Torquay United v Aldershot - 6/3/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Torquay United v Aldershot - 6/3/12

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Back at Plainmoor for this encounter against a resurgent Aldershot side who have just broken their club record for the most wins on the spin with their 1-0 home win against Morecambe at the weekend. This run includes a 2-0 home win against Southend but the other 5 are against mid to bottom of the table opposition. That said they will be looking to make it 7 and we will be looking to start another winning run to help us in the final push for automatic promotion. A few weeks ago i may have considered this fixture one which we should win quite comfortably but given the rich vein of form the visitors are in but make no mistake, this is going to be a tough tough game.

Earlier on in the season we beat them 1-0 at the EBB courtesy of a first half Lee Mansell goal and indeed both games between us last season ended up as 1-0 victories to Aldershot. I'm going to follow the pattern and go for us to double up with another 1-0 win.

They are dangerous in attack with 13 goal top scorer Danny Hylton spearheading it with other quality players like Michael Rankine who i rate highly having seen him many times play for York, a club where i go to a lot. Guy Madjo who bagged the winner v Morecambe is a recent addition and Gulls like myself who made the trip to Vale Park to witness our drab 0-0 draw their earlier this season will remember his performance for Vale on that night. He was very lively and tricky and will cause problems.

Other notable players are the former Shrews defender Ben Herd and Peter Vicenti the former Stevenage player.

Their line up last time out v Morecambe:

1. Jamie Young
2. Ben Herd
3. Anthony Straker
4. Darren Jones
5. Aaron Morris
6. Peter Vicenti
7. Troy Brown
8. Sonny Bradley
9. Josh Payne
10.Danny Hylton
11.Guy Madjo

SUBS:
Ben Smith
Adam Mekki
Wilko Risser ( Namibian international)

Don't know who the ref is or where i can find out so if anyone can add this to the thread then that would be great. Hope this helps Bixie out!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Going to be a tough game, the Shots are unbeaten in 7 and won there last 6 in a row, conceeding only 2 goals, so they are on a very similar/better run of form to ourselves, don't think it matters to much who they have played during that run, there team is going to be very confident.

Going for a hard fought win here.
Formerly known as forevertufc
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

cheers andy, yeah for sure this is a game where i wanted to let someone start the thread to preserve my 100% record. whereas we were both confident of a positive result at crawley, tomorrow night i'm not so sure, aldershot have taken the torch that first us and then swindon carried aloft for so long!! six wins on the trot for the shots, and i can see them coming to plainmoor with a very positive attitude from the start, we'll have to watch ourselves that we dont slip up for 2nd home game on the trot

i'll not be spending any of the money i won on the crawley game on this one for once

would love a win but am gonna predict our first draw this year 1-1, howe equalising after we fell behind in the first half, and another very poor crowd 2275
still keeping the faith
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

There run has got to come to an end at some just like ours had to!! Am fairly confident too following Saturdays Crawley win so am gunna stick my neck out and say 3-0 Toquay win!! Be the first time we've scored more than 2 goals in a game since the Plymouth win back in November!!
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

tufc si wrote:There run has got to come to an end at some just like ours had to!! Am fairly confident too following Saturdays Crawley win so am gunna stick my neck out and say 3-0 Toquay win!! Be the first time we've scored more than 2 goals in a game since the Plymouth win back in November!!
I don't care how many we win by as long as it is 3 points.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Another 1-0 to us will do for me, although I would like to see us score more and create a decent "cushion".
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I wonder if Angus MacDonald will be given the nod over Brian Saah and start against Aldershot ?
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Trojan 67 wrote:I wonder if Angus MacDonald will be given the nod over Brian Saah and start against Aldershot ?

I would think not as Saah is now a key permanent member of the starting 11 and Angus ( despite how amazing he did on saturday ) is only a loanee. I'd be surprised if Martin went with Angus tbh.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

Trojan 67 wrote:I wonder if Angus MacDonald will be given the nod over Brian Saah and start against Aldershot ?
team selection should be on merit so Angus deserves the nod over Saah imo.....
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I can't argue with you there kingsgull. If Angus got the nod then i've no problem with that. I just wonder how Brian will view the situation if he was overlooked in favour of Angus given that he and most Gulls see him as an integral part of the defence now Robbo has gone. At the end of the day Angus might only play a few games for us and go back to Reading and then Saah will then have to come in having been out of the side so i would go with Saah and use Angus if we need to as a more than capable back up.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Brian would, one hopes, see the situation as it is - he got banned for being sent off (even though he didn't....), and somebody came into the side and played very well in his place.
I don't expect him to be happy - nobody should be happy about losing their place in the squad, but the guy replacing him doesn't deserve to be dropped either....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

By all accounts Angus MacDonald had a very good game Saturday, however I don't think team selection is as clear cut as that, no doubt it has given Lingy a bit of a headache, however Martin Ling will see the bigger picture.

Brian Saah was in fine form and very confident , and missed just 1 match to a suspension that many at the club dissargeed with, I think Lingy will restore Saah to the starting line up, with all things considered, yes it will be tough on Angus but this is professional football, fair does not allways come into it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Its the Howe/Atieno argument all over again, isn't it. I'm firmly in the camp that believe for, whatever the reason, MacDonald got an opportunity to fill the shirt and didn't let us down. Whether he is a loan player or not, Lingy should treat him fairly. He's got the jersey now, its down to Brian to win it back on merit.

BTW, just watching Southend v Crawley on Sky. Southend down to 10 after Barker handled on the line, but Clarke missed the penalty (denied by a great save by the on-loan Belford, who looked so shaky for the Shakers (Bury) last season against us). A draw would be most welcome here!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Jeff wrote:Its the Howe/Atieno argument all over again, isn't it. I'm firmly in the camp that believe for, whatever the reason, MacDonald got an opportunity to fill the shirt and didn't let us down. Whether he is a loan player or not, Lingy should treat him fairly. He's got the jersey now, its down to Brian to win it back on merit.

BTW, just watching Southend v Crawley on Sky. Southend down to 10 after Barker handled on the line, but Clarke missed the penalty (denied by a great save by the on-loan Belford, who looked so shaky for the Shakers (Bury) last season against us). A draw would be most welcome here!

Agree :nod:
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Will certainly be a tough one, but then every game remaining will be too. A drew wont be a disaster as long as we follow it up with a win on Saturday.
Lucy