Football League Show

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Football League Show

Post by bengull »

Very annoying that for the second time this season we have been widely ignored in a 'Clem segment' but amusing that on both occasions we have pee-peed on the parade of the subjects.

Its a shame that once again the BBC chose to massage the ego of a controversial lower league manager, choosing not to probe why, in today's climate of strict salary capping rules that all league two clubs adhere to, did he have to sell his two star strikers. It seems this was a decision taken from above his head, El Fatty Mascara didn't look too impressed.

They came for a story of Crawley's progress on the pitch, a much better story would have been their amateurish approach to running a football club off of it. 470 Torquay fans where held captive in the corner of the ground far longer than they should have been. Even when it was clearly dangerous in today's climate of Health and Safety it took 20 minutes for the brains of the 'safety officer summit meeting' to finally allow common sense to prevail. The pitch was so bad that you would expect it to belong to a Village Club, not a football league outfit, 3000 plastic Crawley fans turned up and did not sing, they did moan on the way out, there was absolutely no passion from them whatsoever. None of these issues were mentioned.

The BBC came to focus on a team's promotion bid, i can't help but feel they focused on the wrong one. Without playing outstanding football, Torquay turned up, ignored all the external factors and dirty tactics we had come to expect and got on with the job. The scenes at the final whistle of the players and management saluting the loud proud Yellow Army would have made great television, listening to the fat controller wail on about how all his budget ran out did not. Just once it would be nice to see a tiny bit of exposure given to us, we have just won seven games in a row afterall.

And to add insult to injury all our good old friend Steve Claridge could muster was 'Crawley were unlucky, they will bounce back'
Last edited by bengull on 04 Mar 2012, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

just about to watch it now, have ploughed thru the other two leagues, now a cuppa and the 4th division bit!
still keeping the faith
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

It is an abolsute disgrace that all we get from the FLS is "Great win for Torquay." I think that's what they say everytime we win and then they go on about the losing side, saying how they played and how they'll bounce back!? So hang on, TUFC with not many funds, beat Crawley at home (only the third team to do that this season!) and all we get is "Great win for Torquay. What a load of crap, but would I expect any less from the Football League Show?
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

haha, how bad are his highlights!! really uncool fatty!!

pitch really did cut up bad didnt it, looked really good at ko too?

my iphone app told me it was mansell who scored, def eunan tho, great to see him hitting the net again after a long barren spell
still keeping the faith
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

We all know about Steve Evans criminal past so to watch a BBC piece airbrush the fraud, the bankrolling and the dirty tactics out of history is pretty galling.

I work as a steward at Arsenal and along with violence, overcrowding is by far the main issue. Obviously that doesn't really happen at a modern stadium, but at grounds like Broadfield it can happen if the club aren't careful. Crawley's approach yesterday showed that they did not give a damn about the travelling fans, to give us a corner while behind the goal is empty is stupid in the first place and to limit the space available is dangerous.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

I'm more annoyed me,Away day and a couple others got interviewed and didnt even make it into the show ;-)

I'm more than happy for them to overlook us because we can keep continuing to prove them wrong. And doing it with no money spent unlike other teams around us. If they want to ignore us fine by me that just gives us more incentive to get promoted and prove were more of a threat than they think we are.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Steve Evans in his post-match interview said Crawley were the better team, but played poorly..! Don't mind that; let everyone overlook the Gulls and disregard our qualities, so we can get under their radar.

The only thing which will stop us finishing in the top three now is injuries, which is more worrying after the injury to Danny Stevens.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Fully backed.

I've made my feelings on the FLS clear before. I think it's an amateurish waste of time, and I was also pretty disappointed to find us as the "other team" as part of the main segment and still widely ignored. Have we had our turn yet? Do we even get a turn?
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Perhaps we'll get our turn when we get promoted as League Two champions and begin next season in League One with the new grandstand.

Or perhaps not..
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Southend away in September 2010 was our only previous feature.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Reminds me a bit when we faced Notts County live on Sky when Sven was there. It was all about Notts County and we were just a small team who were expected to get beaten. Even when we pulled it back to 2-2, we got little recognition for it.

Let them ignore us I say, the more they ignore us, the sweeter it will be when we make it into League 1 next season.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

tktufc91 wrote:Let them ignore us I say, the more they ignore us, the sweeter it will be when we make it into League 1 next season.

Too true!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

My own personal view is, could not give a rats arse as to whether we are ignored all day, all night and all season long, or what anyone's says or think's about Torquay united.

As long as the board, manager, players and us the fan's are happy and stay united, the team keep playing well and winning, thats all that counts, every one else can do one.
Formerly known as forevertufc
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

I saw Clem outside whilst waiting a ridiculous 20 mins to get a ticket and thought they must be here to record the media's dream team, plucky little Crawley on their anticipated 2nd Promotion. He was too far away for me to say anything to that regard but i wasnt surprised at what i saw on the FL show. Come on Clem, you know they are hated amongst the lower leagues.
As for the day itself, my 2nd visit and indeed witness to our 2nd win at the Broadway or whatever its called reminded me of why i hadnt been back in a few years and why I shant again (potential PO game excluded) for a while. Modern but poor facilities for the FL and no doubt they need some cash (Tubbs et al) to upgrade them such as more seats, silly stewards and shocking pitch.
Having said all that, a great win and I reckon we'll be there or there abouts so pencil in Hereford (A) on the last day, we should surpass the 2k that went to Sarfend a few years ago.
TUST #324
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

numpte wrote:I saw Clem outside whilst waiting a ridiculous 20 mins to get a ticket and thought they must be here to record the media's dream team, plucky little Crawley on their anticipated 2nd Promotion. He was too far away for me to say anything to that regard but i wasnt surprised at what i saw on the FL show. Come on Clem, you know they are hated amongst the lower leagues.
As for the day itself, my 2nd visit and indeed witness to our 2nd win at the Broadway or whatever its called reminded me of why i hadnt been back in a few years and why I shant again (potential PO game excluded) for a while. Modern but poor facilities for the FL and no doubt they need some cash (Tubbs et al) to upgrade them such as more seats, silly stewards and shocking pitch.
Having said all that, a great win and I reckon we'll be there or there abouts so pencil in Hereford (A) on the last day, we should surpass the 2k that went to Sarfend a few years ago.

Blimey what a day that could be, one team possibly going up and another going down. Hopefully our season will be sorted out by the last day and then dont have to go to that shithole. I agree that we could take 2000 there but unfortunately their away limit is 1400.