Danny Stevens to return?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Gullscorer wrote:From the Herald Express: 'Stevens, 27, who first signed for the Gulls back in 2007 but was released by former boss Alan Knill last May, has agreed a contract initially to the end of the season, after impressing Hargreaves in an extended trial.'

Note: the manager gave Stevens an extended trial; Stevens impressed the manager in the trial, enough to be given a contract.

The previous two managers were by all accounts likeable men but Hargreaves is arguably the most articulate, intelligent, motivating and socially skilled football boss to work at Plainmoor since the days of Paul Buckle who, whatever fans' thought of him personally following his move to Bristol Rovers, was one of our most successful managers.

Hargreaves is certainly no fool.

Obviously you would never have given Stevens the time of day. But I'm quite happy to trust in the manager's judgement for the foreseeable future.
i refer you to the last line in my post above yours.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: i refer you to the last line in my post above yours.
And your point is...?? :-/
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Gullscorer wrote: And your point is...?? :-/

well obviously if hargreaves wasnt here neither would stevens.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

Looking forward to Danny's first goal for the Gulls to silence his critics ! Now then, will that be before Billy Bodin's first goal............? :-/ :)
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

It's always good when a club LEGEND comes back! Welcome back :)
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I really despair of you lot.
It's just like the scientists study into what makes women happy. They found it was NOTHING.
You all called for Chris Hargreaves to be made manager. You all said he would do better than anyone else. So for goodness sake. Let him do his job. You all know how hard it is.
None of you are really qualified to do his job, so it's unlikely you know better than he does. Lay off until we have played a couple of months or so down the line.
If he's the best in all your eyes then he knows what he is doing. I believe he does. But it seems you all know better. but could you do his job anyway?
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Gloster, you keep reporting threads to us Mods citing freedom of speech yet here you are trying to stop people saying what they want.

Confused, of Southampton.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MH91 »

It is beyond me where all the hate and aggression towards Stevens comes from, especially from Torquay fans. It should not be like that...loyal fans should support their players and the manager's decisions especially in the case where we are right now - new manager for which everybody asked. Let him do his job...As for Danny, he played 6 years at Plainmoor, scores some important goals and always gave his best. He was vital part of our promotion team and of the Ling's first year team. I repeat myself, but it is unclear to me how/why are people so aggressive and negative towards him..One more thing - it is a short term deal..probably at almost no expence..and no guarantee that he will play...some people just enjoy slagging others off.....
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

MH91 wrote:It is beyond me where all the hate and aggression towards Stevens comes from, especially from Torquay fans. It should not be like that...loyal fans should support their players and the manager's decisions especially in the case where we are right now - new manager for which everybody asked. Let him do his job...As for Danny, he played 6 years at Plainmoor, scores some important goals and always gave his best. He was vital part of our promotion team and of the Ling's first year team. I repeat myself, but it is unclear to me how/why are people so aggressive and negative towards him..One more thing - it is a short term deal..probably at almost no expence..and no guarantee that he will play...some people just enjoy slagging others off.....
:goodpost:
Lucy
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

How can so many people who support such a small club all be incapable of seeing the difference between opinion and belief that one knows best/lack of support?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ferrarilover wrote:How can so many people who support such a small club all be incapable of seeing the difference between opinion and belief that one knows best/lack of support?
Matt.
Er, could you rephrase that phrase please Matt, so that it's understandable to us less intellectually gifted gits..?? :-/
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Glostergull wrote:I really despair of you lot.
It's just like the scientists study into what makes women happy. They found it was NOTHING.
You all called for Chris Hargreaves to be made manager. You all said he would do better than anyone else. So for goodness sake. Let him do his job. You all know how hard it is.
None of you are really qualified to do his job, so it's unlikely you know better than he does. Lay off until we have played a couple of months or so down the line.
If he's the best in all your eyes then he knows what he is doing. I believe he does. But it seems you all know better. but could you do his job anyway?
in response gloster....

no i didnt call for him to be manager.

qualified to do his job? depends which badges he has.

and hes not the best in all of our eyes.

as for stevens, well have a look at a few posts about his "unsuitability" according to some of us.......

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

MH91 wrote:It is beyond me where all the hate and aggression towards Stevens comes from, especially from Torquay fans. It should not be like that...loyal fans should support their players and the manager's decisions especially in the case where we are right now - new manager for which everybody asked. Let him do his job...As for Danny, he played 6 years at Plainmoor, scores some important goals and always gave his best. He was vital part of our promotion team and of the Ling's first year team. I repeat myself, but it is unclear to me how/why are people so aggressive and negative towards him..One more thing - it is a short term deal..probably at almost no expence..and no guarantee that he will play...some people just enjoy slagging others off.....
so what?

can you not read?

6 years here ? well thats fine, then but not now.

promotion? how many years ago?

negative? one big reason hes not had a club since he left here for gods sake.

hope thats easy enough to understand.

TUST Member 468

Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I'm afraid I see this as a backward step by the club as Danny failed to contribute anything on so many occasions for the club. He can't head the ball, he can't tackle and he gets knocked off the ball easily.

His only attribute would be that he can be skillful and tricky to play against on firm ground when the sun is shining. Sadly, it's January and traditionally pitches cut up rough at this time of year.

I would imagine he's been bought as an impact sub but to be honest, I'd rather we'd saved on the wages. I can't see him playing a major part in our season.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Burnhamgull wrote:I'm afraid I see this as a backward step by the club as Danny failed to contribute anything on so many occasions for the club. He can't head the ball, he can't tackle and he gets knocked off the ball easily.

His only attribute would be that he can be skillful and tricky to play against on firm ground when the sun is shining. Sadly, it's January and traditionally pitches cut up rough at this time of year.

I would imagine he's been bought as an impact sub but to be honest, I'd rather we'd saved on the wages. I can't see him playing a major part in our season.

:goodpost:

another voice of reason.

TUST Member 468