Lloyd Macklins chance???

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tufc4life1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: okane

Lloyd Macklins chance???

Post by tufc4life1 »

With Danny Stevens going to be out for rest of season by looks of it i honestly think macklin should be given an opportunity :) this could be his chance to shine personally id rather see him on wing than mcphee,ateino or jarvis as he's an out an out winger, if he does get a starting place his confidence will grow and he could be our best player from now to end.
we also have Nathan Craig waiting for first team football but not sure if he's ready just yet.

what do other people think about macklin being given a chance??
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

So many people have been suggesting Nathan Craig for the winger role... but after seeing what he plays like against Buckland, hes more of a Scholes type player, doesn't have the pace, but tackles and he a sweet left peg.. for scholes obviously its his right, but im saying nathan craig would be better of in the centre, on the wing he would be another Jarvis and Morris.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I'd like to see him given a game but I'd want a result instantly, the fact that 2 managers are persistantly overlooking home shows he's either not good enough or has attitude problems during training.

If he's cr*p in his chance, then get rid.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
tufc4life1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by tufc4life1 »

Got same opinion on him saw him play against exshiter and i couldn't agree more with you he's a a much better player in the middle got good vision and a good pass,
really do think if they don't give Lloyd a chance here which he deserves got a feeling might be seeing last of him.
he an out and out winger who will run at defenders with confidence and is not afraid to shoot
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Lloyd Macklin's chance ? Simple answer, no.

Lloyd Macklin does have the potential and the raw ability to be a very good player, why does he keep getting overlooked , to be honest I don't know. attitude maybe ?

I am in no doubt however that Lingy will go with Ryan Jarvis, and the lad deserves and no doubt will get our full support.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tufc4life1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by tufc4life1 »

Whoever plays there i'll be 100% behind them at home why not play 442
Olejnik
nico ellis mcdonald oastler
morris eunan mansell macklin
jarvis howe or tai up front
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Dont think there is any need to switch to 4-4-2, the current system has worked well, and the radio commentator said soemthing that struck a cord with me Saturday..he said Torquay do look very comfortable with the system they play.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

tufc4life1 wrote:Whoever plays there i'll be 100% behind them at home why not play 442
Olejnik
nico ellis mcdonald oastler
morris eunan mansell macklin
jarvis howe or tai up front
I agree, a change of system may have to be considered.

The current formation relies heavily on the wide players having enough pace to get up the pitch and support Howe. I think that is why people haven't been impressed with Morris so far, as his game is more suited to drifting into space and finding a good delivery. Without the pace of Danny we don't have any realy quick wingers, except Macklin, who is constantly overlooked.

I will be interested into how Ling handles this...
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Whilst I total see where you are coming from Steve/ forlife1, I would however be very surprised indeed if Martin Ling changed to system.

I got the impression listening to the game on the radio which I know is difficult, that Jarvis seemed to slot in well to the system, and reading Martin Ling's interview on the O/S he seems to think that way aswell, which leads me to believe that he wont change anything before the match, maybe during if all is not going to well.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I agree with forevertufc (again as usual) about Macklin and about the system. Jarvis played well yesterday when he replaced Danny and fitted in with the system well also. Ling won't change the system and I don't see any point to. We went on that winning run with that formation and when Ling changed the system back in October/November time, the team started to gel and play well. So it's a straight swap for me, Jarvis for Danny.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

tufc4life1 tells us twice that Macklin is an out & out winger & that is most probably correct. But most peoples opinion of a traditional winger is someone who beats his full back on the outside, gets to the byline & crosses the ball into the middle. What use would that be in our system of play ?

I had high hopes of Macklin & if it had been the old days with a Tim Sills type forward who lived off crosses then I'd be all in favour of giving Lloyd a go.
However when I've watched him his main asset seems to be running very fast in a straight line. Now just imagine if Macklin does set off like an express train up the wing. He can put over crosses all day & all night but we'd only have Rene in the box surrounded by defenders & in any case can Rene jump ?

The midfield cavalry will arrive as soon as they can, but it's just a different style to what we've been successfully playing & it would mean wholesale changes just to incorporate Lloyd. Our most successful spells this season never saw our 'wide' men Danny Stevens & Billy Bodin floating high crosses in for Rene to try to head. If we're going to try Lloyd it will have to be because he can adapt his game to suit our style, because if he wants to play as an out & out winger it's not a lot of use to us.

Robbo, Saah, Ellis etc have been great in the air from set pieces & from corners, but from general play we don't hit high balls into the box from the wing.
Firstly because we've only got one man in there & secondly because Rene doesn't get very far off the ground for some reason when he does try to jump :~D . You can probably count Tai's headed career goals on one finger also.

I'd love to see Lloyd come in & play a blinder, but he'll need to adjust his game, become an 'out & in' winger & add a bit more variation to his game along the lines of Danny & Billy at their best.
tufc4life1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by tufc4life1 »

@alphine Joe

you made some very good points about how we haven't scored from crosses this season which is very true,
and if he does beat his man then obvious answer is play 2 up front
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Maybe Ling has worked on this side of Macklin's game in training? We can't really know, and I'd be all for giving him a chance.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Theres got to be a reason Macklin isnt getting in the team (or the squad for that mater) and only Ling can answer that one. In the reserve games and other games he's played in he's looked a threat and done well. So weather its his attitude in training or he doesnt fit in to the system we play or his (rumoured) outburst on Twitter during our bad run earlier in the season we'll never know unless Ling reveals it if someone asks him.

Like others I'd be happy to see him have a chance. But I think it'll be Jarvis who gets the nod to replace Danny.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Alpine Joe has named that tune in one! It would be madness to change our system when we are so used to it and we have been getting results all season so an out and out winger like Macklin would not be ideal as AJ pointed out. IMO we need to stick to the system and stick Jarvis in there. Because we play into spaces in the middle rather than someone out wide bombing on down the flanks and whipping crosses in, that is one good reason why Danny has been so effective this season. One of my major complaints about his overall game is that he never goes past a player and get crosses in choosing to cut inside all the time. This style of play has suited his game and benefitted everyone. I say keep it simple, keep it as it is and if Jarvis can fit straight in there then sweet. No need to be faffing about with formations.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.