Is it on or off?!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Is it on or off?!

Post by Richinns »

The tone of this story fills me with dread!:
http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/t ... story.html

Although I am extremely nervous about the Gaming International takeover it appears to me that the club are fully committed to it and have been indicating for some time now that it was just a matter of 'when' not 'if'. So sure were they with this partnership that they have been heavily funded by the supposed incoming group - in order to pay the bills and supply a workable budget to Nicho for next season. Just like Argyle committed to developing Home Park in order to host World Cup games in 2018, it seems to me the club have put all their eggs in this takeover basket. The question needs to be asked where the club would be left if this did all fall through and why all of a sudden it is now at a 'make or break' stage? I suspect if it does go t1ts up then we will be very much (if not worse) in the state Argyle found themselves in when their best laid plans went down the toilet with money being owed all over the place and no capabilities of re-paying loans provided and capital owed. Truth is they had the security of being a football league club where we have none being outside the league pyramid.

For those saying they would rather the takeover fell through for the worries that GI bring to the table - well I think that the completion of the takeover and justification of the trust Phillips et al have placed in GI is our only hope of avoiding impending disaster.

I don't want to spread doom and gloom and (much like many of us have chosen to do post season) I have buried my head in the sand in the hope this all turns out favourably but I think it is now very clear that what is said on Monday at the AGM is critical and the lack of comment coming from the club over recent weeks does not help to ease any worries about this.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Well it depends!

Like it always does.

IF the money that has been received so far from GI is repayable then you are probably right. BUT... if the board agreed to that they are very naïve, even complacent, so lets hope not.

GI are either playing poker or also very naïve. If they really thought they could get a quick decision or commitment from a democratically elected council on such a big planning decision, well I question if these people really know how development and planning works in this country.

And I would NOT want any council to take short cuts on this as it not only affects the football club but the whole town.

Ive stated many times on here that I have very real doubts on GI's real objectives. IF they want a "Football club" then they can have one, ours is for sale obviously, but "maybe" will not involve a move from Plainmoor. So lets see IF they do want a football club OR NOT!
TUST MEMBER
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

There's nothing in that article to fill me with dread; merely relief that the matter may be drawing to a close. But it does leave me with a question: does the TUST own any shares in the club?
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

It's sounding to me like the deal between GI and the club is done and dusted and has been for some while. The time and the silence has been to give GI time to lobby local councilors about building a new ground and putting flats on plainmoor. I guess they would be worried about unhappy fans interfering and persuading the council to object. There are a lot of people who would rather remain at Plainmoor than become 'Stig Of The Dump'!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Any take over that takes this long is on a knife edge.

It needs to be sorted quickly.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

arcadia wrote:Any take over that takes this long is on a knife edge.

It needs to be sorted quickly.
Equally, I'm sure plenty of planning :clap: has hopefully been done to ensure this takeover is a success . These things do not happen over night. You never know, we may be thanking GI in the years to follow. The truth is we have a competitive squad to push on next season, let's give them a chance.
Lucy
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

IF the takeover goes ahead, in view of GI's track record, I hope David Phillips, Torbay Council, TUST, and we, the fans, insist that if GI wish to invest in a new stadium, it must be ready for use BEFORE Plainmoor is abandoned.
Kitrobin

Post by Kitrobin »

tomogull wrote:IF the takeover goes ahead, in view of GI's track record, I hope David Phillips, Torbay Council, TUST, and we, the fans, insist that if GI wish to invest in a new stadium, it must be ready for use BEFORE Plainmoor is abandoned.
This.

This is the safeguard that will solve a lot of problems. And will avoid the circumstances of Milton Keynes dog track and Swindon speedway stadium. Yes, you can do what you like with plainmoor IF we have a shiny new stadium already built.
Ottery gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Ottery gull »

Indeed, especially as GI haven't actually managed to develop/build a new stadium anywhere to date if my reading of the files post is correct. It really does beggar belief that Dave Phillips may have entered into a contract with this outfit without being assured, beforehand of a successful track record ( no pun intended) We shall find out soon it seems.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

not only a shiny new stadium built ready for us to use straight away but with running costs lower than we have now. and more chances to earn money from it. otherwise we should stay where we are. we know our costs at Plainmoor and can budget for it. we can afford Plainmoor. we can't afford a shiny new stadium with high running costs.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Glostergull wrote:not only a shiny new stadium built ready for us to use straight away but with running costs lower than we have now. and more chances to earn money from it. otherwise we should stay where we are. we know our costs at Plainmoor and can budget for it. we can afford Plainmoor. we can't afford a shiny new stadium with high running costs.
You will be lucky
TUST MEMBER
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Have heard on the grapevine that this is all off now, anyone got anymore info?
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Anyone win the lottery last night?
Attachments
2016-07-10-11-37-20--1563832649.jpeg
2016-07-10-11-37-20--1563832649.jpeg (10.02 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

dont know but seems peter masters is in line if they dont takeover.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

ROADRUNNER wrote:dont know but seems peter masters is in line if they dont takeover.
If the deal is off, then would masters if he took over be good for the club. Surely no disrespect to Truro, Torquay offer more potential. Again if off, Torbay council aren't satisfied with the intentions of GI.
Lucy