A curiosity

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
graygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by graygull »

One of the main reasons I find for not posting much these days is the way some of you go over the top to get at each other, very child like and such a shame when folk would rather read comments with staure and relevance to the team.
By the way, I was there that day and still look upon it as the one of the greatest games ever at Plainmoor, don't harp on about it, but store it away in my own memories.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Yet you felt compelled to put across your reasons for "not posting much" with a post devoid of "staure" and relevance to the team yourself. It takes allsorts to make a forum work and the fact that people can express their points of view helps this forum to work in the opinion of most that use it.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

And Southampton Gull calls me Walter. :|

Read back through the thread and see that Walter has more in common with other posters.

Dumb asses. :lol:

I know precisely what Camb was inferring . . . one off cup ties get disproportionate exposure.

Those 4 promotion/relegation/Wembley appearances have all happened on my watch, and incidentally, with ref. to the original post, although I didn't see the game, I've still got my late father's 1965 Spurs ticket.
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Trojan 67 wrote:And Southampton Gull calls me Walter. :|

Read back through the thread and see that Walter has more in common with other posters.

Dumb asses. :lol:

I know precisely what Camb was inferring . . . one off cup ties get disproportionate exposure.

Those 4 promotion/relegation/Wembley appearances have all happened on my watch, and incidentally, with ref. to the original post, although I didn't see the game, I've still got my late father's 1965 Spurs ticket.

That particular match was the catalyst for me to start supporting TUFC in the first place. At Primary school the following Monday, it was all that bruciesbootcleaner wanted to talk about and he delightfully told me that I'd missed a day to remember. Little did I know then that a few years later we would both be pulling on a TUFC shirt and playing on the Plainmoor pitch itself.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Bloody hell. Wivelgull just posts a picture of a ticket that brings back fond memories for himself. Within 2 pages it becomes a slagging match and it is the same old names who seem to want to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

ferrarilover wrote:It's more a slight than a dig, but I'm glad you took the point I was making. At least I made you resort to heresay, this name calling is all very childish, stick to arguing with me, son, you'll do just fine... :~D

Matt.
Careful now Matt, your giant head won't fit through doors soon!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

cambgull wrote:It's actually really despressing that we're still banging on about Tottenham in '65, all it shows is that we have had literally no good draws in the cup since.
I think it was just one of those once in a lifetime moments. I am absolutely sure that if we were drawn against Manchester United, Manchester City, or whoever else may be up around the top of the Premiership these days, it would come nowhere near the sense of excitement and anticipation from the day the draw was made or matching the memories of that game on 9 January 1965 :keepie:
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

cambgull wrote: Trojan, you aren't an idiot, which is why it disappoints me that you've completely overlooked my entire point.

My point is based on what people actually talk about, in real (non-internet based) conversation. It's based on my experience of talking to other Torquay fans throughout the years and sharing various experiences. I would say pretty much every supporter over the age of 50 has dropped into conversation the game(s) against Tottenham yet I have rarely, if ever, had conversations with anyone, of any age on pretty much any of those topics apart from the 2004 promotion.

You've also only mentioned 10 things, which in 50 years is not brilliant when you consider than 6 of them involved pretty cr*p days for the club.

I am also not saying this is a fault of anyone at the club or any of the fans, it's just we never get the plum draw or the luck in a competition. I've been supporting Torquay for around 20 years now and I don't think we've ever drawn a Premiership club considering we've reached the 3rd round multiple times. I guess I just find it strange that the one event many Torquay fans talk most fondly about is an FA Cup tie which we lost... :|

Nothing at all to do with this post whatsoever, but I'm an ex paratrooper, and the main battle honour of the para reg is the battle for the bridge at Arnheim...which they lost! :O

Sadly, the FA cup game in question was just before my time as a supporter! :(
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

stefano wrote: I think it was just one of those once in a lifetime moments. I am absolutely sure that if we were drawn against Manchester United, Manchester City, or whoever else may be up around the top of the Premiership these days, it would come nowhere near the sense of excitement and anticipation from the day the draw was made or matching the memories of that game on 9 January 1965 :keepie:
Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, but it does involve looking back at something with different eyes and in a land that time has forgotten.

In those days there is no doubt it was a huge event but to put it into context;

There was no Sky
The only live football was the FA Cup final and internationals watched in black and white on a low definition small rounded screen TV.
The European cup was contested by the champions of a country.
Going to Wembley was an impossible dream (there were no play-offs or Paint Pot trophies).

The aforementioned would mean that if the draw was repeated now that it would still be a big event, but not huge. The currency has been devalued my friend.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

yellow wrote: Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, but it does involve looking back at something with different eyes and in a land that time has forgotten.

There was no Sky
The only live football was the FA Cup final and internationals watched in black and white on a low definition small rounded screen TV.
Going to Wembley was an impossible dream (there were no play-offs or Paint Pot trophies).

The aforementioned would mean that if the draw was repeated now that it would still be a big event, but not huge. The currency has been devalued my friend.
Where did clouds live?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

What have you done Matt ? You put your reply in amongst yellow's post. :lol:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

yellow wrote:
Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, but it does involve looking back at something with different eyes and in a land that time has forgotten.

There was no Sky

Top post yellow. :bow:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I fixed it for him, Troj ;-)
Dave

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Southampton Gull wrote:I fixed it for him, Troj ;-)
:bow:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Cheers Dave, not sure what I did wrong, and I didn't even notice, myself.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"