crawley town v torquay united - 3/3/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
UpminsterGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by UpminsterGull »

Neal wrote:Was it the f*cking pitch!
Looked like it to me although we were a long way away. He & a defender were chasing a ball then he just fell to the ground.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Sexy_Gulls wrote:
P.S. Is there anything the club can do to complain against that pitch? Surely there are some regulations and it's just done for Stevens's ankle as well as McFazdean.
When it comes to decisions regarding playing conditions and player safety, it's down to the w*nker with the whistle. :-/
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yep, the referee has deemed the pitch playable, and both sides have agreed, thats pretty much it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

Shame. The only thing better than beating Crawley would be to nobble them with some underhand bureaucracy...
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

forevertufc wrote:Yep, the referee has deemed the pitch playable, and both sides have agreed, thats pretty much it.
And as the playing surface deteriorated during the game the referee still deemed it playable with due concern to player safety. :|

The injuries to Stevens and McFazdean, in all probability, were due to the pitch conditions, but if it was really dangerous to player safety then the misfit duo would have been on the referee's case big time.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

I don't want to blow my own trumpet but it's 4/4, that's four out or four, you can screw your Margaret thatcher, you can shove your winston Churchill, your north sea gas, your pop music, your trendy haircuts x
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

sorry she came in from work, stopped me on my flow, would've been an epic post, but now it's not, birds, pah!
still keeping the faith
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

bixieupnorth wrote:I don't want to blow my own trumpet but it's 4/4, that's four out or four, you can screw your Margaret thatcher, you can shove your winston Churchill, your north sea gas, your pop music, your trendy haircuts x

? ? ?

Explain.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Have read mostly concern for Rene's form after todays battle.

Martin Ling sees things differently..."I thought Rene Howe was outstanding today. He's a battering ram that's got skill as well."

The injury to Danny is scandalous - preparing an unsafe surface for a league 2 game should be an automatic deduction of 10pts and a million quid fine!
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

Wisconsin_gull wrote:Have read mostly concern for Rene's form after todays battle.

Martin Ling sees things differently..."I thought Rene Howe was outstanding today. He's a battering ram that's got skill as well."
In terms of defending from the front and causing shaky Crawley back passes then Rene was excellent. In terms of goal threat he was non existent most of the time. Rene isn't lazy, he just doesn't bother running for lost causes. Which is a good thing in my book, fans rate strikers who chases every poor through ball as if their life depends on it but in reality it has an effect maybe once a season. As I said previously if we had quick players around him then his hold up play would make us very threatening, it's just that now there isn't anyone to hold the ball up for.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Wisconsin_gull wrote:
The injury to Danny is scandalous - preparing an unsafe surface for a league 2 game should be an automatic deduction of 10pts and a million quid fine!

The playing surface, prior and up to kick-off, was subjected to very heavy rainfall according to the radio commentators. If an unsafe playing surface had been deliberately prepared, then it would have been equal, injury wise, to both sets of players. The fact that the cut up playing surface restricted our passing game is another matter.

On the day, apart from the unfortunate injury to Danny Stevens, the pitch mattered not.

Torquay won, cheaters lost.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

I thought we were excellent. Stopped Crawley from playing and frustrated them. And nicked a winner. McDonald was excellent after a slow start he got better as the game went on. As were the whole team really. Delighted to finally get one over on them. And Evans & Raynor.

Nice to see they dont know the word sportsmanship when they didnt give the ball back to us after we knocked it out for a throw for one of there players falling to the ground.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Just got back from Crawley, what a day! Fantastic result and a great performance with young McDonald (e-i-e-i-o) and Jarvis both playing well. The pitch was a disgrace and so were the stewards only allowing the away fans in the corner. After 20 minutes of arguing and protesting they eventually gave us more room, when the game kicked off (brilliant!).

The Torquay fans were fantastic (I have got 3 videos and will upload them onto youtube tomorrow) all 461 of them were packed in the space they gave us, made a great noise and went crazy when we scored.

The passion throughout the whole squad is just fantastic and we could see that at the end of the game, Manager, Staff and players showing their passion!

Steve Evans? A k**b as usual. Stomping around the technical area, shouting abuse to Lingy, intimidating the officials. However the Yellow Army gave him more than enough stick! He should of sat down and had a Schooner of Sherry ;-) (Bengull, AlexGulls and Awayday etc should know understand ;-) )

Love being a Torquay United fan ATM, up the Gulls!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Another great day driving around the country following the mighty Gulls. There isn't much to add to what has already been said. To be ushered into a corner like a naughty schoolboy was a complete farce. Being allowed to put up our flags behind the goal amidst chants and pleas from a number of gulls fans to 'Open Up, Open Up' which consistently fell on deaf ears. We were then told that we had to wait while they took our flags down and then finally some idiot decided that as the referee blew his whistle, to open the gate - set a precedent for the days events and deservedly resulted in songs of 'Disgrace to the football league".

The pitch was appalling and I do believe this was the reason for what appeared to be a serious injury to Danny Stevens. The amount of money Crawley have and with Evans' black Range Rover parked neatly right outside the front of the stadium, you do begin to wonder what this club is doing. There is something seriously wrong when you have to call stewards onto the pitch at half time to stamp down huge lumps of grass with their feet with no tools.

I just want to say on the Rene Subject. Tactically, playing Rene up front on his own with Eunan in behind him does leave him somewhat isolated a lot of the time with a lot to do when he does win the ball. Rene is a big lad who has to conserve his energy as shifting himself around takes a lot of energy. Eunan does seem to do most of the chasing down. There did seem to be a number of times when we had the ball in advanced positions but nobody in the box. However, that said, it only takes one shot from Rene and you can have a goal.

Evans got what he deserved today from the singing group - the whole game he was goaded and abused and at one point he had a confrontation with Martin Ling on the touchline which resulted in the fourth official moving him back into his dugout. We got to "14 men couldn't carry Evans..." and counted all the way down - and that takes some stamina. I really love the gulls support and a terrific following turned up today in the sunshine. This game for me was a close tie with Bristol Rovers at the start of the season for the overall atmosphere and support from our fans. It was excellent with all the drumming and singing.

When we scored you could see how much it meant to our players which was fantastic and also after the game the joy was obvious. I agree this is a Crawley side desperately missing their Tubbs/Barrett and they were considerably more disjointed and hopeful than the side that arrived at plainmoor at the beginning of the season. I was convinced at that point they were a side who would be in the top 3.

One things clubs have to remember - and I say this again for a fear of repeating myself. Money does not buy you success. Look at Northampton 6 million in debt and now Crawley buying even more players in a bid to buy success. A team of players who gel, are determined and committed and who play well together for eachother, the manager and the club will beat any team!

Highlight of the day for me was the extended handshake by Martin Ling at the end of the game to Evans - who simply turned away and walked off down the tunnel in a strop.

There is a god! Karma will catch you - it caught PB - you're next Evans!

Looking forward to Tuesday night. Well done everyone.
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

so so so happy we finally got one over on the two fat b*llends! COYY!
The gulls are going up