening old wounds, being honest.
Formerly known as forevertufc
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

it's one of those that's great to have if you have plenty of money coming in and can afford to write the youth system off as a loss 9 years out of every 10. We're not in that position, so as much as it'd be nice to see a strong youth development scheme at TUFC, it's not going to happen until such time as the finances are more stable.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

happytorq wrote:it's one of those that's great to have if you have plenty of money coming in and can afford to write the youth system off as a loss 9 years out of every 10. We're not in that position, so as much as it'd be nice to see a strong youth development scheme at TUFC, it's not going to happen until such time as the finances are more stable.

What we should be doing is feeding off of Plymouth, Exeter Bristol City,Rovers and Yeovil if Nicholson has any sense he would use his contacts to let him know which players these clubs will be off loading.

The problem at the moment the first team is very young and he'll be looking for experience this year. He may be looking to games like last night to find a gem but there was nothing there showing last night and a couple of the young pros. were trying to hard.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Don't know much about Bristol City, the problem with some of those clubs arcadia, they've got hopelessly small squads themselves. Spoke to a mate at work who's an Argyle fan and said I wonder if there's way Plymouth could help us with loan players, his answer was, we've got a small squad who we going to loan you other than youth players.

Same applies to Exeter, Yeovil have an injury list a mile long , who have Rovers got they'll be willing to let go that could improve our squad, any released players will want paying, we're not going to get much for £200 week, have to work with and improve what we've got.
Formerly known as forevertufc
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

We can't keep looking for more players to bring in, this revolving door in the dressing room and training pitch is only going to have a negative effect. There comes a point where we say enough. We have a coaching staff and squad of players and they need to knuckle down, work out what there strengths are and start playing to them.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote:Don't know much about Bristol City, the problem with some of those clubs arcadia, they've got hopelessly small squads themselves. Spoke to a mate at work who's an Argyle fan and said I wonder if there's way Plymouth could help us with loan players, his answer was, we've got a small squad who we going to loan you other than youth players.

Same applies to Exeter, Yeovil have an injury list a mile long , who have Rovers got they'll be willing to let go that could improve our squad, any released players will want paying, we're not going to get much for £200 week, have to work with and improve what we've got.
I dont mean now, I'm looking at the end of the season I know one ex-Torquay player who is coaching at Bristol City, Mansell is at Rovers who is in contact with Nicho. it's just feeding off of others untill we can get back on our feet.

I agree about working on what we've got now!
I may be optimistic but I feel that after the last couple of games if we get a win on Sunday some belief will come to the squad. We have stopped the goals going in now I hope and we now need someone to put the ball into the net. Marsh should start on Sunday and with Fisher fit it could be a bit better. We do need the crowd behind the players again though. Fisher was trying to hard to impress on Wednesday night but his pace is a threat.

I can see that Nicholson has done a lot of work in improving things and hope the players can keep improving. I do think that the pre-match warm up is to long though.