Chris Hargreaves services?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Should any new owners dispense with Chris Hargreaves services ?

Poll ended at 03 May 2015, 06:46

Yes, Start afresh with a new man.
39%
No, Keep him and "see how it goes"
61%

Total votes: 66

Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Chris Hargreaves services?

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Nothing pains me more than admitting that the Chris Hargreaves experiment hasn't worked.
No after any arguments here and I appreciate he's been working under difficult circumstances. But for me he just hasn't cut it or got what it takes, looking at both the Barnet and Bristol Rovers players yesterday, and several other teams this season, they just looked fitter sharper and had more idea of what was expected of them. Several of our players have suprised me with their lack of fitness this season. In my opnion not enough has been done in training to prepair for the next match.

Should any new owners retain his services or start afresh ?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Perhaps if the training ground was fit for purpose we might have achieved better fitness levels. Just another in a long list of things that hampered the day to day efforts of the manager. Its ok saying alternative facilities could be used but on a daily basis thats impractical.

I think any judgement of the qualities of our manager are premature. The time to judge him will be after he's had a chance to recruit and shape his own team. I'm more than prepared to get behind him again next season but will be looking for a significant improvement over this season.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Southampton Gull wrote:Perhaps if the training ground was fit for purpose we might have achieved better fitness levels. Just another in a long list of things that hampered the day to day efforts of the manager. Its ok saying alternative facilities could be used but on a daily basis thats impractical.

I think any judgement of the qualities of our manager are premature. The time to judge him will be after he's had a chance to recruit and shape his own team. I'm more than prepared to get behind him again next season but will be looking for a significant improvement over this season.
:goodpost:

As frustrating as it's been the season, and while CH has undoubtedly made mistakes in terms of team selection and tactics, I can't help feeling that he's really been hampered by things going on behind the scenes that are out of his control. On balance, I think he should stay.
TUST member 203
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I would start afresh with a new person. Hargreaves has been poor from start. IMO there was enough in the squad to keep us in the league. I also believe that the squad was capable of play offs this season.
There are many other conference and league teams who have training facility difficulties similar to what we face on a daily basis. We have fallen well short again and I ve heard so many excuses this season its unbelievable.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Can you list all these "unbelievable excuses" ?

There is no doubt in my opinion that Greavsie has had many real problems to deal with, but he really wants to succeed. He isn't a quitter and has the strength of character required to battle on. The poor training ground is a constant challenge and the lack of funds ( which meant travelling up on the matchday ) are a hinder to the Manager.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

The key question is will the new owners have the money to consider that option. If they want to replace Hargreaves - and that would probably include Hodges too - then they are going to have to write two fat cheques. They may decide instead to use that money to increase the playing budget and keep Hargreaves in charge.

Unless the new owners already have someone lined up, the process of hiring a new manager could take a while and we'll be at a disadvantage in our recruitment drive for next season. Then there's the case of our current squad. Hargreaves is already releasing players which tells me that he expects to be here next season. Otherwise, surely he would be told by Thea/Kelvin not to tell any players whether or not they will be offered a new contract.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I can never understand impatient fans who call for a manager's sacking whenever he fails to achieve almost instant success in a season. Apart from the abilities of the manager, there are many other factors which can decide the success or failure of a team, a number of which have been present at Plainmoor in recent seasons and have been discussed on these forums. We're all hoping and expecting that these will be more favourable to the manager in his work next season, and that being so, CH should be given the chance to complete the vision he set out to achieve.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I just don't know with this. There are strong reasons for giving him another chance to build his own team, whilst there are plenty of strong reasons to think that it would probably be a waste of time.

What we do know are that the doubts that surround him, are within the club as well as supporters, so it just feels that he is on borrowed time and that the only reason he is here is because the club cannot afford to sack him and the limbo of ownership.

Do we trust him to recruit wisely?
Does he have the contacts to do so?
Does he have the tactical nous to outwit part-time pub teams?
Does he have the backing of supporters?
Does he have the backing of the players?
Does he have the backing of the club?

Some people would answer 'no' to all of those questions and if the majority of fans/directors/players thought so too, then he ought to move on. My answers to those questions would probably be 'don't know', as I don't feel I could say 'yes'.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

goodluckgull wrote:Can you list all these "unbelievable excuses" ?

There is no doubt in my opinion that Greavsie has had many real problems to deal with, but he really wants to succeed. He isn't a quitter and has the strength of character required to battle on. The poor training ground is a constant challenge and the lack of funds ( which meant travelling up on the matchday ) are a hinder to the Manager.
Lets take the very first game this season, away to Gateshead when we got spanked. CH stated that we did not have a Marcus Maddison! Then it was the first long road trip etc etc

It now looks like you have caught the excuse bug, training ground and lack of funds.

I wanted CH is be a success as much as everybody else. If I could see a glimmer of hope with his management skills then I would be the first to want more time.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

I think the telling point for me is the lack of improvement (or even worsening) of the more inexperienced members of the squad. No idea what they are coached in at training but it clearly isnt improving their ability to play.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

"Excuses" are trying to put the blame elsewhere. I don't agree that stating that a lack of an expensive fit quality player, a water logged training ground and lack of funds are excuses. To me they are real problems and I'm certain any Football Manager would say the same and not refer to them as "excuses".
If Greavsie had said we lost because my breakfast was cold or the Gateshead players smelt funny....that would be an unbelievable excuse !
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I cant think of one player that started in the squad who has improved this season.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Levis has improved
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Someone tell me a lower league manager that doesn't have to work under financial constraints or poor training facilities??
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

John Sheridan was appointed manager of Plymouth Argyle exactly twelve months before Chris Hargreaves became manager of Torquay United. If the demands of many Argyle fans had been met, Sheridan would have been sacked within half a season, within a year, and within halfway through this past season, yet two and a half seasons after he arrived at Home Park he has led them into the play-offs. And still there are Argyle supporters who are critical of Sheridan and the 'dour' season they have just witnessed. Some people are never happy unless they're whinging and complaining..

It seems there are similar fans at Plainmoor. Similar criticisms to the ones levelled against Hargreaves have been made of Sheridan since he arrived at Plymouth. But who's to say that Hargreaves will not pull off a similar success for the Gulls next season. If Sheridan had been sacked a year ago, Argyle may well not have made it to the play-offs this season. CH should be given the same chance, and supporters should give him and the team their full backing at least for another season. Of course, true supporters (as opposed to fair weather fans) will back the manager and the team through thick and thin, come what may, for as long as it takes..
Last edited by Gullscorer on 26 Apr 2015, 13:33, edited 2 times in total.