Pre-Season Friendlies

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
GazTheGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: ...

Post by GazTheGull »

the Taunton friendly states a "Torquay United XI" so presume could be youth players + fringe players or maybe even legends?
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

GazTheGull wrote:the Taunton friendly states a "Torquay United XI" so presume could be youth players + fringe players or maybe even legends?
It'll be a mix of youths, ressies and probably a couple of Trialists mainly - perhaps one or two first teamers but certainly won't be legends!
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

A match against Bayer Leverkusen. Great idea Stefano ! Hope Mr Candy sees this !!

:goodpost:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

It would be good to get one against Southampton as they are the biggest team that are nearest to us.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

Or Cardiff
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Anyone know the last time Torquay left the South West for any pre-season games?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Anyone know the last time Torquay left the South West for any pre-season games?
Don O'Riordan once took us on a (brief) tour of Ireland in the mid 90s and if memory serves me right it was part funded by fans being invited to go on tour with them (wished I'd gone as I reckon it would have been a good "craic" as they say). Anyone on here who actually went???
The Farmers Friend
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by The Farmers Friend »

Might well be wrong, but I think there were two trips to Ireland; the first being a one-off visit to Don O'Riordan's old club in Dublin, Cherry Orchard, followed the next year by the tour that included a revisit to Cherry Orchard, a game against Bray Wanderers and another club whose name escapes me. Got the programmes at home - the Bray Wanderers one being the pick of the bunch. I don't know Ireland very well but I gather that despite the bucolic-sounding name, Cherry Orchard are located in one of the grimmest corners of Dublin.

Happy to be corrected on any of the above - my memory has been both fried and pickled over the years...

There was also a tournament in Jersey (late-90s Hodges era?) that involved us and a few mainland teams. Think that was more of a youth event, though.

Less exotically, didn't we go to Wealdstone for a pre-season game in the late-70s or am I confusing that with something else?
Magpiegull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Magpiegull »

Another PSF arranged against Tiverton at Ladysmead on 23 July with a 1930 hrs KO
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Tivvy seem to be splashing the cash this close season including the signing of a player on Torquay's books last season. They are clear favourites to win their division.

All seems very fragile, after all they had several crowds under 100 last year and I just hope it does not end in tears
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

who did they sign from us then??
still keeping the faith
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Dean Stevens http://www.tivertontownfc.com/index.php
They also had Richard Hancox.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Notice on the SWP forum that we're down to play away at Bovey Tracey on the same night as Tivvy (23rd) and Stoke Gabriel on 25th. http://www.swpleague.co.uk/swpforum/vie ... php?t=4832 Fixture congestion so soon in the season?
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

MidDevon wrote:Tivvy seem to be splashing the cash this close season including the signing of a player on Torquay's books last season. They are clear favourites to win their division.

All seems very fragile, after all they had several crowds under 100 last year and I just hope it does not end in tears
Middy, you made it sound like someone TUFC had on the books last year... Dean was a local youngster who had a few games for us about 9 years ago, and was swiftly released.

A fellow TBGS alumnus I believe.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Salisbury-Away,20th July added now.Decent set of friendlies now for us to give a run-out to all the members of the squad :(