I was wrong about Lingy.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

I was wrong about Lingy.

Post by tktufc91 »

At the start of this season when Martin Ling was announced as Manager, I was well...furious. I don't know why i was so angry about him, probably because I saw what he did at Cambridge and forgot about his brilliant run he had with Orient.

My expectations for this season were for us to finish in the lower reaches of the table with absolutely no hope of even thinking of finishing in the top half, let alone pushing for promotion again.

Well, Martin, I was wrong about you. What you have done with us so far this season has been nothing short of outstanding. Not only have you had to deal with the whole B**kle saga from after the play-offs, you managed to beat him in his own back yard, do the double over the Argyle and now go on this incredible run of results.

You kept faith with the players when we went on this horrible run earlier in the season and now we are reaping the rewards from it.

Whatever happens from now until the end of this season, this has been a season to remember for us. A little club like ours with a little budget are currently joint top of League Two, with the likes of Crawley and Swindon, who have budgets we could only dream of having available to us.

Could we possibly do one better than last season and possibly find ourselves in League One? Why not!! Can we go up automatically? Why not!!! Can we go up as Champions? WHY NOT!!!

This is a great time to be a Gulls fan. I'm enjoying the ride and long may it continue.

MARTIN LING'S YELLOW ARMY!!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

I was right :bow:
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I was wrong too. It's funny how Brucie always disapears when the gulls are doing well and is back with a bang when the lose. About time he came on here and said he was wrong aswell but like that will ever happen.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yep, there are more than a few Tufc fan's eating a large slice of humble pie right now.I remembered his time at orient where he had a similar budget to here, had to make the best of he had, and brought young players through, Orient would not be where they are today if it had not been for ling in my opinion, yes he had a complete disaster at Cambridge, why ? who knows there are two sides to every story, however I do understand why there fans feel about Martin Ling the way they do.

I said at the time you can spin Martin Lings management record which ever way you want to suit your argument, some will say never mind Orient , he sucked at Cambridge, other wil say forget Cambridge he never really understood the conference like he does league 2.

At the time when every one on here bar a few were losing there heads over Lingys apointment, I was very proud to have written this thread..http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2024..I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; still am, and still stand by every word written.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Martin has done a fantastic job at Torquay. Even if we don't finish in the play-offs this year, I think that it would be a successful season for Ling and Torquay United. However, I hope that we can still stay at the top of the table and fight for promotion.

I was just looking at the league two satistics and they look quite good for Torquay United.

Form Guide

1. Swindon P6 W6 D0 L0 F14 A3 GD 11 PTS 18
2. Torquay P6 W6 D0 LO F8 A2 GD 6 PTS 18
3. Barnet P6 W4 D1 L1 F9 A2 GD 7 PTS 13

Leading Scorers (just TUFC)

Lee Mansell - 8
Rene Howe - 7
Danny, Nico and Eunan - 4
Tai and Ellis - 3
Morris and Mcphee - 2
Saah - 1
(Robbo also with 1 before the left)

Assists (just TUFC)

Eunan O'Kane - 6
Kevin Nicholson - 4
Lee Mansell - 4
Danny and Howe - 3 - (Robbo - 3)
Ian Morris - 2
Mark Ellis - 2
Lathrope - 1
- (Bodin - 1)

Shooting

Torquay United - On Target 176 - Off Target 170 - Hit Woodwork 14

Eunan O'Kane (highest satistic with shooting) ON T 22 - OFF T 24 - HW 3

We have won 7/7 in 2012 (only us and Swindon has achieved that in the whole country).

It's been 9 games since we last lost!

Clean Sheets

1. Torquay - 14
= Swindon - 14
2. Shrewsbury - 12

Torquay have used 23 players this year; compared to Northampton with 42, Bradford and Aldershot with 38 and Swindon with 36.

Bobby Olejnik and Kevin Nicholson are the only players that have played every game this season. Mansell, O'Kane and Oastler have played 29.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

I wasn't wrong, or particularly right. Think I was in the same camp as quite of a few of us in that I thought "Well, let's give him a go and see what happens".

Can't lie though, when we were struggling in September I was getting a bit worried!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I was very angry and rude about the appointment of Martin Ling.
I wholeheartedly apologise as I was completely out of order with my comments.
I am glad Mr Ling has made me look a complete tool - well done to you sir!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I think a lot of our frustrations and anger was not at Ling or the club but the shockwaves from Buckle's departure and the way who took some of our (then) key players. I am lloking forward to League 1 with Ling, I think he has much better contacts than Buckle, better tactics and he will be a manager to keep us in League 1.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Buckle would have spent a fortune trying and inevitably failing miserably to keep us there.

You get the feeling Dinger will do it within our means and without moaning about the budget every 5 minutes!
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

forevertufc wrote:Yep, there are more than a few Tufc fan's eating a large slice of humble pie right now.I remembered his time at orient where he had a similar budget to here, had to make the best of he had, and brought young players through, Orient would not be where they are today if it had not been for ling in my opinion, yes he had a complete disaster at Cambridge, why ? who knows there are two sides to every story, however I do understand why there fans feel about Martin Ling the way they do.

I said at the time you can spin Martin Lings management record which ever way you want to suit your argument, some will say never mind Orient , he sucked at Cambridge, other wil say forget Cambridge he never really understood the conference like he does league 2.

At the time when every one on here bar a few were losing there heads over Lingys apointment, I was very proud to have written this thread..http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2024..I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; still am, and still stand by every word written.
Well if you are going to play that game Forza I wrote at the time:

http://torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... eld#p33844" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However we are a fickle old bunch, myself included. You start losing again Dinger and I’ll be on your case... :)
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Apart from Westbay,is anyone still clamouring for Chris Hargreaves as manager ?

Or Nicky Forster ? :no:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"