Help from Gulls exiled abroad.......

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Help from Gulls exiled abroad.......

Post by nicktufc »

I am moving abroad in a months time, and in order to keep in touch with things at Plainmoor, I am intending to subscribe to Gulls Player to listen in to games.

Is there any particular platform that is needed to play it, or can I get it through an iPhone? I don't really fancy having to buy a laptop to take with me, but would consider an iPad or other tablet if it works on that format?

All help is greatly received...
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Where are you going and why?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

nicktufc wrote:I am moving abroad in a months time, and in order to keep in touch with things at Plainmoor, I am intending to subscribe to Gulls Player to listen in to games.

Is there any particular platform that is needed to play it, or can I get it through an iPhone? I don't really fancy having to buy a laptop to take with me, but would consider an iPad or other tablet if it works on that format?

All help is greatly received...
wouldn't recommend a i-device because I believe that Gulls Player uses Flash. Which Apple don't like

Anyway, I just went to the official site to confirm and pretty helpfully the link to the player is broken. Absolutely un-fricking-believable.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Nick,

Gullsplayer uses flash to play the commentary which as standard doesn't work through Apple safari. However you can download different flash enabled browsers from the apple app store that enable gullsplayer to work on I-pads. I have an I-pad1 and use the app i-swifter and can listen to the game. Only slight downside is that you cannot do anything else - I prefer to listen on a laptop so I can flick about to other webpages and applications.

I'm not sure about the I-phone - I was away from home at the weekend and tried to get it on my wife's i-phone but couldn't find a flash enabled browser specifically for the i-phone although I didn't spend too much time looking.

If you do in the end go for a laptop to listen to it make sure it is tough and can survive you taking out your frustration on it on the numerous occassions gullsplayer does not work.

The below is a common reflection of the experience...

START! Start, you vicious b*st*rd! Come on! Oh, my God! I'm warning you, if you don't start...! I'll count to three: 1... 2... 3, right, that's it! I've had enough!
You treaded on just once too often! Right! Well, don't say I haven't warned you! I've laid it on the line for you time and time again! Right! So, this is it! I'm gonna give you a damn good thrashing!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

exilegull wrote:Nick,

Gullsplayer uses flash to play the commentary which as standard doesn't work through Apple safari. However you can download different flash enabled browsers from the apple app store that enable gullsplayer to work on I-pads. I have an I-pad1 and use the app i-swifter and can listen to the game. Only slight downside is that you cannot do anything else - I prefer to listen on a laptop so I can flick about to other webpages and applications.

I'm not sure about the I-phone - I was away from home at the weekend and tried to get it on my wife's i-phone but couldn't find a flash enabled browser specifically for the i-phone although I didn't spend too much time looking.

If you do in the end go for a laptop to listen to it make sure it is tough and can survive you taking out your frustration on it on the numerous occassions gullsplayer does not work.

The below is a common reflection of the experience...

START! Start, you vicious b*st*rd! Come on! Oh, my God! I'm warning you, if you don't start...! I'll count to three: 1... 2... 3, right, that's it! I've had enough!
You treaded on just once too often! Right! Well, don't say I haven't warned you! I've laid it on the line for you time and time again! Right! So, this is it! I'm gonna give you a damn good thrashing!
:goodpost: :clap:

[youtube]78b67l_yxUc[/youtube]

:clap: :rofl:
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

It's not going to be ideal on a mobile device; such as an iPhone or Android device(even though this allows flash) as gulls player is not constructed for mobile devices.

If you still wish to use it on mobile then an android phone or tablet- like the new nexus 7 is what I recommend!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Yellow4life wrote:If you still wish to use it on mobile then an android phone or tablet- like the new nexus 7 is what I recommend!
I have an HP Touchpad that i've rooted for Android, and flash stuff works great on there.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I don't deny that it will work; as I claimed Android is better but as it isn't mobile friendly it wont be the best of experiences...
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

ferrarilover wrote:Where are you going and why?

Matt.

I'm off travelling Matt, heading to Australia to live and work in Melbourne for a while, before going North to do my bit for the Australian farming community in order to get a 2nd year visa. Plan is then to mooch round the Gold Coast for a few months, although most of that is subject to being shifted around if the mood takes me!

Would also like to take in the States as I know a mate over there, and also Canada to Ski in Banff for a season.

Thanks for all the advice. I was hoping to avoid taking a laptop, but it would appear this may be the best way of keeping in touch with most people, and of course TUFC. I have a pretty old and battered laptop, so that may be the thing to take.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It works fine on my Jailbroken iPhone

Here's a tutorial for those that aren't able to do this themselves. Phone needs to be Jailbroken although why anyone wouldn't is beyond me.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/ho ... sy_way.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Southampton Gull wrote:It works fine on my Jailbroken iPhone

Here's a tutorial for those that aren't able to do this themselves. Phone needs to be Jailbroken although why anyone wouldn't is beyond me.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/ho ... sy_way.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perhaps at this point you should also say that torquayfans won't be held responsible should anyone do it wrong and (unlikely) break their phone :-D
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Now why would I need to do that? The link provided is one that assumes the phone has already had a Jailbreak done...................
Dave

robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

As someone who works for Apple I have a couple of points to make! By all means go ahead and jailbreak your iPhone, but if you do so, please just be aware that this invalidates your warrantee, and therefore if you get any problems in the future, Apple will not service it. Taking it to any non Apple certified repair centres also invalidates your warrantee. Just something to keep in mind.

As for Flash, no Apple small devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod) use Flash, and here is why...

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As stated above, there are some apps you can download that will make them play flash, but they are largely unreliable and glitchy (in my experience, although I know other people use them to get by)

Hope this is some help.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The best thing I ever did, in terms of mobile phones, was ditch my iPhone and buy an S3 running Android. More apps, more of them are free (including Angry Birds), the phone is faster, more reliable, the H+ is much faster than 3G, it's bigger, lighter, more user friendly and much, MUCH less restrictive than Apple's "equivalent".

Apple is like America, it pretends to be all liberal and free, with its right the bear arms and its lecturing the world on democracy, but in truth, you can't smoke anywhere, you can't say **** on television and you can't turn off the traction control in their cars.

Android is like China, most people are wary of it because it isn't America, therefore it isn't the default choice for your summer 'oliday, but once you take the plunge and get there, you find that it's basically a case of 'do what the hell you like'.

Hope this clears things up.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

And jailbreaking your iPhone is like Matt's description of China but finding on your arrival that everyone speaks perfect English ;-) The S3 better than an iPhone? Not a chance, there isn't a phone out there that can compete with it and I hate Apple with a passion, bought an iPhone with great reluctance but was forced to admit to its superiority. Matt obviously is much more computer literate than myself and can prove beyone doubt how much better the S3 is, simply by typing a load of bollo**s :)

As for invalidating the Apple warranty, robc is correct BUT ...... big deal. Jailbreaking is reversible without a trace and also rids you of all the stupid restrictions that Apple put on the phone. It's done as simply as restoring your phone from a saved backup in iTunes. I've yet to meet one person who has had any problems if needing to return a phone to Apple and I've done hundreds of phones for friends and family.
Dave