Ben Harding

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Ben Harding

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

There appears to be quite a few dissenting voices amongst the Gulls faithful already about our midfield and in particular about the performances of our summer signing Ben Harding. Some say that games pass him by and for such a strong unit he is virtually ineffectual, some say that he lacks quality and vision, some say he is too similar to Mansell and we cannot have them both in the same midfield. Some say all 3.

What EXACTLY is it about Harding that you believe restricts the team overall and what is it that you would like to see to rectify this?

I have to be honest and say I've only seen him at Morecambe and Northampton and although I was completely unimpressed in both I have to say that I feel he needs to be given a bit more time, after all we're only a handful of games in and it would be unfair on the lad to drop him given we haven't made that bad a start to the campaign considering. He deserves a chance to come good, like many have given Bodin for example although obviously it shouldn't be THAT long before a change is made if it is glaringly obvious it isn't working.

I just thought i'd try and get some discussion as it does seem that Harding is the main talking point of the first 11.
Your thoughts....................
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

I think he's a bit anonymous and the game seems to pass him by when, as a central midfielder, Harding should be one of the players trying to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and influence proceedings. Against Portsmouth particularly, he seemed to shy away from the ball - even remaining rooted to the spot when the full-backs wanted an option at throw-ins - which meant Lathrope was forced to try and be the creative one.

The fans' ire does seem to be getting to him and affecting his confidence, so it might be a good idea to try and avoid getting on his back when he makes a mistake. That said, I'd rather Knill replaced him with Craig or Lathrope until his form picks up (surely he can't always be this bad?)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Just to apologise in advance about the Bodin quip, just using him to highlight my point.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

I have only seen him against Northampton, and thought he came more into the game late on, but more as a result of our good attacking play stemming from the strikers and the wingers. I am far from convinced, particularly taking on board the views of others, but do think he may come good with more time.

I am probably in the camp that thinks he and Mansell are not an ideal partnership, but that too deserves a little more time. They are similar players, and I have to hope that he can bring something we have yet to see from that partnership, as don't think Mansell will. If Harding can show us something more, this could bring the best out of Mansell, and there is then no reason why the partnership can't work, with improved understanding.

But the clock is ticking...
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

So far the highest score in the papers he has recieved has been a 5 that speaks volumes. He lacks creativity, he doesn't put it about for a big fella and to be honest I'm struggling to find any positives from his performances so far. The only reason we are sticking with him is because he has been signed by the manager. How long have we goto put up with this garbage. Both Lathrope and Craig are better.
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

supergulls wrote:So far the highest score in the papers he has recieved has been a 5 that speaks volumes. He lacks creativity, he doesn't put it about for a big fella and to be honest I'm struggling to find any positives from his performances so far. The only reason we are sticking with him is because he has been signed by the manager. How long have we goto put up with this garbage. Both Lathrope and Craig are better.
In fairness to Harding, he is a proven player at this level, which has to count for something. I like Lathrope, and he did well the season before last, but not so last season. As for Craig, cannot pass too much judgement as haven't seen enough of him, but as yet in his career he is proven nowhere.

To say Lathrope and Craig are both better can only be based on Harding this fledgling season, and Lathrope and Craig this season have only played bit parts (well one of them has). Otherwise, it's based on training, which I assume you have seen, but definitely not the same as competitive action.

However, if Harding (or Mansell for that matter) do not give the level of performance after a little longer, then a change should be made.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper

Post by supergulls »

Faversham Gull wrote: In fairness to Harding, he is a proven player at this level, which has to count for something. I like Lathrope, and he did well the season before last, but not so last season. As for Craig, cannot pass too much judgement as haven't seen enough of him, but as yet in his career he is proven nowhere.

To say Lathrope and Craig are both better can only be based on Harding this fledgling season, and Lathrope and Craig this season have only played bit parts (well one of them has). Otherwise, it's based on training, which I assume you have seen, but definitely not the same as competitive action.

However, if Harding (or Mansell for that matter) do not give the level of performance after a little longer, then a change should be made.
Of course I'm baseing my opinions on what Lathrope and Craig have done over previous periods as neither of them has been given a chance since Harding arrived. I have watched every pre season game, every home game, two away games and numerous training sessions which many on here can confirm and I'm telling you in my opinion Harding should be arrested for impersonating a professional footballer.
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

Fair enough, you have much more to go on than I do.

But I just hope that either a) Knill knows something we don't or b) Harding shows us something which has a enabled him to build up his career prior to joining us.

And just think, if he does come good, then what a team we could have for the rest of the season.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper

Post by supergulls »

I'm with you that he did come with a good pedigree and was hoping that he would do well. But I fear him and manse are too similar and lack creativity. I don't want this partnership to fail but I have my doubts and I hope that soon knill wakes up and has a change of personnel
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

He can't pass straight. He can't shoot (one decent effort aside). He can't retain a ball. A gentle breeze would blow him over. He can't tackle. He can't strike a dead ball. He couldn't make the right decision in a choice of one. He's complete and utter shit. I don't give a monkey's how frail we will be defensively if Craig plays (that's bollocks, we won't, because A) Craig isn't as weak in the tackle as people think, B) We will keep the ball much more efficiently and C) I could swallow a pack of Match Attax stickers and shit a better player than Harding) he must play sooner rather than later because, presently, Harding is ruining a pretty good team by endlessly losing the ball and wasting decent chances in front of goal.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

I don't think Mansell will bring anything to the partnership that we have yet to see. This is not a criticism as he could still thrive with the right partner (for how much longer is another debate). I agree, through the limited amount I have seen and based on other opinions that they have been too similar up to now.

However, subtle changes and improvements in understanding could allow their partnership to work. I hope that Harding can initiate this as we do not need another (inferior version of) Mansell.

If nothing changes then Lathrope or Craig need to be considered if for no other reason than they will both bring something different to the midfield.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

There is absolutely no comparison between Harding and Mansell. Mansell always gives 100% effort and hates losing. Up to now, there has been little effort from Harding and he looks like he couldn't care less whether we won or lost. A Northampton supporter who presumably has seen him play more than us gave the opinion "The game passes him by". To me, that description fits perfectly. Against Hartlepool, there was a clear 60/40 ball in his favour but he bottled out of the tackle. I can forgive most things in a player, but not lack of effort. Billy Bodin is frustrating because we can see he has the skills to be a good player but it never seems to quite happen for him. But you can never accuse him of lack of effort.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

supergulls wrote:I'm with you that he did come with a good pedigree and was hoping that he would do well. But I fear him and manse are too similar and lack creativity. I don't want this partnership to fail but I have my doubts and I hope that soon knill wakes up and has a change of personnel
But has he come with a good pedigree? He was on a one year contract at Northampton and although he played in most of their games that took them into the play offs, it seems their manager didn't consider him worthy of another contract. And it seems that Northampton fans weren't exactly crying in their beer when he left. Now we've got him on a TWO YEAR contract !!! As for Ferrarilover's post - now, come on Matt - he isn't that good.
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

Too similar in style, position and intent perhaps. Against Northampton both were ineffective for the first hour, and when we got going, I think Harding was more involved than Mansell. However, comments would suggest this has been Harding's best performance, which is not encouraging.

What I was trying to suggest is that our midfield does not need another player who plays a similar game to Mansell. We need someone to complement his game, whether playing deeper or more advanced, or perhaps both.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Better than Mansell, IMO.