Bring back nicho

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DaveysBarTab
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: none right now

Post by DaveysBarTab »

Unfortunatly we cant bring back the old nicho. We need to move on, get Ives tied up. Its crucial for the future of the clubs finances. Nicho would be a decent guy to have around as a coach perhaps but im sure the club will be cutting some costs. Def not as a player though, was poor in his last 2 seasons with us.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Thank God Hargreaves has shown a little bit of common sense in this matter and slammed the door shut. Just over a year ago most supporters who dont wear the rose tints couldnt wait to see the back of Nicho as he was clearly not up to it for some time.

Nothing against him personally, he seems a nice enough bloke but no thanks. As others have expressed accross a few threads when former players names get brought up, we dont want anyone coming back as we really need to move forward and it is normally never the same when a player returns to a former club. To be honest in recent times there hasnt been one player I have been bothered about when they have left and there is no-one I would be keen to see return, possibly with exceptions of Olejnik and O'Kane, but there is zero chance of that happening.

Oh and by the way, for crying out loud I wish people would stop throwing the "legend" tag around so much. He is not a "legend", quite a good player, stayed for a while, gave his best, BUT NOT A BLOODY "LEGEND"! :@
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

thank gawd for that !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by leetufc »

chunkygull wrote:Thank God Hargreaves has shown a little bit of common sense in this matter and slammed the door shut. Just over a year ago most supporters who dont wear the rose tints couldnt wait to see the back of Nicho as he was clearly not up to it for some time.

Nothing against him personally, he seems a nice enough bloke but no thanks. As others have expressed accross a few threads when former players names get brought up, we dont want anyone coming back as we really need to move forward and it is normally never the same when a player returns to a former club. To be honest in recent times there hasnt been one player I have been bothered about when they have left and there is no-one I would be keen to see return, possibly with exceptions of Olejnik and O'Kane, but there is zero chance of that happening.

Oh and by the way, for crying out loud I wish people would stop throwing the "legend" tag around so much. He is not a "legend", quite a good player, stayed for a while, gave his best, BUT NOT A BLOODY "LEGEND"! :@
How would you define a 'legend'? I agree it can be a term banded around too much, but for Nicholson I stand by my comment.

For me three aspects which could make someone a club legend are; long service, what they helped the club achieved and how good they were in their role.

Long service - 273 league games over 7 seasons

Helped the club achieve - one promotion, 3 playoffs appearances (although one relegation too, to be fair to the argument!)

Good in their role - for the majority an excellent player at left back, helped assist numerous goals and chances via set pieces when at his best, and achieved a place in the PFA team of the year in 2012.

That's why he is a Torquay legend for me (and it is a personal opinion) - and I will say it whenever I want.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

leetufc wrote: and I will say it whenever I want.
Oh, you're so forceful :) Mind you do tend to agree with, whether legend is the right tag or not, Nicho's service to our club warrants recognition, but do agree it's right decision not to bring him back.
Formerly known as forevertufc
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

A club/football legend should be someone who has been, has done or acheived very special things, preferably consistently. Sometimes it could be a player who has had a very, very special bond with the fans over a long period of time.

We have had a few that might come close to that criteria, but I struggle to think of anyone who really, really deserves that acolade in my time, most definitely no players in the last 10 years. I know there is a lot of love for a few players from our conference promotion team, perhaps I dont give them enough credit, but I never really consider any of them much in my thoughts when asked about players I rate etc, probably because we were non-league.

Yes Nicho was quite a good player at times, he had his moments, some decent set pieces and assists, he was here a while, one really good season and a few quite good ones for sure, but none of these things make a real legend. Legends are really special.

Brian McGlinchy who was left back just a few years before Nicho was a much better player and better in that position, never hear him being called a legend. I think a few get long service and legend too intertwined.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by leetufc »

I think long service does play a significant part in a player becoming a club legend. As you say yourself a legend is a player who does special things consistently or builds up a special relationship with the fans. In order to do this it often takes a player a number of years to achieve this, hence why long serving players tend to get mentioned. A club our size, particularly in modern day football, will find it difficult to hold a really good player for a long time. Players such as O'Kane and Olejnik would probably easily become club 'legends' if they had stayed for a number of seasons. Their ability was far greater than some of those around them or players over the last 10 years. I loved both players, but I would not call either a 'legend'.

Kevin Hill though is widely regarded as a legend, yet he was arguably not a 'special' player, but he did achieve a deep relationship with the fans for his service, attitude and hard work.

McGlinchey was probably better player than Nicho, but he didn't have as many special moments as Nicho or achieve as much at the club - one season promotion, the next relegation. The fact Nicho played at a lower level should not be counted against him. We were in non-league and we should celebrate the achievements of those players as much as those who played higher up.

I have only been watching since 97 so I haven't seen some of the players who older members widely regard as legends - maybe that would change my view. From the players I have seen play, Nicho stands out for me as someone who helped the club achieve a number of good, enjoyable seasons. I hold him with special affection for what we achieved whilst he was here.

I also think club and football legend differ. Football legends have to be special players - Pele, Maradona, Messi. Club legends though are different - it's more about what they give to a club than pure ability. It's difficult for Nicho to be a 'special' player as a left back. Naturally they are less likely to be involved in defining moments, points that stick in the memory for fans. This should not count against him when being considered as a 'legend'.