Torquay United v Aldershot - 6/3/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

shrews leveller, we 5th then??
still keeping the faith
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

You absolute beauty.

Tough game against the divisions in-form side, and the stats make pleasant reading.

Although was just about to put "puts us in pole position for an automatic place" when the Shrews go and bag a leveller! Still, means dropped points for both them and Oxford which cements the P/O place a bit more.

Another 4 points and I'm going to Swindon!
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Yay! Another 3 points. Not too shabby at all.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Fantastic result! We keep grinding out these wins, long may it continue.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Slightly concerned that we don't seem to be able to score more than 1 goal a game but overall that's a very good win tonight against the form side in the division. Don't get me wrong would take 10 more 1-0 wins but I would like to see us not having heart attacks in the last 5minutes of a game soon as we sit with a 3-0 lead :)
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

royalgull wrote:Slightly concerned that we don't seem to be able to score more than 1 goal a game but overall that's a very good win tonight against the form side in the division. Don't get me wrong would take 10 more 1-0 wins but I would like to see us not having heart attacks in the last 5minutes of a game soon as we sit with a 3-0 lead :)

dunno if this will make any sense but I feel that I'm having fewer palpitations now when we're 1-0 up with 15 to play than I used to when we were 2 or 3 up and concede with 15 to go....
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Defensive system seems extremely robust
Ellis - Saah
Ellis - Robbo
Ellis- MacDonald
Robbo - Saah
All permutations have worked superbly well
Top marks again to ST - we cannot lose if we don't concede
Very good evening once more - thought it would be 0-0 and Rene puts his shooting boots on - that will have him fired up for Saturday
Plainmoor will be rocking on Saturday with Rovers in town
What a great time to support the Gulls - long may it continue
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

bixieupnorth[color=#FF0000] wrote:4th place!! could go second if we win game in hand!!
[/color]
I make it we are 5th as Shrewsbury got a better goal difference.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Amazing result!

Torquay United on top form!

:)
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

As It Stands Table
1 Swindon.............70 (1 game in hand)
2 Cheltenham.........64
3 Southend............63
4 Shrewsbury..........62 (+17) (1 game in hand)
5 Torquay..............62 (+11) (1 game in hand)
6 Crawley..............57 (3 games in hand)
7 Oxford Utd..........55 (1 game in hand)
8 Gillingham ..........54 (1 game in hand)
Adapted from Live BBC tables

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Not going to do a match report, because I need to be up early in the morning and it takes a while for me to right it up! But I'm sure Bengull will post his match report.

"We only win 1-0, We only win 1-0!" Another great win!

Even though Aldershot were coming into this game with a winning run, tonight I didn't think they caused us much danger. We passed quite nicely at times and Howe was a great target man tonight.

5th, joint 4th, a point off 3rd, 2 points off 2nd with a game in hand! Happy Days! Yellow Army!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I'm in Jeffs camp in seeing the Shrews leveller as further cementing our play off place. In the race for the autos what will be will be but we must make sure we keep a good distance between ourselves and Oxford / Gillingham / Vale. That is vital. Tonight was another narrow win and like Royal says, there is concern that we struggle to find the net more prolifically but on the flipside, i've been saying that since Christmas and look where we are! It seems that the players are taking a leaf out of happy's book and are well becoming accustomed to seeing out games on a regular basis without much panic. Pleased for Rene as the pressure has been cranked up on him a bit due to his lack of goals since his return and we have all the makings of a top three side. Absolutely over the moon and wish i was going on saturday but at least i can go to the Rovrum & Burton games AND i won £360 tonight thanks to my £40 four timer of Arsenal, Chelsea, Swindon & Sheff Wednesday!! Cashback!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Didn't think it was are best team performance tonight, gave away posession a bit to cheaply around the midfield area at times, and as a result had to soak up a lot of pressure, this however is where the biggest improvement in our side is, no longer do we have aglass jaw and can hold teams out.

Jarvis looks like he could be decent signing, looks short of matchs that will come, bringing Saah back in was the right call , some important blocks and last ditch tackles from him, and christ I would hate to bwe the ball when Ellis gets his head on it, my god does it fly.

A scruffy 3 points but hey, who cares.

EDIT, oops sorry forgot to say, star man performance from Lathrope for me, unsung hero, rarely gets the credit for the work he does, once again tonight breaking up the play, not abad little passer either.
Formerly known as forevertufc
mcgull1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodny Jack Jack Jack

Post by mcgull1 »

Seems to me there was similar confusion to that at the gillingham game - sponsors named Oastler MoM? Thought he looked poor tonight whereas Saah looked solid!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

When we had the ball, we looked better than we have done recently. Without it, and there was a fair wedge of that, we looked solid enough. Once again, I find myself struggling to remember anything Bobby actually had to do. One reasonable save from a free kick and that was pretty much it. If we had had a couple more players (Eunan in particular) at 8/10 rather than at 5/10, then we'd have likely scores one or two more.
For all their ball, it was a pretty comfortable night for the chaps, topped off with a really good goal.

Lovely job.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"