Ideas for Mr Candy

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

That's great, Thanks Andy.
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

ferrarilover wrote:If only those who played before weren't the only people on Earth...

Matt.
I don't think they are ... Scott Brehaut is from Guernsey!
mickyflash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by mickyflash »

Quick Q for Andy

Looking at the details about the club quiz on the website, this line:

"Tickets are available at £10 per person and a curry from our award-winning chef Callum Williams will be included in this prize"

is that a curry included within the £10 ticket or is it really part of the prize?
A Candy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by A Candy »

The curry is good ( but not that good that it is the prize) and is included in the £10 entry fee. Can I also draw to your attention "my quiz" which is on 5th July-£10 for a team of 5 people ( food available but extra) if you are in to quizzing.
Regards,
Andrew
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SkyBlueGull »

Andy/Mr Candy

Good to see you adopting some of the ideas mentioned in my first post.

I propose to be sorting out my exile ticket shortly.

One other idea I have had - probably for the exiled fan - is a whole Torquay Match weekend Experience - where a package is offered including a hotel stay, pre match meal and maybe a treat for the ladies -something like a spa/massage treatment. Potentially this could provide business for local hoteliers and get exile fans down more frequently as they could bring their partners down for a weekend break - when otherwise they may not come.

I know it would be easier to come down for a weekend if I could sell it to the BOSS that she would have an enjoyable weekend - with a little bit of football thrown in - well thats how I would sell it to her.
A Candy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by A Candy »

Thanks SkyBlueGull or can I call you Sky?
Very pleased to action some of your good ideas which I am very happy to report have been well received so far. I also like your latest idea and as time permits I will make enquirers of local hotels with the facilities you suggest. Should this be possible I do not wish to incur the wrath of Mrs SkyBlueGull and I will make it very clear that it was your idea!
Thanks again.
Andrew/Andy but not Mr Candy!
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SkyBlueGull »

"Thanks SkyBlueGull or can I call you Sky?
Very pleased to action some of your good ideas which I am very happy to report have been well received so far. I also like your latest idea and as time permits I will make enquirers of local hotels with the facilities you suggest. Should this be possible I do not wish to incur the wrath of Mrs SkyBlueGull and I will make it very clear that it was your idea!
Thanks again.
Andrew/Andy but not Mr Candy!"

Andy

I am sure that if you could persuade Manse or Poke to bring Mrs SkyBlueGull her early morning cup of coffee at the hotel on Sunday morning all would be forgiven!!!!!
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

This idea was suggested 3 years ago. Andrew, i assume you kept notes of our meeting in September when this was discussed again.
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SkyBlueGull »

Andrew

A couple more ideas - I am on a roll this weekend - it must be the anti-biotics I am on

1) I dont know what you call this but many years ago I attended a Coventry City event. It was a 3 course dinner and dance/disco but on every table there was a past or present player . ( I had Brian Burrows and his charming wife) . It proved very popular and tickets sold out in no time. From memory there was also an auction of various CCFC memorabilia signed by some of the legends with all proceeds from the auction going to a designated charity - no doubt Thea could choose.

Not sure it raised a lot of money for the club but it raised the profile of the club and integrated with the supporters - nothing would beat queing up at the bar say alongside David Graham or Rodney Jack.

Obviously if it could be accomodated at the clubs restaurant it would reduce the costs of hiring somewhere else.

2) Pre- match experience.
At the moment there isnt one - quite frustrating when you have driven down from Coventry and because the traffic has been better than expected you have an hour + to mooch around the ground. You can only spend so much time in the shop.

Now I have been to Southend where they had the "Cheeky Girls" and the Ricoh where they have a girls dance troupe. Surely we could do better than that and trawl some of the local talent to put on something before the game to keep the punters occupied and give such talent a chance to display their skills/talent.

Even - going back to point 1 - a 5 a side match over half the pitch involving past players/legends. Perhaps the ball used could be signed by the players and auctioned.

Also get a past player to do the cross bar challenge or some other form of challenge involving a football that we could all enjoy (at their expense)

3) Choose a local school and give them say 30 free tickets for a match ( maybe with a paying adult) - so that a whole class could go. Ok it doesnt make any money but it could develop an interest for potential supporters of the future.

4) Dedicate some matches to say Hospital Staff, Local police or members of the Armed Forces, and provide them with a batch of free tickets in recognition of the service they provide to the community.

1) 2) 3) and 4) are gestures with no making of money but it does if repeated give the club a positive impression in the community
A Candy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by A Candy »

Yes I did and will be happy to look at this again. As you know one of our colleagues looked in to the possibility but it was not progressed at the time. Since then a few things have changed including new relationships with 2 well known hotels.
Thank you Sky for the latest ideas which I will look at as time permits. Some aspects of some of these are already in the pipeline and if they reach fruition should be of help to spreading the word and enhancing the match day experience.
All the best.
Andrew
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SkyBlueGull »

Here is another idea

You can buy a "ticket" at the ground for £1

On that ticket you select whether if there is a penalty in the game ( the first one) whether it will be awarded to Torquay or the Opposition and whether it will be scored , saved or missed.

Basically 6 options

Plus you have a tie-breaker as to either how many corners and/or yellow cards were awarded.

If someone guesses it right they win or share the pot

If nobody wins the "pot" rolls over to the following match - where the same process - for tickets purchased at that second match applies.

Obviously the club take a cut but I could see this rolling over into quite a substantial prize. I am sure that if the "pot" grew to a few £ 000 's it would attract people to the game for a chance of winning.

That is unless you decide to market it outside of the ground at local newsagents.

Dont know whether this would be subject to lottery rules etc but it could be worth looking into.

Not sure what you would call it - need something catchy.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I noticed when I was at Morecambe that in their clubhouse they had betting slips for people to bet on the game. I don't know if this raised money for the club or not but perhaps it could be something extra in B&L?

We'd make a shedload whenever Bixie and Andy were in town anyway! :)
brisgull
New Signing
New Signing

Post by brisgull »

Hi Andy,
I live in Bristol (hence my name). Last season I was a season ticket holder but couldn't get to every home game so when Yellow membership was advertised I was delighted. However, about 3 weeks ago I emailed the club. No response. Last Tuesday I phoned. "Have you been sent a membership package? " The helpful man asked. I duly gave my address and explained I live 106 miles from Plainmoor so qualify for the membership. I week later and nothing has been received. I will phone again tomorrow but I have to say I am rather disappointed as I want to support the club but it isn't always easy. I will perservere but others may not. Can you apply some influence please?

Many thanks,

Mark
Bristol
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

I also e-mailed three weeks ago and have heard nothing. Had forgotten about it to be honest!

I also live in Bristol, I plan on going more often now I have my work situation sorted, I'll look you uo in the new season Mark, be good to cut travel costs!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I am in the same boat. When the Membership scheme was first announced I sent an email to the reception email address with my name and address etc as asked. That was about the time they said the club shop was closed so I gave it a while, but it must have been almost a month now and have had no reply, and had forgotten about it until this.

Guess we haven't sold too many Memberships then, based on this thread.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats