A curiosity

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

A curiosity

Post by wivelgull »

I found this tucked away in a book.
http://www.torquayfans.com/download/fil ... 3eb1284096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
1965 ticket.jpeg
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I used to work with a Tottenham fan who went to that game and he gave me the programme before he retired as a farewell gift.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Ah that brings back a few mammories
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

It's actually really despressing that we're still banging on about Tottenham in '65, all it shows is that we have had literally no good draws in the cup since.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Not sad at all. We have had a few good cup draws and brilliant victories too. But it would be a bit on the Dumb side to mention them when the ticket and subject is the Spurs game in 65
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that we played that game and we nearly put them out of the cup, that's great. It's the fact that it's still the talk of many people who were alive then and spoken about possibly more than the promotion in 2004 or various other moments in our history. It only shows that, after nearly 50 years since that game, we've not really done much else of real note since.
Luke.

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

cambgull wrote:I'm not saying it's a bad thing that we played that game and we nearly put them out of the cup, that's great. It's the fact that it's still the talk of many people who were alive then and spoken about possibly more than the promotion in 2004 or various other moments in our history. It only shows that, after nearly 50 years since that game, we've not really done much else of real note since.

Promotion - 1965/66
Relegation - 1971-72
Sherpa Van Trophy Finalists - 1989
Promotion - 1990/91
Relegation - 1991/92
Promotion - 2003/04
Relegation - 2004/05
Relegation – 2006/07
FA Trophy Finalists – 2008
Promotion – 2008/09

I guess then that 4 promotions, 4 relegations and 5 Wembley appearances amounts to "not really done much else of real note since".

:|
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

Trojan 67 wrote:

Promotion - 1965/66
Relegation - 1971-72
Sherpa Van Trophy Finalists - 1989
Promotion - 1990/91
Relegation - 1991/92
Promotion - 2003/04
Relegation - 2004/05
Relegation – 2006/07
FA Trophy Finalists – 2008
Promotion – 2008/09

I guess then that 4 promotions, 4 relegations and 5 Wembley appearances amounts to "not really done much else of real note since".

:|
Trojan, you aren't an idiot, which is why it disappoints me that you've completely overlooked my entire point.

My point is based on what people actually talk about, in real (non-internet based) conversation. It's based on my experience of talking to other Torquay fans throughout the years and sharing various experiences. I would say pretty much every supporter over the age of 50 has dropped into conversation the game(s) against Tottenham yet I have rarely, if ever, had conversations with anyone, of any age on pretty much any of those topics apart from the 2004 promotion.

You've also only mentioned 10 things, which in 50 years is not brilliant when you consider than 6 of them involved pretty cr*p days for the club.

I am also not saying this is a fault of anyone at the club or any of the fans, it's just we never get the plum draw or the luck in a competition. I've been supporting Torquay for around 20 years now and I don't think we've ever drawn a Premiership club considering we've reached the 3rd round multiple times. I guess I just find it strange that the one event many Torquay fans talk most fondly about is an FA Cup tie which we lost... :|
Luke.

Aussie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Aussie »

cambgull wrote:
Trojan, you aren't an idiot, which is why it disappoints me that you've completely overlooked my entire point.
The idiot could be the one who didn`t make it very clear about what they were failing to clarify! :devil: Trojan makes total sense in his post( for once ), we`ve been on a roller coaster ride for ages with more appearances at Womblerly than most teams in the land can boast recently ( last two decades ), especially our Devon and Cornish nieghbours, now for a League 2 and recently Conference team we have had one hell of an interesting journey! Sounds to me like you want to try and out brag the likes of Man.U and the glory teams, get real ( Madrid )! Should we buy Rooney and Messi and push for the Champions League? :-/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Isn't it horrible, Camb, when you make a perfectly valid post, and people get the wrong end of the stick over and over and over again, no matter how many times you try to explain...?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

Well even though I'm sure your post is partly a dig at me, you are correct Matt, its quite annoying.

As for Aussie, your post is just ridiculous, like most of your posts. If you don't have anything intelligent to say, then go and support Argyle with your fellow knuckle draggers!
Luke.

Aussie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Aussie »

cambgull wrote:Well even though I'm sure your post is partly a dig at me, you are correct Matt, its quite annoying.

As for Aussie, your post is just ridiculous, like most of your posts. If you don't have anything intelligent to say, then go and support Argyle with your fellow knuckle draggers!
I`m not Cornish pal! My ancestry comes from Torquay! Your the knuckle dragger that started to call someone an idiot when your point was questioned! How about you f*ck off and support your local Cornish outfit like the true Pilgram you are!
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

Aussie wrote: I`m not Cornish pal! My ancestry comes from Torquay! Your the knuckle dragger that started to call someone an idiot when your point was questioned! How about you f*ck off and support your local Cornish outfit like the true Pilgram you are!
Firstly, I actually said that he wasn't an idiot, which was why I was surprised he missed my point. I'm guessing they didn't teach kids to read at your school. ;-)

Secondly, you should try using your brain cell and making up your own jokes, rather than trying to use mine in a "if you are, then what am I then?!" kind of way.

Thirdly, you need to learn the difference between "you" and "you're".

Fourthly, the apostrophe button is between the ';' button and the '#' button, not the one next to the '1' button.

It's a shame you aren't particularly intelligent because we could have a good argument otherwise! :red:
Luke.

bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

girls girls calm it down please!
still keeping the faith
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

It's more a slight than a dig, but I'm glad you took the point I was making. At least I made you resort to heresay, this name calling is all very childish, stick to arguing with me, son, you'll do just fine... :~D

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"