Thea Bristow to resign

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

She is wiping the debt and we will be debt free when she leaves. I don't think anybody can ever thank her enough for this. I cannot comprehend how generous that is and how much it should be appreciated. The word legend is used too much these days but her and Paul are exactly that:

As a fan I am humbled at the decision to take such a big (and further) financial hit in the process of leaving the club and in doing this she could very well have saved us from slipping into non-existence.

Thank you Thea - you are truly a TUFC great.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

OnTheContrary wrote:Thea stepping down might be a blessing in disguise for the club. We have been far to reliant of one person. She had the money, but she has been blatantly incompetent as a chairman - a fact she did point out herself when she took charge.

It is ridiculous to say Thea is not to blame for the situation we are. A professional football club is not a toy with ehich to learn how to run a business, and I blame Thea for not recognising that. During her "learning process" the club has gone from bad to utter crap, on and off the pitch.

I have nothing against Thea as a person, she is a lovely lady, but she has been way out of her depth and should have taken the consequences of that years ago.

I would gladly take someone like Mike Bateson back - someone with proven business knowhow and balls to make tough decisions to keep the club afloat. I'll be happy to be frustrated with the chairman and board as long as the club is safe.
That is a mean-minded posting. You forget that Thea didn't want the chairman's post. When the previous failure of a chairman (forget his name - i'm getting old !!) suddenly stood down, nobody else had the balls to step in. She has always said she didn't want to be chairman and I believe that when Alex Rowe resigned from the Board (for whatever reason) she was left with no support, hence her plea to Kelvin Thomas for help. She has pledged to leave the club debt-free as Richinns has posted (great post, by the way - we should all be saying Amen to that) and I suspect we would now be in the same league as Bideford if Paul & Thea hadn't bankrolled the consortium that saved us from Roberts clutches. What Torquay United owes Paul and Thea Bristow can never be over stated and as Richinns posted - Thea, you are truly a TUFC great.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Interesting and comforting interview with Kelvin Thomas on the OS. He's already had a call from somebody showing interest. Whilst he's still with us I feel confident he will ensure the club transfers into the right hands. Maybe even his?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Thea is leaving but will continue to fund the club until June 30th.

So any money taken by the club between now and then will reduce her eventual losses.

So I fully expect all the "missing" fans to be back at Plainmoor for the rest of the season.

If she can donate 3 million quid surely you can stump up £20 a game to reduce her outlay.

Time to put your money where your mouth is, from the comments on here I expect 3,000 there next Tuesday.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I'd like to wish Thea and her family all the best for the future.
Formerly known as forevertufc
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I'm afraid the days of 3000 crowds are long gone. Incidentally, when I started supporting United in 1963 the herald always referred to 'the faithful four thousand.'
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

It would be good if all our fans made some vocal noise of thanks to Thea in all our remaining home games. "There's only one Thea Bristow......"
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by KeithMalone »

Surely 25th April home to Macclesfield has to be Thea Bristow day whereby she is presented with a gift on the pitch so everyone can say Thank You. The debt of gratitude we owe this woman as fans of this club is so great that it must not be ignored
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

A huge thank you as a fan to Thea Bristow and her Family for such amazing generosity.

£3 million is a huge amount to effectively write off and demonstrates her love for the Club.

The very fact that the new owner will start with a clean slate is very positive and should help Kelvin Thomas to find the right people to take over.

Coming from a finance background I think Thea has been badly let down by whoever was supposed to be controlling the purse strings.

Football is a business and any successful business needs strict financial control at all times. I have long suspected financial control was something

many of the Directors knew nothing about.

£3 million just proves things have got to change and quickly.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I'm not so sure that the message from OntheContrary is actual mean minded at all, There is actually some truth in what he says. Thea has indeed left the club in probably its worst ever position. If she has spent 3 million you have got to wonder why we are currently 15th in the Conference. It has been a cock up of monumental proportions. Thea was never fit to be chairperson in the first place.
Of course none of that means that she has not been astonishinly generous. However with a fortune of 15 million invested wisely the notion that she has been left penniless because of her association with Torquay United is nowhere near the truth.
Jerry suggesting that fans should just turn up for the rest of the season is just ridiculous. The management and playing staff do not deserve ANY support whatsoever. They are a complete and utter embarassment.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

A sad day indeed for Torquay United. Sections of the board should hang their heads in shame at their actions or lack of them during Thea's tenure as Chairman. If any of them come out now and put money in, I hope everyone lets them know exactly what we think of them. Grrrr.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:I'm not so sure that the message from OntheContrary is actual mean minded at all, There is actually some truth in what he says. Thea has indeed left the club in probably its worst ever position. If she has spent 3 million you have got to wonder why we are currently 15th in the Conference. It has been a cock up of monumental proportions. Thea was never fit to be chairperson in the first place.
Of course none of that means that she has not been astonishinly generous. However with a fortune of 15 million invested wisely the notion that she has been left penniless because of her association with Torquay United is nowhere near the truth.
Jerry suggesting that fans should just turn up for the rest of the season is just ridiculous. The management and playing staff do not deserve ANY support whatsoever. They are a complete and utter embarassment.
The point is - she never wanted the chairman's job. She said herself she had no idea how to run a football club. She was forced into it when Simon Baker who is an ardent United fan but a disaster as chairman stood down and nobody was prepared to step in to take on the job. We may be currently 15th in the Conference but without what the Bristows have done for this club, you'd probably have been able to watch local derbies between Bideford and Torquay this season, Brucie ! ;-)
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I feel almost relieved that Thea is stepping down because she deserves so much better than this and I hope she can walk away from TUFC and enjoy time with her family at long last.

We are extremely lucky that she continued to fund the club after Paul passed away. Others wouldn't have got involved.

I hope that tosspot Baker buggers off now and takes his cringeworthy baseball cap with him......he looked a right prick on Tuesday.

Thanks for everything Thea, you're a wonderful woman and are welcome on the Popside anytime :)
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

BBC Sport reporting this morning quoting Kelvin Thomas who says there are parties interested in investing into the club. Perhaps some good news to come?