Is Hargreaves fit for purpose?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Is Hargreaves fit for purpose?

Post by Sesimbra »

I will admit right away that Chris Hargreaves appears to have put together a reasonable squad of players for the Conference given the limited funds available. This was borne out earlier when United reached the play-offs. BUT it is one thing to have a decent team in place and another to manage that squad.
Recently Hargreaves actions when it comes to management does give room for concern. I mention three instances:
(1) He praised and advertised to all and sundry the ability of your Ives when, in fact, United did not own the player and it appears he still has not signed professional terms. Surely it was better to keep this gem under wraps until he signed. Suggests NAIVETY
(2) He was upset that United played after all the other Conference matches and suggested we were at a disadvantage. That surely is nonsense. Managers tell their players not to concern themselves about other matches but to concentrate of their own match. All play the same number of matches. Suggests MAKING EXCUSES BEFORE A MATCH IS PLAYED.
(3) Most worrying of all. His inability to accept that he was partly responsible for the debacle last Saturday. It was in his hands to change his formation when it was obviously early on that it was not working. He keeps blaming his young team and saying they are on a steep learning curve. Perhaps CH should consider he is on the same learning curve as a manager, Suggests ARROGANCE
I hope his man-management and PR will improve otherwise promotion will be out of the question.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

We are at the right end of the table and I have seem nothing to suggest disunity in the dressing room. I would say yes, Hargreaves is fit for purpose and I am proud to have him as our manager.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Point (1) To be fair that's completely void in my opinion. It really does not matter whether Chris Hargreaves says anything in public about our best young players or if he choose to said nothing at all, we have to understand there is a very large scouting network with professional football, It's likely that Levi Ives was already being tracked before he left Ireland, it's almost certain he would have been spotted playing for our youth team, it's 100 % certain Levi Ives' name is and has been on the list of young players to watch of a number of clubs for some time before he played v Aldershot.

Point (2) Personally do not think that was excuse making by Chris Hargreaves at all, he has a very young squad at his disposal, I read that as a manager publicly trying to take some heat of his young charges, and fair play to CH on that score.

Point (3) Not going to argue on that one at all, a manager can't keep coming out in public saying I've got that wrong, he'll lose his job very quickly, but the occasional bit of honesty doesn't any harm, we're all knowledgeable football fans, but it didn't take a brain surgeon to work out Richards at centre back played a large par in Saturday's defeat, but of course maybe Chris Hargreaves does not want to go down the road of publicly putting the blame on one individual player for defeat, which would be understandable, so to admit his own error, would be in a way publicly saying we lost the game because of Richards, just thought.
Formerly known as forevertufc
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

I've seen some shite written on here but this is going to another level.
TUST No 278
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

In short - yes.

We are sat near the play offs, only six points off top spot with a game in hand. Quite a few fans were predicting doom and gloom before we kicked this season off given last seasons performances and the players we had on the squad.

CH has had to work on a tight budget and has brought in a few unknown quantities unproven at this or any level, as well as being slightly handicapped by having to use players from last season who he may not want but cannot shift on (high wages, not good enough etc).

We have hit a slight bump in the road after an excellent start to the campaign and all of sudden people are questioning him. Yes, we have had a couple of really bad performances where we should have done better (most teams do throughout the course of a season!), and some of Chris' comments may not have come across in the best manner, but he is a young coach in his first full season. He is going to make mistakes from time to time - the real issue is going to be further down the road if he hasn't learnt from them. He didn't change things against Alfreton when it was looking like he should have - it was an error. Hopefully though with hindsight he's learnt his lesson - play people in their best positions and change things if they aren't working.

The level of criticism on here recently about his ability is and capability to do the job is mindboggling. One minute we're ten unbeaten and he's being feted, the next we lose three out of four and he's incompetent. I understand the need to vent after the performance, but sometimes we as fans need to step back and look at the bigger picture. The grass is not always greener.

Time and again clubs chop and change manager and it gets them nowhere. I remember a few seasons ago Gareth Southgate was sacked with Boro 4th in the table because it was 'in the clubs best interests' and now Boro scrabble around midtable.

Whilst we are battling near the top of the table Chris is fit for purpose. We don't have the squad to run away with this league and so play offs are realistically the main target. We know how difficult this league is to get out of. Under Buckle we had a fantastic budget and squad and only just got promoted.

Lets have these sorts of comments and threads nearer the end of the season when we have a better picture of where we are and how good Chris is.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Is Hargreaves 'fit for purpose'..? I can't believe this question is even being asked.

A few months into his first job as a football manager, CH has assembled a squad competing with the best in the Conference.

It took Paul Buckle two seasons to win us promotion from the Conference via the play-offs, and another two seasons to take us to a League Two play-off final. PB may have had his shortcomings, doubtless CH has too, who doesn't have? But if CH gets anywhere near, over the next three seasons, what Buckle achieved in his time here, I'll be well satisfied.

Let's quit nit-picking, and give him and the team our full support.
Last edited by Gullscorer on 16 Oct 2014, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Sesimbra wrote:I will admit right away that Chris Hargreaves appears to have put together a reasonable squad of players for the Conference given the limited funds available. This was borne out earlier when United reached the play-offs. BUT it is one thing to have a decent team in place and another to manage that squad.
Recently Hargreaves actions when it comes to management does give room for concern. I mention three instances:
(1) He praised and advertised to all and sundry the ability of your Ives when, in fact, United did not own the player and it appears he still has not signed professional terms. Surely it was better to keep this gem under wraps until he signed. Suggests NAIVETY
(2) He was upset that United played after all the other Conference matches and suggested we were at a disadvantage. That surely is nonsense. Managers tell their players not to concern themselves about other matches but to concentrate of their own match. All play the same number of matches. Suggests MAKING EXCUSES BEFORE A MATCH IS PLAYED.
(3) Most worrying of all. His inability to accept that he was partly responsible for the debacle last Saturday. It was in his hands to change his formation when it was obviously early on that it was not working. He keeps blaming his young team and saying they are on a steep learning curve. Perhaps CH should consider he is on the same learning curve as a manager, Suggests ARROGANCE
I hope his man-management and PR will improve otherwise promotion will be out of the question.
This might well get me banned but you (and your ignorant clan who share a spout your values) are f*cking morons who do far more harm than good to a team they are supposed to 'support'. CH made a mistake on Saturday but he is by far the most important factor at our club currently. Do you want us to fall to the levels of Lincoln or Grimsby? (or equally as likely) Salisbury or Hereford??

Are you aware of how we are actually doing this year? Is playoffs failure considered the upheaval and budget constraints?

I swear a large proportion of the 'fanbase' sit and wait, eagerly anticipating a bad weekend therefore loving the fact they get to stick a further dagger into what is already a pretty wounded animal.

Shame on you and all of your poisoners loons who prey on such misery.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Would I rather have Chris Hargreaves as manager now or Alan Knill? I know who I would rather have. One is fit for purpose, the other isn't.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Richinns wrote: This might well get me banned but you (and your ignorant clan who share a spout your values) are f*cking morons who do far more harm than good to a team they are supposed to 'support'. CH made a mistake on Saturday but he is by far the most important factor at our club currently. Do you want us to fall to the levels of Lincoln or Grimsby? (or equally as likely) Salisbury or Hereford??

Are you aware of how we are actually doing this year? Is playoffs failure considered the upheaval and budget constraints?

I swear a large proportion of the 'fanbase' sit and wait, eagerly anticipating a bad weekend therefore loving the fact they get to stick a further dagger into what is already a pretty wounded animal.

Shame on you and all of your poisoners loons who prey on such misery.
:goodpost:
TUST No 278
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Richinns - your post is completely idiotic to be honest, People who pose a reasonable question are not "**** morons", ignorant or anything else.
Suggesting that people seek some pleasure in berating the team/manager after a defeat such as Saturdays is equally idiotic.
We might be at the right end of the table amongst "the best in the Conference" but in all fairness the best in the Conference isn't anything that special perhaps.
Is it reasonable that we should expect to be as high up the league as the likes of teams like Barnet,Forest Green and Woking? - well I would say it is to be perfectly honest. We charge higher entrance fees, have bigger crowds abd a set up which is on a par with these other clubs.
Is it reasonable that we should be being humiliated by teams like Telford and Alfreton? - I would say no it isn't. These teams have nothing like the set ups or squads that we have.
Is it reasonable that are first choice goalkeeper is Western League standard? - I would say no it isn't. This has nothing to do with the budget or anything else - its down to bad management.
Is it reasonable that we should concede EIGHT goals to these tin pot teams? - no it isn't. Once is bad enough, but to repeat the dose on national tv actually beggars belief. It was an embarassment. Sorry but it just isn't good enough. Get your head out of your arsehole.
I went to a local match last Saturday and came home excitedly waiting to see the match on the television.
I ended up disappointed, angry and shocked by what I saw - it was just appalling.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

tktufc91 wrote:Would I rather have Chris Hargreaves as manager now or Alan Knill? I know who I would rather have. One is fit for purpose, the other isn't.
Careful. Stefano will be on here soon reminding you that Juan is currently plying his trade at a level higher than we are currently.

The fact that he is paying his trade picking up cones and getting rogered up the arse by the manager is neither here nor there. The fact that he is almost wholly the reason why we are in the conference is neithere here nor there either.

He's in league two and we aren't.

There we are Mr Stefano sir, I've saved you a job, and I got my response in to you at the same time. That's one less horses head you need to arrange now

:)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

brucie wrote:Richinns - your post is completely idiotic to be honest, People who pose a reasonable question are not "f**king morons", ignorant or anything else.
Suggesting that people seek some pleasure in berating the team/manager after a defeat such as Saturdays is equally idiotic.
We might be at the right end of the table amongst "the best in the Conference" but in all fairness the best in the Conference isn't anything that special perhaps.
Is it reasonable that we should expect to be as high up the league as the likes of teams like Barnet,Forest Green and Woking? - well I would say it is to be perfectly honest. We charge higher entrance fees, have bigger crowds abd a set up which is on a par with these other clubs.
Is it reasonable that we should be being humiliated by teams like Telford and Alfreton? - I would say no it isn't. These teams have nothing like the set ups or squads that we have.
Is it reasonable that are first choice goalkeeper is Western League standard? - I would say no it isn't. This has nothing to do with the budget or anything else - its down to bad management.
Is it reasonable that we should concede EIGHT goals to these tin pot teams? - no it isn't. Once is bad enough, but to repeat the dose on national tv actually beggars belief. It was an embarassment. Sorry but it just isn't good enough. Get your head out of your arsehole.
I went to a local match last Saturday and came home excitedly waiting to see the match on the television.
I ended up disappointed, angry and shocked by what I saw - it was just appalling.
Saturday was indeed bad but it followed a lot of what has been very good. On balance, so far, this season has been fairly successful and far better than I imagined it would be and Chris Hargreaves deserves some credit for his signings and for the football the team has played. He no doubt made an error against Alfreton but he will learn from that, I would hope.

Where were the questions like this when we went ten games unbeaten and winning five on the trot?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

hector wrote: Saturday was indeed bad but it followed a lot of what has been very good. On balance, so far, this season has been fairly successful and far better than I imagined it would be and Chris Hargreaves deserves some credit for his signings and for the football the team has played. He no doubt made an error against Alfreton but he will learn from that, I would hope.

Where were the questions like this when we went ten games unbeaten and winning five on the trot?
Good on you, Hector (and Forever) - sensible posts on a pointless thread. :clap: CH has mostly done okay. Bit of a cock up at Alfreton but let's hope he'll learn from that match. He's been quite quiet this week - i.e. very few comments from him in the Herald Express - so reading between the lines, I think he realises he messed up and is putting it behind him.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Probably the cheapest manager we could find and most likely with a cheap get out clause.

Lets see how he does over the next couple of weeks.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: