Torquay United v Southend United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

This was always going to be a tough one so I'm happy with the point, lets just hope we pick up a win on Tuesday.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

well it's not to bad a weekend for me. We get a draw and move on one place up. steady progress in the right direction. Danny Senda by all acounts played a blinder for Rovers in their 1-0 win. And Reuben Reid missed a sitter right at the death. Flippin eckkythump. Rovers win and keep a clean sheet. Cant remember the last time that happened. Chuffed to little apples am I with these two results. now to shut off the telly and hide under the covers for the rest of the weekend to avoid news of those who shall not be named. and they aint Exeter either lol
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Glostergull wrote:well it's not to bad a weekend for me. We get a draw and move on one place up. steady progress in the right direction. Danny Senda by all acounts played a blinder for Rovers in their 1-0 win. And Reuben Reid missed a sitter right at the death. Flippin eckkythump. Rovers win and keep a clean sheet. Cant remember the last time that happened. Chuffed to little apples am I with these two results. now to shut off the telly and hide under the covers for the rest of the weekend to avoid news of those who shall not be named. and they aint Exeter either lol
well ill be watching castleford v huddesfield from the super league on SS2 to take my mind of it! :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Bet you still know the score though.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Not a bad result to be fair.

Southend great form on the road, we're bound to be flagging a bit with the run of games we're on. By the reports I've heard we wern't at our best. We move up as high as we could have gone with the way the results went, and we are still handily placed. 8 points off second with a game in hand, still looking handy!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

HRG wrote:Bet you still know the score though.
bet i dont.

and dont care either. :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

The OS report gives us its verdict to today's game:

"For the most part, it was a poor match... the game descended into a messy affair... It was 45 minutes of football that will be happily consigned to the box marked, 'forgettable'... Buckle responded bravely to a dismal day... From absolutely nowhere, United scraped the opening goal... The closing act of a drama that took a long time to get going."

A bit different to how the radio described it. They thought it was great!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

the first half sounded desperate, nothing really happened. Spells in the 2nd half it livened up especially after the opening goal.
NA Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by NA Gull »

Not the best game, but certainly not the worse I have seen. First half pretty forgettable, but the second had some incidents to talk about. Robbo could have snatched all 3 points at the end but cleared off the line. A draw a fair result. if we can get something from Cheltenham then we will be on a fantastic run.
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Attendance : 2880. Not bad by our recent (poor) standards.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: bet i dont.

and dont care either. :@
:lol:
It's all over now, we can go back to our cheerful selves. But the hatred will continue to simmer quietly until the next time we have the misfortune to meet :)
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

gullsflyinghigh wrote:Attendance : 2880. Not bad by our recent (poor) standards.
A good turnout from Southend too, I think they brought 307.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Well here is my take on the game for anyone who is interested.

Southend were a very strong outfit and did not allow us to play our game. The state of the pitch didn't help either. The first half had little to commend it for either side but the second half was much better and we could have won but it would probably have been an unfair reflection of the balance of play.

We had rather fewer attempts on goal in this game and, with the exception of the goal, none were really threatening.

The crowd was a more respectable 2,880 helped by 307 from Southend but it was deathly quiet for most of the time.

The officials were OK.

My match ratings then:

Potter 7/10 Couldn't help their goal and was efficient in whatever he did. His distribution was excellent.
Mansell 7/10 Their goal came from his side so was partly to blame
Robbo 7/10 Did well to contain their strong front line
Branston eight/10 Battling display
LRT 7/10 Made some good challenges and pssing better than Tuesday. Got forward too.
O'Kane 5/10 Has really lost form of late - totally ineffectual
Oastler 8.5/10 Had a fine game - had to because Stanley was not at his best. My MOTM
Stanley 6/10 Made too many errors
Robinson 5/10 Another player who looked below par - alarming how quickly his talents seem to be disappearing
Zebs 7/10 Another energetic game - his stamina is amazing
Kee 7/10 Good to see him score again. This time it was a typical benyon goal

Nicho 7/10 Usual dependable self
Gilligan 6/10 No major impact today
Stevens 5/10 kept losing the ball but nearly won it at the end

Overall entertainment value 5/10 (3/10 first half, 7/10 second half)
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

Modgull wrote:Well here is my take on the game for anyone who is interested.

Southend were a very strong outfit and did not allow us to play our game. The state of the pitch didn't help either. The first half had little to commend it for either side but the second half was much better and we could have won but it would probably have been an unfair reflection of the balance of play.

We had rather fewer attempts on goal in this game and, with the exception of the goal, none were really threatening.

The crowd was a more respectable 2,880 helped by 307 from Southend but it was deathly quiet for most of the time.

The officials were OK.

My match ratings then:

Potter 7/10 Couldn't help their goal and was efficient in whatever he did. His distribution was excellent.
Mansell 7/10 Their goal came from his side so was partly to blame
Robbo 7/10 Did well to contain their strong front line
Branston eight/10 Battling display
LRT 7/10 Made some good challenges and pssing better than Tuesday. Got forward too.
O'Kane 5/10 Has really lost form of late - totally ineffectual
Oastler 8.5/10 Had a fine game - had to because Stanley was not at his best. My MOTM
Stanley 6/10 Made too many errors
Robinson 5/10 Another player who looked below par - alarming how quickly his talents seem to be disappearing
Zebs 7/10 Another energetic game - his stamina is amazing
Kee 7/10 Good to see him score again. This time it was a typical benyon goal

Nicho 7/10 Usual dependable self
Gilligan 6/10 No major impact today
Stevens 5/10 kept losing the ball but nearly won it at the end

Overall entertainment value 5/10 (3/10 first half, 7/10 second half)
Apart from a great goal line clearence to stop our winning extra time goal =Z
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Jeff wrote:Not a bad result to be fair.

Southend great form on the road, we're bound to be flagging a bit with the run of games we're on. By the reports I've heard we wern't at our best. We move up as high as we could have gone with the way the results went, and we are still handily placed. 8 points off second with a game in hand, still looking handy!

Agree Jeff, I felt the same after the match. The draw for me was a fair reflection of the game. The pitch didn't help our passing game with a number of our players not at their best because of it. Branston again was in inspired form and I do like his presence in the opposition box at corners. He will score soon if he continues to be up for corners. One header he had yesterday went a fraction over the bar. We almost mugged them at the death with the final kick but it wasn't to be.

Overall I wouldn't call it a poor performance, but it wan't a classic either.What separates sides who finish in the top seven from those who finish elsewhere, is the ability to drive on with determination in a stalemate to grind out the required result.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"