Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I love Kev Nic and I have a feeling that he'll do ok down there. I think the first thing to focus on is to stop leaking goals and as a defensive minded ex-player he will have a fair idea of how to do this. I wish him the best of luck and really hope he can pull this off.

As for the moaners. Well what did you actually expect? I'm not sure if you are aware or not but the club hasn't got a pot to piss in. Like Royalgull says, he's local, he's cheap and he's got potential. It was only ever going to be him IMO. My concern is that why come out and brag about having 129 applicants when it could be argued that they already had made up their minds? (IMO). If this is the case then it's the same spin and games that we saw under previous regimes. Just my opinion and i'm probably total wrong but it's just a bit odd that's all. But overall a common sense if risky appointment. I also agree with DJ Gull. Mr Breed should just come out and tell all the moaners and critics to piss off and go and play with theirselves. These people have a club to support because of Mr Breed and others and they should bloody well remember that.

As for those criticising Mr Breed. You've just embarrassed yourself more than Mr Breed and his spelling errors. Who actually gives a shit if he can spell? So long as he can be honest with the fans, communicate and engage with them on a regular basis, run a football club to be solvent and competitive going forward and treat fans with respect, consideration and courtesy then what else matters? He doesn't even have to wear a suit. He can wear a bloody onesie for me so long as he can fulfil the above criteria!! It's about the person inside and their ability, not how many GCSE's they have.

I'm pleased for Kevin as I liked him very much as a player and so long as he has no hidden ego like useless suited and booted CH then he'll have a chance. No disrespect but there are 4 sides in the division a lot worse than TUFC and it would be harder to actually get relegated then stay up regardless of experience or not. At some point the players have to step up too and take some responsibility. If they do and KN gets the basics right then no problems at all.

I think it's a common sense and positive appointment when you consider everything collectively. If the club goes down then it will probably have done so regardless of WHO the manager was.

At least the replacement is early on in the season and there is plenty of time to get things straightened out and organised.

Best of luck Kev and you now have the perfect opportunity to cement yourself in TUFC folklore once and for all, a chance that your predecessor threw away. Take it man.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 28 Sep 2015, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Yorkieandy wrote:I love Kev Nic and I have a feeling that he'll do ok down there. I think the first thing to focus on is to stop leaking goals and as a defensive minded ex-player he will have a fair idea of how to do this. I wish him the best of luck and really hope he can pull this off.

As for the moaners. Well what did you actually expect? I'm not sure if you are aware or not but the club hasn't got a pot to piss in. Like Royalgull says, he's local, he's cheap and he's got potential. It was only ever going to be him IMO. My concern is that why come out and brag about having 129 applicants when it could be argued that they already had made up their minds? (IMO). If this is the case then it's the same spin and games that we saw under previous regimes. Just my opinion and i'm probably total wrong but it's just a bit odd that's all. But overall a common sense if risky appointment. I also agree with DJ Gull. Mr Breed should just come out and tell all the moaners and critics to piss off and go and play with theirselves. These people have a club to support because of Mr Breed and others and they should f**king well remember that. Idiots.

As for those criticising Mr Breed. You've just embarrassed yourself more than Mr Breed and his spelling errors. Who actually gives a sh*t if he can spell? So long as he can be honest with the fans, communicate and engage with them on a regular basis, run a football club to be solvent and competitive going forward and treat fans with respect, consideration and courtesy then what else matters? He doesn't even have to wear a suit. He can wear a bloody onesie for me so long as he can fulfil the above criteria!! It's about the person inside and their ability, not how many GCSE's they have.

I'm pleased for Kevin as I liked him very much as a player and so long as he has no hidden ego like useless suited and booted CH then he'll have a chance. No disrespect but there are 4 sides in the division a lot worse than TUFC and it would be harder to actually get relegated then stay up regardless of experience or not. At some point the players have to step up too and take some responsibility. If they do and KN gets the basics right then no problems at all.

I think it's a common sense and positive appointment when you consider everything collectively. If the club goes down then it will probably have done so regardless of WHO the manager was.

At least the replacement is early on in the season and there is plenty of time to get things straightened out and organised.

Best of luck Kev and you now have the perfect opportunity to cement yourself in TUFC folklore once and for all, a chance that your predecessor threw away. Take it man.
:goodpost: :bow: :clap:
Well said sir!!!
notexactlyshakespe
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Larry Baxter

Post by notexactlyshakespe »

Congratulations to Nicho on his appointment. As with the hiring of Chris Hargreaves, he will need much guidance and support in negotiating the complexities of the transfer market, man-management and finance: I wonder where that is going to come from given that the club appears to be in the hands of enthusiastic fans, rather than people with experience of running a professional football club.
One possible source of expertise could be Colin Lee who had already recruited Nicholson for a part-time coaching role with his operation at Chelsea. The problem with some of the loudest among the posters on this forum is that they are so sensitive (paranoid?) that they are too ready to kick up a s**tstorm at the mention of anyone who has had success at the club in the past and moved on. They appear to think that the Paul Buckles of this world, for example, have snubbed them personally when they seek to build their professional careers. This anger seems to have been a recent development; I don't remember such hostility towards Frank O'Farrell and others who moved on to great things. Brucie's outrage at Nicholson's appointment is even less appropriate in view of the fact that Kevin is seeking to develop his career at the club Brucie purports to love.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Nico is bringing in an assistant-Shaun North?
quantumleaper
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by quantumleaper »

Good luck Nico, sincerely hope you prove to be a success. And if you don't, you already have experience of the next level down ...
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Well, I'm certainly not jumping for joy at this appointment, and didn't when I first heard about it a few days ago - but I will certainly still be supporting the team and Nico will get my full support whilst ramming my doubts back at me hopefully.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

Can he do it?
Can he turn it around?
Will gates improve enough to allow the club to stay solvent for the remainder of the season or will the playing budget need cutting further and some loan or non-contract players let go?
Can he play, manage and scout for players?

Of all these questions it's the one about gates that is probably most important as it affects the others.

I totally get why the club went down the "former player who lives locally" player/manager route. It's cheap. He can afford to be paid less (if he's being paid at all) than if he had a job further afield but is there just too much to do?
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Well, I'm certainly not jumping for joy at this appointment, and didn't when I first heard about it a few days ago - but I will certainly still be supporting the team and Nico* will get my full support whilst ramming my doubts back at me hopefully.
*and North!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Oh noes, we could have got Steve Evans!

http://www.allsportsnews.co.uk/news/cha ... -rotherham
TUST member 203
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Well well well.

I and most of you don't know the financial aspect of this and most others might have wanted more money who knows, I don't.

Im not ecstatic about it I can tell you!! yes he was a good player, a very good player for us actually. The sulking bit towards the end of his time with us left a stain for me.

But look, I cant name the last 10 managers for the club (I will leave that for others who have better memories) BUT...... OUT OF THE LAST 10 MANAGERS WHO HAS BEEN GOOD?

I would say Buckle, Ling and Leroy. Even these 3 had plenty of fans who didn't like them for one reason or another, perhaps Lery didn't, cant remember.

In the end its all a bloody gamble! THIS IS PROBABLY THE CHEAPEST GAMBLE! We shall see.

Altthough Im underwhelmed, mmmmmm which might be a good thing actually, I will still support the club
TUST MEMBER
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Neal wrote:The sulking bit towards the end of his time with us left a stain for me.
To be fair, I think that was largely down to Knill inexplicably freezing him out of the club.
TUST member 203
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

:lol:
Heritage gull wrote:Anyone know the length of Nico's "contract"?

I hope they have not accepted him because he did not want a contract but now it's done lets get behind him and support the chairmans decision.

Added in 12 minutes 23 seconds:
forevertufc wrote:

Not having a go at you here. But as I've said elsewhere I'm a more highly qualified coach than Sir Alex Ferguson, I'm not fit to tie his shoe laces, Paul Buckle had 5 years of management experience and the UFEA PRO badge, Bristol Rovers, Luton Town and Cheltenham, I rest my case, all managers have to start somewhere, lets give him a chance, which I know you/we all, will.
I've been trying to tell you that for months. :lol:
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

A silly appointment ? A lazy appointment ? An ill-informed appointment ? A cheap appointment ?

Who knows, but I am so disappointed that the man who I was told refused to travel with the team to Accrington Stanley when told he would be sitting on the bench is now in charge.

I suppose I have to give him credit for 1 thing, this is the 4th time I have been told he has applied for the post (or the 5th time, if you include the time him and his friend went to Bill Philips and to ask for Knills removal) so he has got stamina if nothing else

I really do hope he proves me wrong but I am not looking forward to football at Plainmoor from now on.....
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I really do hope he proves me wrong but I am not looking forward to football at Plainmoor from now on.....

Yeah it was fine till this..............
sevilla66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by sevilla66 »

My initial thoughts are not printable but, given history of recent appointments [Martin Ling being the exception], this is no surprise.

Hopefully he is not on a contract - but if he is, surely not one requiring more than 1 month's notice.

Will continue attending at Plainmoor because I want the club to survive but ...........