Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

Many variants to this solution, its quite complex, there also in some areas may be HR issues with replacing previous employees, everyone is looking for a quick fix but I agree with Southampton gull, putting the foundations in place is key to the future of the club.
Southampton Gull wrote:
It's a darned sight better than having someone who just wants a free ride every week. The simple facts are that the money to do what everyone can see is needed simply isn't there right now. I would far rather see my team struggling every week knowing we're fulfilling our commitments than see us sign players we can't afford and end up going bust.

You aren't wrong in identifying areas the team could be improved upon, funding that just isn't possible so the manager works with what he has. It isn't nice for anyone who supports the club right now but these guys came in and have done their best to turn around the tide of debt we were totting up while keeping the club solvent. I'm sure they are busy looking at ways of securing investment but current finances make improving the team impossible without players leaving, Every fan has a choice to give up or to soldier on to keep the club going.
moneylife
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by moneylife »

but why isnt there any money? Its been like this for long enough now. I thought relegated clubs got all sorts of parachute payments and extra funding. So how come all these teams with 300 attendances and no parachute payments can stomp us 3-0 4-0 every week!!
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

relegated clubs do get parachute payments....not for very long though !Currently, clubs coming down from L 2 get 50 % of a basic award, designed to meet wage demands from players on L2 wages potentially half-way through a two-year deal.From next season, there are better awards, covering two seasons. Whilst better for relegated clubs, that will put teams like us at a disadvantage. A lot of the teams you're referring to in some cases have established revenue streams & can afford better wages; or in other cases have a 'better' location in being able to draw players from surrounding better-off clubs. Doesn't excuse all of it though; we're suffering now from historically 'bad' decisions in reducing alternative revenue streams, or else in not developing them before.Still can't change our location, though there are people on here who advocate basing the players in the Midlands for better training grounds, more access to 'better' players; only travelling to Torquay for home games, & being better-placed for away trips.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
moneylife
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by moneylife »

so what 'established revenue streams' are there and WHY ARENT torquay already in possession of these since we are historically are fairly big club (inverted commas lol) . I hate life that millionnaires all over will buy smaller clubs yet TUFC gets left behind. Its sad that seems to me Im just hoping for someone megamoney to come along. Football is ruined for me, if the money has to come from external industry revenue (eg. oil tycoon, or dubai sheiikh or something !) then whats the point
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by tommyg »

I'm assuming one of the reasons we're so skint is because we're still paying or have paid off Hargreaves and Hodges. The board should never have put them on gardening leave if money was so tight. We couldn't have done any worse with Hargreaves at the helm and now have a manager who is less qualified and even more out of his depth. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if there's no money in the pot then the first decision you make after taking over the club isn't to get rid of a manager and his assistant who both still have a year left on their contracts.

I'm not saying Hargreaves would have been my choice to lead the club this season, but if it meant we would be more financially stable and had more money to improve the playing squad then that's what should have happened.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

tommyg wrote:I'm assuming one of the reasons we're so skint is because we're still paying or have paid off Hargreaves and Hodges. The board should never have put them on gardening leave if money was so tight. We couldn't have done any worse with Hargreaves at the helm and now have a manager who is less qualified and even more out of his depth. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if there's no money in the pot then the first decision you make after taking over the club isn't to get rid of a manager and his assistant who both still have a year left on their contracts.

I'm not saying Hargreaves would have been my choice to lead the club this season, but if it meant we would be more financially stable and had more money to improve the playing squad then that's what should have happened.

I think they probably fell into the "lets do something to please the fans from the start" trap.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
moneylife
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by moneylife »

tommyg wrote:I'm assuming one of the reasons we're so skint is because we're still paying or have paid off Hargreaves and Hodges. The board should never have put them on gardening leave if money was so tight. We couldn't have done any worse with Hargreaves at the helm and now have a manager who is less qualified and even more out of his depth. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if there's no money in the pot then the first decision you make after taking over the club isn't to get rid of a manager and his assistant who both still have a year left on their contracts.

Fully agree with that. Hargeaves was coaching over in bournemouth and had times at other big clubs. Wed have been ok with him and he had a point to prove after unsuccessful start and hed of had little to no excuses. But i like nico and hope he can string a good run together soon to lift our spirits
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

LWhat's gone has gone.
Hargreaves was always a bit of a loose cannon.
Cox is a bit of a one trick pony. Play three centre backs to provide cover for the least mobile one who has a long throw that can create chances to score. Pretty dour stuff to watch.
Nicholson is more likely to encourage football that is pleasing to the eye, we had a good spell during the second half on Saturday and the only way to gain experience is to do the job.
There are plenty of experienced managers who have failed. Gary Johnson got Yeovil to the championship but couldn't save them when they went into free fall. Paul Sturrock isn't doing very well either. Gary Johnson couldn't save Cheltenham from relegation and whilst they are top at the moment they appear to have thrown shedl loads of money on 16? new signings so if they don't go up presumably they are likely to be in deep .......
Give Nico a chance. He is working his socks off doing two jobs, managing and playing. He is having to play because we need experience and he is the only 30 something in the team and our squad has been decimated by injuries and suspensions. The only other left back option is Butler and if we play him at full back we lose a midfield player who is comfortable on the left wing.
Despite the awful defending on Saturday I thought there were some positives for the manager and coach to work on. Lavercombe needs to be more assertive with his defence. Gerring generally played safe by putting the ball out when in doubt and with full time training he should provide decent cover for our two centre halves. Durrell Berry is a competent right back, Courtenay Richards worked his socks off and the two subs livened things up when they came on. I am sure that when we can get all our best players on the pitch at the same time, things will gel and we will start to get some results.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Jack wrote:LWhat's gone has gone.
Hargreaves was always a bit of a loose cannon.
Cox is a bit of a one trick pony. Play three centre backs to provide cover for the least mobile one who has a long throw that can create chances to score. Pretty dour stuff to watch.
Nicholson is more likely to encourage football that is pleasing to the eye, we had a good spell during the second half on Saturday and the only way to gain experience is to do the job.
There are plenty of experienced managers who have failed. Gary Johnson got Yeovil to the championship but couldn't save them when they went into free fall. Paul Sturrock isn't doing very well either. Gary Johnson couldn't save Cheltenham from relegation and whilst they are top at the moment they appear to have thrown shedl loads of money on 16? new signings so if they don't go up presumably they are likely to be in deep .......
Give Nico a chance. He is working his socks off doing two jobs, managing and playing. He is having to play because we need experience and he is the only 30 something in the team and our squad has been decimated by injuries and suspensions. The only other left back option is Butler and if we play him at full back we lose a midfield player who is comfortable on the left wing.
Despite the awful defending on Saturday I thought there were some positives for the manager and coach to work on. Lavercombe needs to be more assertive with his defence. Gerring generally played safe by putting the ball out when in doubt and with full time training he should provide decent cover for our two centre halves. Durrell Berry is a competent right back, Courtenay Richards worked his socks off and the two subs livened things up when they came on. I am sure that when we can get all our best players on the pitch at the same time, things will gel and we will start to get some results.
:clap: :clap: That's a great post, Jack. Fully agree with most of it (not sure about Gerring - he's not such a competent player as Jamie Richards who we released and is now doing well for Truro). We're all feeling pretty flat after Saturday's defeat so a more positive post is welcome. We were much better in the second half and with Smith and. hopefully, Carmichael returning on Saturday, plus Wright and Fairhurst starting, we should look a better side.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote: :clap: :clap: That's a great post, Jack. Fully agree with most of it (not sure about Gerring - he's not such a competent player as Jamie Richards who we released and is now doing well for Truro). We're all feeling pretty flat after Saturday's defeat so a more positive post is welcome. We were much better in the second half and with Smith and. hopefully, Carmichael returning on Saturday, plus Wright and Fairhurst starting, we should look a better side.
Agree with most.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

[quote="arcadia" :clap: :clap: That's a great post, Jack. Fully agree with most of it (not sure about Gerring - he's not such a competent player as Jamie Richards who we released and is now doing well for Truro). We're all feeling pretty flat after Saturday's defeat so a more positive post is welcome. We were much better in the second half and with Smith and. hopefully, Carmichael returning on Saturday, plus Wright and Fairhurst starting, we should look a better side.[/quote]

Agree with most.[/quote]

The thing is, we all knew from the start that this was going to be a tough season but it's turning out to be worse than we thought. All the football know-alls down the pub who would probably have difficulty to even find Plainmoor have written us off already. There is still more than half the season to go and a lot can happen in that time. We mad diehards have got to stay positive and support the Board, Kevin Nicholson and the team because, quite frankly, that's all we've got.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

aggrey_25 wrote:Thats me done.... I CANNOT believe the believe the board have done this. 129 or whatever applicants and the best of them is someone who has never managed in the game, this is the final nail in the coffin for TUFC and it will be conference south football next year or closure.

said it all along and ive been proven right, IF we lose tonight to chesham it really is an utter shambles.