Retained list

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I thought CH's comments about the players was honest and spot on. And I cant argue with those decisions, however Im slightly surprised about Ben Harding, ok, I havnt seen him in the last few games so he has obviously improved but he would have to play for the same wages as a standard conference player for me. Others can comment better on whether he is worth a contract.

I think Toby will be off so good to luck to him. Downes will probably score against us next season, but there we go.
TUST MEMBER
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Just wanted to wish Ricey all the best for the future and Downes too. Both with their faults but players I felt gave their all in most games in the relegation season. I wish them all the best. Harding sadly will probably mug off some other club next season whilst Cameron and Cruise should really be down the job club. It's just a shame that contracts have to be honoured even after it has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that a pair of blindfolded giraffes could do just as good a job for a fraction of the salary. That way players like this with zero talent and zero end product could be released a lot earlier and not suffocate the club with their wages for the next year and a half. There have been many more for Torquay these past 2 or 3 years too. One particular player I can think of who was so bad that the only bloke who was prepared to give him another chance once his contract expired was Alan Knill!! :rofl: :rofl: Worked out well that one. :lol: :lol:

The Bosman ruling was huge but maybe something should be done about players who give absolutely nothing for the duration of their contracts yet still have to be paid? Daft idea maybe with no way of proving what is considered tangible and not but in many teams across many leagues, players are just taking the piss and effectively getting paid for being shit. In any other walk of life if you are shit at your job you go. Anyway, best of luck Martin and Aaron!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

So, with the exception of Ajala (following on from MacDonald a couple of weeks back) none of the senior pros who are out of contract have an offer on the table. Given our alarming fall from contention from October onwards, I suppose that it is no great surprise that so many have been released.

Like many others on here it seems, I have to feel sorry for Aaron Downes, for all his limitations (mainly his lack of pace) he has in my opinion, always given everything in every game I have ever seen him play and has always "put his body on the line". I genuinely don't think he could have tried any harder - it is also a great shame as unlike perhaps the likes of Pearce, Cameron, Chapell etc I get the impression that he has really enjoyed living in the area and I am sure he would have jumped at another contract if it had been an option ~ provided it was sensible money of course.

At the other end of the scale, the other one I feel particularly sorry for is young Mickey Parcell. What a difference 12 months can make! From the excitement last summer of getting his first pro contract to the huge disappointment of never being given a chance to get anywhere near the first team, despite seemingly doing a sterling effort while out on loan with Bideford - and now being released without ever kicking a ball in anger for us.

As for the rest of them, no great surprises really, whilst Pearce and Cameron (at least towards the end) were stand out performers in League 2 last season, they simply haven't been consistent enough performers this season, despite being given plenty of opportunities.

Tonge and Cruise have both been far too injury prone and neither have been particularly great as defensive full backs either, both are better going forward than backwards! Tonge, in particular, given his pedigree and the wages he must have been on, has simply not been of a good enough standard.

Martin Rice seems to have made the decision for Chris Hargreaves an easy one, it has a mutual feel to it anyway. I think he has probably come to realise that in his late twenties he is never going to establish himself as a first choice keeper at this level, let alone the Football League. Without the emergence of young Dan Lavercombe, I feel the best he could have hoped for for next season was another 1 year deal, but as very much a number two next season. Time for him to go back to earning (probably on much better £££s!) a living doing something else and combining it with goalkeeping further down the pyramid.

Benyon's release was inevitable, but it is nevertheless frightening how badly his career has gone downhill since that £125k move to Swindon. I really don't know where and at what level (if any) his football future lies now.

Ofori-Achiempong certainly showed some promise and I feel could well have earnt another deal next year but for the tragic turn of events which came about for him and his family in January. I wish him all the best for the future and hope he can help his family move on with their lives - being closer to home will I am sure help him in this.

It will be interesting to see whether any of the "maybes" do actually get a new deal eventually. If I had to put money on it, I think McQuilkin, Dawson and Yeoman are most likely to hang around to see what we might be able to offer - but have a feeling that Harding and Guegan will end up trying their luck elsewhere.

You have to say that if Yeoman is still here next year it will be pretty amazing given the number of new contracts he has secured under numerous Managers without ever establishing himself as a first teamer! His sense of timing, in always notching a decent goal just as the season is winding down is amazing! Not only that, but he isn't a kid anymore and really should be a lot closer to a starting berth in the first team (particularly given the level we are now at - which I feel realistically is probably as high as he is ever likely to reach) than he has been for much of this season.
Last edited by CP Gull on 27 Apr 2015, 20:51, edited 5 times in total.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

CP Gull wrote:So, with the exception of Ajala (following on from MacDonald a couple of weeks back) none of the senior pros who are out of contract have an offer on the table. Given our alarming fall from contention from October onwards, I suppose that it is no great surprise that so many have been released.

I have to feel sorry for Aaron Downes, for all his limitations (mainly his lack of pace) he has in my opinion, always given everything in every game I have ever seen him play and has always "put his body on the line". I genuinely don't think he could have tried any harder - it is also a shame as unlike the likes of Pearce, Cameron, Chapell etc I genuinely think he has enjoyed living in the area and I am sure he would have jumped at another contract if it had been an option, provided it was sensible money of course.

At the other end of the scale, the other one I feel particularly sort for is young Mickey Parcell. What a difference 12 months can make! From the excitement last summer of getting his first pro contract to the huge disappointment of never being given a chance to get anywhere near the first team, despite seemingly doing a sterling effort while out on loan with Bideford - and now being released without ever kicking a ball for us.

It will be interesting to see whether any of the "maybes" do actually get a new deal eventually. If I had to put money on it, I think McQuilkin, Dawson and Yeoman are most likely to hang around to see what we might be able to offer - but have a feeling that Harding and Guegan will end up trying their luck elsewhere. You have to say that if Yeoman is still here next year it will be pretty amazing given the number of new contracts he has secured under numerous Managers without ever establishing himself as a first teamer! His sense of timing, in always notching a decent goal just as the season is winding down is amazing! Not only that, but he isn't a kid anymore and really should be closer to the first team than hem has been for much of this season.
:goodpost: pretty good analysis. As you state how many 1 year contracts can yeoman be given. Always seems to score at the end of the season. Hindsight says get rid. And let's start afresh
Lucy
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Downes seems genuinely upset to be leaving as well. You get the sense that with some of these guys they don't give a toss but not him.
Genuinely sad to be leaving Torquay Utd FC. I would have loved to have got the club back into the league, where I feel it belongs.
Everyone connected to the club, from the staff, players to the loyal supporters have been absolutely brilliant to me and my wife, Michelle.
We are very grateful to everyone who has supported us over the past 3 seasons and we thank you. I wish #tufc all the best for the future.
Whatever the future holds for me and Shell, I am looking forward to a new challenge.
I hope to see all of you back at the LWS (plainmoor) in the near future.
Thank you
Downesy
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams

Post by Eirik »

With Cameron gone the Norway Gulls will be sponsoring a new player next season. Wonder who will wear shirt nr 11. There have been a few since Kevin Hill.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Personally gutted to see Downes go.
Downes and MacDonald with 2 good players either side of them would have been more than enough for us next year at the back.

I hope Ajala signs. Heard rumours he wants to leave but I'm really hoping he doesn't. I feel he will be better next year. His pace is frightening.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Like others, I'm sorry that Aaron Downes hasn't been offered a contract for next season. Yes, he has made a few mistakes and struggles against quick opponents but he has had to play in front of a hesitant keeper for most of the season which hasn't helped any of the defenders. Since young Dan made his debut, Downes and the other defenders have played much better. Downes was well respected at Chesterfield when he was there and I'd like to have seen him given the captain's job next season. I accept that Krystan Pearce wants out, but is that because he hasn't been given many opportunities this season? Since Angus' injury, Pearce has played better and better and shown some of the form which made him player of the season last season. Downes and Pearce are good central defenders at this level and it's going to be interesting to see who Hargreaves brings in to replace them. Both will have no problems getting fixed up with other clubs and my best wishes to them.

I would have liked to have seen Dawson and McQuilkin offered contracts, and maybe even Gueguen, although I accept that Hargreaves has no way of knowing what his budget will be for next season. As for Harding, two or three good games in two seasons - I hope we can offer him a contract he can refuse. In my view, he has shown little commitment for the club so good luck to whatever club takes him on. He reminds me of one of Bill Shankly's quotes - "He looks a better player than he really is". As for Ash Yeoman - well, he must be the longest serving player at the club but still not established himself in the team. He's a hard worker but gets bullied off the ball far too easily. I feel sorry for him because I think if he'd come up through the Exeter youth set up, he would have received better coaching and developed into a more complete player. For me, this was his make or break season. Time to move on. Tom Cruise came to us following a long-term serious injury whilst at Arsenal and he's been out for most of this season. I just wonder if this is the end of Tom's professional football career. Good luck to both him and Ashley for whatever lies ahead for them in 2015/16.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Rumours too that Yeovil (Paul Sturrock) are keen on Ajala.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

happytorq wrote:Downes seems genuinely upset to be leaving as well. You get the sense that with some of these guys they don't give a toss but not him.

Aaron Downes, good luck and thank you. Very sorry to see him go. A proper pro!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Hargreaves says that we can't afford to pay Parcell because he's not ready to go into the team immediately, yet he is still thinking of offering a deal to Yeoman who isn't ready after 6 years of trying.

For me this money would be better spent on Parcell who still has the potential to improve.

I think we would all love Yeoman to be a success but surely he's had enough last chances now?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

Jerry wrote:Hargreaves says that we can't afford to pay Parcell because he's not ready to go into the team immediately, yet he is still thinking of offering a deal to Yeoman who isn't ready after 6 years of trying.

For me this money would be better spent on Parcell who still has the potential to improve.

I think we would all love Yeoman to be a success but surely he's had enough last chances now?
It's about time Chris Hargreaves was able to deliver Parcell.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Retained list makes sense, although, like others, I wouldn't have minded had Downes remained.

Not sure I see the point in retaining - possibly trying to retain - the services of Harding and Yeoman, especially when their value has been minimal, particularly if you compare their performances and effort to Downes, who is released.

I would like Ajala to remain but I suppose he was playing for Welling a year ago and has he done enough to convince Football League managers he is ready for that level? Regular public lashings from his manager may have helped him decide to go elsewhere.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

One other possible consideration, when you look at the list of possible "maybes" for new deals next year is that rather than the decision just being dictated by budgetary uncertainties alone - it could be the case, if the deal for new ownership is as imminent as has been suggested, that the new owners, whilst happy for Chris Hargreaves to go about his business as far as releasing players is concerned may have made it known that they don't want new contracts being issued - other than to the likes of Ajala ( where if nothing else we are simply protecting our asset given the interest of another club(s) ) until such time as the takeover is completed.

Let's face it, assuming the deal does go ahead, it will be the new owners paying the wages of any players being offered new deals, and as far as that is concerned we simply don't know whether they will retain the services of the management team or replace them. Whilst they might be ok with the "firing" going on they would presumably be less happy with any "hiring" going on if they have it in their minds to recruit a new Manager. At the moment, there doesn't appear to be any decision makers around at TQ1 to make these sort of calls anyway with the likes of Bill Phillips rumoured to be in the West Indies and Kelvin Thomas ( still?) in Florida and Thea and the rest effectively gone.

Whilst Chris Hargreaves suggests that he cannot offer new deals to the likes of McQuilkin, Dawson, Yeoman, Harding and Guegan - because he doesn't know what sort of money he can offer them - it may be more accurate in reality that he knows he can't offer them anything yet as he himself doesn't know whether he will be in the job in the next few weeks.
Last edited by CP Gull on 27 Apr 2015, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Poor decision to release Downes. Since Young has been sidelined Downes has captained a below par team to 3 wins and a draw.
To add, if any of us were questioned as to who is mostly likely to get his head onto a corner or set piece it would be Arron ....... hands Downes!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: